Okeechobee intel ???

ROOK

Greetings ...may have the opportunity for a destination wedding in Ft Myers Florida at the end of November and of course that is close to lake Okeechobee !! If this all happens does anyone have any suggestions of bass guides to use on the lake ???? Thanks in advance, ROOK

Who wants a 12lb bass when a 3lb ladyfish out fights it, lol.

I do !

Its the same thing when you guys drive all over Ontario and the U.S. to chase steelhead when you can catch bigger fish in the east tribs

( or as you say "ditches " )

Who wants a 12lb bass when a 3lb ladyfish out fights it, lol. I do ! Its the same thing when you guys drive all over Ontario and the U.S. to chase steelhead when you can catch bigger fish in the east tribs ( or as you say "ditches " )

There's reason why I don't fish the east ditches, it's not because of the fish :)

Not a big expert on Okeechobee but I've done a fair bit of research on fishing opportunities in Florida over the years. I do know that you'll see a very heavy tournament schedule in November with multiple local events every weekend through the month. It's kind of like July up here.

you can see those listed on FLBASSTOURNAMENTS.com and the marinas they run out of.

I've fished bass a few times down there with a guide and yes you could "luck" into a 12 pounder but you're probably be a little disappointed. Even shiner fishing on Kissimee, my biggest was 5 lbs and big fish for that week was 7.5lbs. I'd trade all of my 3 bass fishing trips in florida for just 1 saltwater inshore trip

In Fort Meyers, you're right on top of one of Florida's greatest inshore fisheries for snook, trout and just offshore around Sanibel there's tons of man made reef structure. Novembers a little late for a good redfish bite.

Go get 1 Goliath grouper or a 6ft black tip shark and then talk to me about bass fishing. Estero bay just south of Fort Meyers is world famous

Hands down don't ever pass up saltwater to go dunk some shiners for bass. Took me a few trips to realize that and if I'm going to spend money fishing it'll be saltwater every time

This fish literally destroyed me. I mean down right pulled me around the boat like a rag doll. That smile lasted the whole day and then some!

DSCF9511_zps53742b13.jpg

Not to hijack this thread, but i may as well ask a couple of questions too then? is it actually that hard to catch 5+ bass in florida?

the boys and I have considered haulin the tinner down there to do some camping/bassing

yes ive fished salt, and I am obviously aware that it is literally insane...hook into a baby tarpon and youve got 12 lbs of high flying pure fury on your line.

My concern is with boat access etc.

Obviously if you are going to pay a guide, then yes go salt 100%

but if you are hauling a tinner down for the spawn, then what?

Edited by AKRISONER

Funny someone should mention Lady Fish. Those buggers jump 6-8 feet out of the water when you hook them.

Bass have been heavily pressured in Florida over the years and many of those bigguns were kept judging by the old pictures in many of the tackle stores. Lots of water to try though and they do grow big there. I would try a smaller lake that is easier to pick apart.

Texas might be a better destination for monster bass.

Going to take notes, got to do some Flordia bass fishing one day! Let us know if you get a good guide. I'd start at the Rolan Martin Marina....yea saltwater fish run and fight but figuring out how to get a few 7 or 8+lbr largies in the boat would be amazing and something you just can't do up here and is something only a bass fisherman will understand. Florida, Texas, Mexico is the pinnacle for big bass we are blessed to have such clean lakes and fish up here but the chance at a 8lb+ are soo slim unless your pounding the pothole lakes up north. There will always be bigger and badder fish but if you don't care for it it won't ever matter...I couldn't care for salt water and assume this might be your direction also.

Good luck in your search!

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I'd go saltwater as well if it was me. Joey Benko out of Naples is a top notch guide, about an hour from Ft. Myers. Not too familiar with many Ft. Myers guides. If you really wanna go for bass I'd skip the big O and go for the Toho chain or Lake Istokpoga. Lake O seems to have more 1-3lbers and the odd 7+lber. You'll catch more and bigger bass in Toho. Lots of pros think the next record stringer will come from either Toho or Falcon Lake in Texas. Google Toho vs. Okeechobee and you'll see people saying the same thing.

Edited by B_Dan

Lake Okeechobee Giant Bass Battle Part 1 - Scott Martin vs. Jacob Wheeler - YouTube

Although this video seems like a running commercial it gives an idea on what the fishing is like, it is dated 2013.

A guide is your best bet for a big fish, it's a huge lake with a lot of slop, not all the slop holds big fish though. One of my buddies went there years ago and got a 10+ fish shiner fishing with a guide, his biggest fish without a guide was only 6+, so a guide is an edge unless you have time?

Expect to pay a premium for wild shiners, evidently they work better than farmed ones. Plenty of videos on youtube to get ideas from.

I am surprised nobody has come up with this solution, fish Toho for bass on the first day and fish saltwater another day

I bet if the OP did saltwater the first day, there would be no bass fishing on day 2

I was faced with the same decision, decided not to book anything until I was done work and shop around down there....I didn't do any largemouth fishing lol

to the OP, you're not that far from the everglades national park, I did a day trip there, even if there were no fish involved just boating around there was awesome

another thing not mentioned yet, is party boat fishing...it's cheap, about 40-50$ I found, you can bring your own drinks and snacks, and good chance of catching some cool new fish....they provide all the tackle, but you can also bring your own too....they motor out and drift over the reefs, motor back and repeat drift.....if you introduce yourself to the captain before you go out, or the first mate, slip them a few extra bucks and mention you'd love to hook into a sail...they told me to stay close to the kite rods, well worth it!!!

there is also peacock bass available, which I didn't do, but I would certainly try them out before any largemouth fishing

whatever you do, you're going to have a blast, hope you post some pics!