A Legend Passed Away Yesterday

mike rousseau

Well I'm now home alone for the first time in the past 24hours and don't know what to do with myself. Last night I received an emergency call at work from my mother. The hospital had called her to tell her that my grandfather had taken a turn for the worst and asked that I come get her. We were in his hospital room in less then 30 minutes but it was too late. My grandfather had already passed away.

We weren't extremely close but he still had a huge influence on my life. My grandfather was a full time fishing guide on the St.Larence as well as a rod builder. He has been in several magazines and caught fish I could only dream of....

One of the most meaningful item we have come across so far is a log of every rod he ever sold... Basically a list of names of all the greatest local fisherman over the past 30-40 years... They all used his rods... My name was there... My dad... My uncle... And all the other names I heard in the fishing tales growing up. Then we found 2 custom rods that he had made but never sold... And in his tackle box was 2 beautiful diawa reels in crown royal bags... So my brother and I will each have a handmade combo to remember him by...

Anyways here's a pic I found that completely sums him up

I'll miss you forever grandpa "Biss"

image_1.jpg

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, words won't cure the pain but time will. Just keep him in your heart, every once in a while when you are out fishing remember to look up and thank him for the person you are today because of what he did in his life.

God bless!

Big Cliff

Sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you & your family. It's funny you should mention that he stored those 2 reels in a crown royal bag. My late father stored his fish stringer in a crown royal bag. I still have it today & it is in my boat every trip out on the lake.

It was my late grandfather that turned me onto fishing as well....

There are still times, when zoned out on the boat I think of our time together and the lessons taught.

I hold those close to my heart and carry them with me. I hope your able to do the same.

G

Sorry to hear Mike. Your grandfather sounds like an interesting guy and by all accounts was an iconic figure within the angling community. The best way anyone can honour the memory of their loved ones is to pick up the torch and carry on the same traditions they started. By the looks of things you're doing just that.