An open letter to Justin

Big Cliff

You know, the pharma system is funny(well sad actually, depending on how you look at it)

I sprained my knee 3 weeks back. I went in just a precaution. Xrays are fine no real damage, just ice and heat and time to heal.

Dr offers oxycodone. Ummm no thanks, its hurts but im not dying(ive had hundreds of these injuries from skatebaording and snowboarding)

Well then here is some tylenol #3's.

Um no thanks, im just hear to make sure there is no structural damage.

Well you need to take something? Ummm no i dont, maybe an ibuprophen here and there.

Well here is a script for ibuprophen.

No thanks, i have some at home.

Edited by manitoubass2

A few specific examples of shadiness between drug companies and the white-lab-coat-wearers:

1. Johnson & Johnson was recently caught paying commissions (kickbacks) to pharmacists, for selling (ie recommending) their drugs. J&J was forced to pay $2.2 billion to settle this fraud case. [1]

2. Doctors are often hired to help promote drugs. They will essentially go from MD's to VP's of Marketing, and travel around the country giving talks to promote the drugs. These presentations are made to look & feel like it's just the doctor telling you about the latest research, but the pharmaceutical companies typically write the script.

PBS did a great interview with a couple Harvard Medical School professors, discussing the ethical greyness of this. [2]

3. In 2005 Medicare cracked down on payments cancer doctors were getting to treat patients in their clinics. The result? Way less billing of these treatments, in one year in went from $5.6 billion to $4.4 billion. So, how did doctors respond? They started recommending the most profitable treatments, regardless of whether it was the best for patients. [3]

You know, the pharma system is funny(well sad actually, depending on how you look at it)

I sprained my knee 3 weeks back. I went in just a precaution. Xrays are fine no real damage, just ice and heat and time to heal.

Dr offers oxycodone. Ummm no thanks, its hurts but im not dying(ive had hundreds of these injuries from skatebaording and snowboarding)

Well then here is some tylenol #3's.

Um no thanks, im just hear to make sure there is no structural damage.

Well you need to take something? Ummm no i dont, maybe an ibuprophen here and there.

Well here is a script for ibuprophen.

No thanks, i have some at home.

And which type of drug comes up most often as extremely dangerous and abused by teenagers? Which drugs have the highest incidence of habit forming? And doctors love giving these out like candy on Halloween.

I know it looks like I'm doing a complete 180 here, but I still think there's a bit of a double standard if marijuana is a medicine and a recreational drug.

Bill, clearly I misread you on this, my apologies. I'll edit my post accordingly!

Dutch

PS: I like a good rye whiskey now and then too. If you want to try something new, try it on ice with coconut water. Rum is even better like this.

No need to edit anything man :) And that coconut water trick sounds good! I'll give it a shot tonight :)

I'm not anti weed at all. Legalize it, tax it and be done with it. It won't be any different then going to the LCBO to buy your fav bottle of whiskey.

People just need to admit why they want it(Like you just did).. Enough with all the other excuses, it's the same reason I like a whiskey now and again.

wrong again Rona

Edited by GbayGiant

Zeitgeist was good until it got into the 911 "truthers". If anything it opened my eyes to how one sided and misleading "documentaries" can be.

Most of them are nowadays, each film usually has an agenda

It rarely ever shows both sides.

I watched one on fracking that was just a horrible misrepresentation of facts

Most of them are nowadays, each film usually has an agenda

It rarely ever shows both sides.

I watched one on fracking that was just a horrible misrepresentation of facts

was it the one where the guys water is flammable? Yeah, that was 100% fabricated.

I'm not anti weed at all. Legalize it, tax it and be done with it. It won't be any different then going to the LCBO to buy your fav bottle of whiskey.

People just need to admit why they want it(Like you just did).. Enough with all the other excuses, it's the same reason I like a whiskey now and again.

With you on that. I think there are some legitimate medicinal purposes for weed but some people act like it's a cure-all miracle drug.

The main reason people want it legalized is for recreational use, and I think that's a good enough.

To those clamoring that weed is harmful etc, I'll only hear it if you have the same views on alcohol (ban both, or support both).

I have a few alcoholic friends/acquaintances, and I'd replace their addiction with weed in a HEARTBEAT.

With you on that. I think there are some legitimate medicinal purposes for weed but some people act like it's a cure-all miracle drug.

The main reason people want it legalized is for recreational use, and I think that's a good enough.

To those clamoring that weed is harmful etc, I'll only hear it if you have the same views on alcohol (ban both, or support both).

I have a few alcoholic friends/acquaintances, and I'd replace their addiction with weed in a HEARTBEAT.

cure all??... far from it!!!!.

but it does a better job for what it is used for than any pharma made medications. :)

You need to read up. :)

Edited by GbayGiant

cure all??... far from it!!!!.

but it does a better job for what it is used for than any pharma made medications. :)

You need to read up. :)

I find it really helps with my tinnitus that I've had for 20 years, few tokes, crank up the tunes and the sound of crunching Doritos and it totally disappears :rofl2: