Writing winter off

can u fish

Well it has been 11 years since my wife and I have been in the Cottage Resort business and have never experienced a winter like this ice conditions have been so bad all winter I have not been able to get any of the ice huts out and to go along with that none of our snowmobile trails have opened here in District 10 in our area of the pssd and after hearing Dave Phillips from Environment Canada on the news this afternoon saying that the worst of winter may be behind us I have decided to write this winter off as the saying goes it is what it is and that is my rant for the day.

Cheers Mitch

Lake Trout doesn't even open until Feb 15th in 11, but not sure that even Lake Temagami will be sleddible (if that's a word) by then. Currently snow covered, ice crust, then 12" of water under that and then about 8" of ice in the NE Arm. The South Arm apparently only has 2" of ice. It was open water back on January 12th! Glad we moved our boys trip out about 10 days from normal.

Edited by irishfield

I've been pondering, when do I take my winters off? Its such a crap shoot, +4 today, with the new job I work downtown Toronto, but I'm up and at em starting work at 6am so I can beat the traffic by heading out at 2:30 doing this much driving daily (150kms give or take) I'd like to take them off sooner than later but how do we gauge it this year lol

I'm glad my boat insurance policy has no season restrictions. Stays like this and I'll be trolling for Browns before the Easter and the clocks change. :clapping: After the last couple years, us softwater fans are 'bout due an extended season. Last time we had an early spring my season was not too shabby

DSCF11292_zps0cd7749e.jpg

A number of local lads up here in Kugaaruk have offered to take me ice fishing if I come back in June/July.

Asked why not now and told it's too cold and the ice is 10 feet thick. They say that while I notice children are still outside playing on the weekends at 3:00am and nearly -50C with the windchill.

Anyways, hopefully things turn around for you Mitch. A piece of your livelihood at stake with winter conditions and no winter happening, doesn't make life any easier.

A number of local lads up here in Kugaaruk have offered to take me ice fishing if I come back in June/July.

Asked why not now and told it's too cold and the ice is 10 feet thick.  They say that while I notice children are still outside playing on the weekends at 3:00am and nearly -50C with the windchill.

Anyways, hopefully things turn around for you Mitch.  A piece of your livelihood at stake with winter conditions and no winter happening, doesn't make life any easier.