Am I asking too much here? Warranty issue NF

misfish

After cleaning up the truck on the weekend, I noticed that there was some cracking going on in between the treads of the front tire. I checked the other three and sure enough, they were showing the same. So, I go to a local tire guy and ask about it. He says that shouldnt be happening with 15 g km on them. Take it to Chrysler under warranty.

So I do. I thought it would be a quick yes, that shouldnt be happening, BUT, NO.

I get, the tires are not a Chrysler product, you need to go to a good year dealer and have it taken care of. I checked on line and it does say that on the chrysler site. UNREAL

OK, I will

So go to one here in Barrie. They take the tread wear and call Good year. Good year says yes, we will offer up new ones, BUT, you will need to pay the difference of the wear.

OK I will , not comfortable with that but better then nothing.

So I get the total cost. 470 dollars. This includes tax as well.I say what heck. They are only 30% used. Turns out I have to pay for labour and ballancing and evironmental fee.

Does warranty not mean, replace at the cost of tread usuage only?

Im not pleased here.

Am I wrong here, or is this the norm ?

Gord, please help.LOL

Edited by Brian B

Strike one for Goodyear!

Got in Sue's Toyota the other day, saw the warning light on for low tire pressure. Looked at the tire and it seemed ok so I drove it to the Toyota dealership.

They took a look and found a nail in the side wall of the tire. They replaced the tire and when I went to pay they informed me it was covered as "road hazzard", no charge!

Love Toyota, anyone else would have dinged me $300.00 for a new tire and labour.

The warranty is on the tire the tire was pro rated and provided to you. You then deal with the merchant to have it mounted and balanced. The tire manufacturer will not pay the merchant for the labor they will only replace the tire in his stock. It is a fairly common occurrence in business now a days. When I buy parts from the warehouse they have a clause you sign that they are not liable for labor, lost wages, damages and other incidentals if the part is defective. You flood a house with a cracked 5 cent ferrule and they send you a new ferrule. It is up to me to decide if the installation of the new part after the warranty is free or not. Dealerships will in some cases extend the good will to do this for free since you bought a car from them so this small expenditure of labor is covered in the past profit and future good will of the customer. The tire shop does not make enough profit in future sales to you to recover the lost time and expenditure of money to get the tire replaced.

Art

The warranty is on the tire the tire was pro rated and provided to you. You then deal with the merchant to have it mounted and balanced. The tire manufacturer will not pay the merchant for the labor they will only replace the tire in his stock. It is a fairly common occurrence in business now a days. When I buy parts from the warehouse they have a clause you sign that they are not liable for labor, lost wages, damages and other incidentals if the part is defective. You flood a house with a cracked 5 cent ferrule and they send you a new ferrule. It is up to me to decide if the installation of the new part after the warranty is free or not. Dealerships will in some cases extend the good will to do this for free since you bought a car from them so this small expenditure of labor is covered in the past profit and future good will of the customer. The tire shop does not make enough profit in future sales to you to recover the lost time and expenditure of money to get the tire replaced.

Art

You would think Good Year would offer up a friendly comp to the dealer of the tires, to keep them selling their brand wouldnt you think Art ?

If I were a store owner and selling a brand name product, I would say look, if you would like for me to keep selling your product, then lets pony up here for the customer.

I will make a call to the dealership I bought the truck from. I have a couple of weeks to decide weather I will do the exchange.

I still feel Chrylers is the one to pony up here.

Edited by Brian B

That is miserable. I've driven on all sorts of truck tires, Uniroyal, BFG, GoddforaYear, Firestones, Generals, Michelin and probably a few others. The first five in the list will never make it on a truck of mine. I know the Michelins cost a bunch more but that's sometimes the price to pay. Dealers probably put on the cheapest they can get contracts for while the vehicle is new and hope the customers doesn't come back.

You would think Good Year would offer up a friendly comp to the dealer of the tires, to keep them selling their brand wouldnt you think Art ?

If I were a store owner and selling a brand name product, I would say look, if you would like for me to keep selling your product, then lets pony up here for the customer.

I will make a call to the dealership I bought the truck from. I have a couple of weeks to decide weather I will do the exchange.

I still feel Chrylers is the one to pony up here.

I hear you but it would be an expensive courtesy that would drive the price of the product up. It isn't until the end consumer that makes the decision of how much he can afford to give away to the customer. The dealer is actually driven to carry the product by people asking for the product the manufacturer is doing the dealer a favor by allowing them to sell it. As you get to specialty products made for nitch markets you can get better service because they do not have a disposable customer base that the big names have.

Art

Sorry Brian not with Chrysler anymore so I can not help you...

There is constant pressure on manufactures to be competitive and of course this puts pressure on suppliers so no one should really be surprised that OEM`s are perhaps cutting corners to try and stay competitive....my OEM Goodyears lasted 7 years but I run snows 5 months a year!

That's interesting Chrysler not backing the tires...

That's like saying if the oil pump isn't made by Chrysler then take it up with the company that does make it when your engine blows...

Chrysler should have pull with Goodyear considering they put them on their vehicles...

And paying for the labour is Bull in my opinion... Those tires weren't safe for you to continue driving on...

That's interesting Chrysler not backing the tires...

That's like saying if the oil pump isn't made by Chrysler then take it up with the company that does make it when your engine blows...

Chrysler should have pull with Goodyear considering they put them on their vehicles...

And paying for the labour is Bull in my opinion... Those tires weren't safe for you to continue driving on...

I agree with your point. Lots of parts on the truck are made by another company. But it seems that tire warrantees have worked this way with most, if not all, manufacturers for a very long time.

When I had issues with the tires on my brand new 1988 F150, Ford sent me to Goodyear who were not very helpful.

Sorry about your situation Brian, and NO you are not asking too much but tire warranties are really nothing but a piece of paper. The odd time you will win like Big Cliff did but that might have been through a road hazard extended warranty or insurance that customers pay for extra for and costs the manufacturers nothing.

Vehicle manufacturers put the warranty of anything they can onto suppliers, batteries and tires are good examples. It wouldn't be surprising to find out that the "cost" of getting the tire business for those Ram pickups Good Year had to assume responsibility for warranting the tire.

The majority of the time even with replacement tires bought new that have an issue you wind up being forced to take another set of the same crappy tire that failed in the first place. That is bad enough but the "pro rated" part is where they get you. The pro rating saving only comes on a new tire's MSRP, which is often way above what those same tires could be bought for anywhere not to mention what they would go for on sale... I have seen cases where a warrantied tire costs significantly, MORE that a replacement on sale somewhere else...

Expect it too get worse too as the CAFE ratings more strict manufacturers will saving every ounce of weight in a vehicle they can and tires won't be immune to being made lighter and of course cheaper.

it sright there when your signing the papers for the new vehicle in question, usually your handed the tire warranty with the owners manual ect, that the vehicle manufacter is not responsible for the tire warranty and to deal directly with the tire company that makes that brand,

Tire warrantys are a pia though, usually goodyear is the easiet to deal with, bridgestone the worst.

when i was a goodyear retailer they wouldn t even question a tire warranty with less than 2/32 of wear or less than 2 years old but only warranty 2 at a time for that.

as for the cracking unless a ball point pen fits in it dont worry to much about it, cosmetic, and michelins are usually the worst for surface cracking.

which tires u rollin on B the 20inch wrangler hp? mine have had minor groove cracking the last 60000km

Brian, post this in Facebook, tag Goodyear in it. Tell your story. I bet you get a reply from corporate.

Im not on FB G. I hope to get a better word from the dealer in Mississuga where I bought the truck monday, Manager was not in today.

as for the cracking unless a ball point pen fits in it dont worry to much about it, cosmetic,

which tires u rollin on B the 20inch wrangler hp? mine have had minor groove cracking the last 60000km

tires%20002_zpsexd1li6k.jpg

tires%20001_zps6vl1g8h5.jpg

tires%20004_zpse9fy2qk0.jpg