An open letter to Justin

Big Cliff

of course it will be a financial one.

i'm not sure your correlation between the legalization of pot and the potential increase in hemp production however.

Steve I mention it only because once the taboo on the THC version is lifted, hopefully we will have leaders with enough brains to let farmers that want to go back to growing hemp. Like they did before refer madness took over... Of course I realize the lawyers, and cops will have to try to keep it out so there will big legal hassles about legal pot vs illegal pot, but hemp makes sense for so many reasons....

sorry , busy working. now back to income splitting...bear with me, I'm still on a high from the jays staying alive ;)

let's say two parents with young kids not in school. if they're making $100k between the two (let's say they're both making $50K each). more than likely their kids will need to be in day care and in Ontario, that's going to run around $1200 per month. less elsewhere but then salaries may be lower as well so it's a wash ?

Now let's say richer family is single income and wife stays home with kids. that's keeping daycare costs in their pockets.

two people making less per year shouldn't, imo, have to pay as much as a single earner making what the couple is making.

won't even get into single parent households which obviously won't benefit from the split.

if we all agreed on everything this would be a boring board but this is my take.

I still say let's see how things shake out, unfortunately or fortunately depending on your political bent, nothing can be done till the four years runs out. so fingers crossed. tightly lol

Edited by woodenboater

The employer won't change anything Steve... no different than Booze and Opioids being legal. You still can't be tuned out on them at work, especially if you flying, running a crane, press, shear, etc, etc, etc.

The month time frame of course is bogus and should always have been, as what you do on your days off is your business and why many of my employees had no problems sitting in my back yard on a Sunday as I didn't care.

Oh, of course you can't do it before or during work.

Steve I mention it only because once the taboo on the THC version is lifted, hopefully we will have leaders with enough brains to let farmers that want to go back to growing hemp. Like they did before refer madness took over... Of course I realize the lawyers, and cops will have to try to keep it out so there will big legal hassles about legal pot vs illegal pot, but hemp makes sense for so many reasons....

Agreed on the value of hemp. However, I'm not truly sure we will see an increase in use based on the legalization of marijuana. (hope I'm wrong)

Agreed on the value of hemp. However, I'm not truly sure we will see an increase in use based on the legalization of marijuana. (hope I'm wrong)

I hope the politicians are smart enough to allow it, it would it could be a great product to develop quite a few jobs around. Bio fuel, natural food products and remedies. News print used to be a big plus but print media is dying....

Well said..I couldn't agree more..

I heard today on the radio that the the Cons are courting Ben Mulroney for the next party leader.. Interesting move.

Also as far as JT being to young and under experienced, isint he just one year younger then when Harper was elected?

Are you sure it wasn't Mark Mulroney? I saw his name mentioned.

He is also a son of Brian Mulroney. But, as a Managing Director of the National Bank of Canada, he would probably be taken more seriously than his older brother.

sorry , busy working. now back to income splitting...bear with me, I'm still on a high from the jays staying alive ;)

let's say two parents with young kids not in school. if they're making $100k between the two (let's say they're both making $50K each). more than likely their kids will need to be in day care and in Ontario, that's going to run around $1200 per month. less elsewhere but then salaries may be lower as well so it's a wash ?

Now let's say richer family is single income and wife stays home with kids. that's keeping daycare costs in their pockets.

two people making less per year shouldn't, imo, have to pay as much as a single earner making what the couple is making.

won't even get into single parent households which obviously won't benefit from the split.

if we all agreed on everything this would be a boring board but this is my take.

I still say let's see how things shake out, unfortunately or fortunately depending on your political bent, nothing can be done till the four years runs out. so fingers crossed. tightly lol

That is an excellent way to look at it and I'll fully endorse that reasoning considering my wife and I make almost exactly the same amount of money per year.

I certainly wouldn't want to work with anyone who is either drunk or stoned.. it's just too dangerous! The whole drug and alcohol thing came out of the US headquarters along with a ban on toasters,hot plates, etc.. Being treated like children was their way of preventing lawsuits but they never understood that our culture is different than theirs not to mention we really don't sue our employers like they do in the states... I'm not too big on the idea of full legalization at the moment... will people be able to smoke it while in public places?? What age will limit will apply?? Not that it isn't already widely available for them....

I certainly wouldn't want to work with anyone who is either drunk or stoned.. it's just too dangerous! The whole drug and alcohol thing came out of the US headquarters along with a ban on toasters,hot plates, etc.. Being treated like children was their way of preventing lawsuits but they never understood that our culture is different than theirs not to mention we really don't sue our employers like they do in the states... I'm not too big on the idea of full legalization at the moment... will people be able to smoke it while in public places?? What age will limit will apply?? Not that it isn't already widely available for them....

I think it'll be limited to at home only, or in special "cafes" at the most. You're right though, being drunk or high at work no matter what your profession is a bad idea, but making it legally available isn't going to change that. You have reasonable concerns but I think they all have pretty simple solutions/answers.

The only thing they need is a proper way to test people for intoxication like a Breathalyzer. The 28 day thing is from a drug test since the chemicals from marijuana stay in your fat cells and it takes longer for your system to flush them. (that's the popular rumour I've been told - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Legalize it already. For recreation as well. The same bud is used for both situations, if you think its different your sadly mistaken. I don't think these old fart politicians should be making the rules on cannabis when most say they have never tried it. Maybe get a panel of long time cannabis users and scientists to sit down and hammer out a new policy.

It should be regulated and taxed but not over taxed because that will just defeat the purpose of getting rid of the black market. Growing your own has to be included as well. Most people will go to the store to buy it anyways just like tomatoes.

Taking cannabis is a great way to maintain good health. Ingesting the oil is the best way but smoking is the easiest for most since oil capsules are not readily available. Topical cremes and tinctures are going to be a huge part of the business in the near future.

My 80 yr old mother has arthritis in her knee and foot that's been bothering her for awhile. A few weeks ago I ordered her some marijuana cream to put on the affected areas. She has been applying it two or three times a day for the last couple weeks and when I spoke to her yesterday she said she has been pain free for about 3 days now. The cream is infused with cannabis resin and is 100% natural ingredients.

As for me I have been a consumer for forty years and haven't had to take a prescription drug for at least thirty five years and am in perfect health at 55 yrs of age. I also live a healthy lifestyle of course, don't smoke, not much of a drinker, and no fast foods and very little fried foods. Call me what you will but I think the use of cannabis has played a large part in maintaining my good health.

M.D.s quite frankly scare the crap out of me. I look at how unhealthy society is and have to say I give them a failing grade. There the best when it comes to trauma because that is what their trained for. But for nutrition there the last person you should be talking to. They have no interest in curing disease or even want to know why you have it. All they are interested in is managing disease because you are a customer to them. Sad to say but that is how I feel People have to start taking control of their own health if you want to stay healthy. End of rant lol.

You can write off 8 or 9k in daycare (against the lower income) if you are both working.

Edited by cram

wow, that's a huge write off. can you tell I don't have kids ;)

It usually costs a lot more than that, so you still come out behind.

If in Toronto and not able to find a good home based daycare, you're likely 18k+ per year per kid. It's pretty crazy, especially if you have 2+ kids.

Weed apparently cures everything, lol.

Bill, The tone of your post leads me to believe you're in the "anti" camp. If I'm wrong then the rest of my comment will miss the mark, but I'm going to go there anyways...

An open question for the "anti" camp

I had a hard week at work. We all do, that's nothing special or deserving of any sympathy. I'm just setting the tone here. I have too many vacation days left (I have to use them or lose them), so I booked today off at the last minute.

This morning I slept in a little. When got up, I made a coffee and went out back on the patio to have a little puff. I sat out there for about an hour. It was cold, but warm enough sitting in the sun. The air was crisp and fresh. I listened to the birds sing, and paid attention to the sights and sounds of the forest. I felt the stress of the week melt away, and I felt fully present in the moment and connected to the world around me. I'm recharged, literally.

I'm curious if you can tell me, did my actions this morning affect you in any way? Did they affect society in any way? Have I been unreasonable in my actions or in any way overstepped the freedoms I have (or should have) in this country?

I ask because I'm not sure what skin you have in the game. I want to understand what makes people so against my freedom on this issue.

Edited by Dutch01

Bill, The tone of your post leads me to believe you're in the "anti" camp. If I'm wrong then the rest of my comment will miss the mark, but I'm going to go there anyways...

I had a hard week at work. We all do, that's nothing special or deserving of any sympathy. I'm just setting the tone here. I have too many vacation days left (I have to use them or lose them), so I booked today off at the last minute.

This morning I slept in a little. When got up, I made a coffee and went out back on the patio to have a little puff. I sat out there for about an hour. It was cold, but warm enough sitting in the sun. The air was crisp and fresh. I listened to the birds sing, and paid attention to the sights and sounds of the forest. I felt the stress of the week melt away, and I felt fully present in the moment and connected to the world around me. I'm recharged, literally.

I'm curious if you can tell me, did my actions this morning affect you in any way? Did they affect society in any way? Have I been unreasonable in my actions or in any way overstepped the freedoms I have (or should have) in this country?

I ask because I'm not sure what skin you have in the game. I want to understand what makes people so against my freedom on this issue.

I'm not anti weed at all. Legalize it, tax it and be done with it. It won't be any different then going to the LCBO to buy your fav bottle of whiskey.

People just need to admit why they want it(Like you just did).. Enough with all the other excuses, it's the same reason I like a whiskey now and again.

Edited by BillM

Mulroney = Free Trade that's how we started the raise to the bottom. If you're going to compete with the US you first need to reduce wages and benefits to the American level. The problem is the wages and benefits have dropped over the past 20 years but the cost of goods hasn't, including houses.

It took Mulroney to clean up the mess from the first Trudeau, then Harper to clean up after Chretien

The big question is who will clean this Trudeau who is our least qualified PM of all time.

I really hope everyone else was smarter than me on this one as I really do not get it