New and improved gun registry? NO!

Gerritt

An FAC, or PAL as it became, was your registration to allow you to buy or have a gun.

It cost you money and you have to fill in lots of forms to get one.

There is a record of you getting it.

I ask you, why would anybody go through all that to NOT get a gun

Stands to reason anybody with a PAL HAS a gun.

What good would it do the police to know the serial number before they come to arrest you

The criminal still won't have a PAL

Its only the so called Liberal govt that has to know every thing about you and run your life

Fear a government that fears your guns

FEAR a government that doesn't fear you.

Right on Big Cliff.

Canada to USA is apples to oranges. But let's look at the other day when a murderer was on the loose near Ottawa. People where told to stay in there house. Maybe a good time to dust off what you have to protect your family.

I have relatives that live in Boston, Mass and during the time when the two Russian terrorist were running a muck in the area most people locked their doors and fear the night and day. Not my relative because they were Lock and Loaded to protect their families as they should.

This is why we should never surrender our right to guns. Protecting the family and ranch should always be a right and never just a privilege to only some higher up citizens.

FL is one state that allows carry as well as Texas, Alaska and others.

There are a lot of violent acts all across the US. Alaska has more murders than Ontario does in a year with less than 700,000 people.

Having said that, the most violent place in the US is Chicago and they don't allow carry (open or concealed).

To me it seems that the problem exists with the US' way of dealing with background checks. The reason I believe you see much less gun violence in Canada is because of our laws regarding training and the PAL.

I would think if the US would introduce mandatory training and an acquisition type license there would be far fewer issues.

As it is you go into a gun shop and fill out the paperwork and a week later you come and pick up your gun.

Minor BG check and no firearms training needed.

The US has all those laws and training as you mentioned but they are not advertised by the Liberal government administration for political reasons.

Our government already DICTATES so much of our lives and then turn around and tell us that this is a democracy. I believe that what we have is just a dictatorship with many heads. Vote for whoever you want, they give themselves lavish pensions, raises, fill their friends pockets, lie, steal from us and spend our money to make themselves look good.

Amen Big Cliff, I could not have said it better myself.

A choice of three snakes, who will do what they want with no repercussion is not a democracy. Total bull pooh.

My front door is LOCKED not to protect me or my family but to protect those who try to enter it without permission.

My door is never locked, my keys are always in my vehicle, and most of my stuff is not locked. I've never been robbed, mugged, or other wise. Never even been in a scary situation where the thought of using a gun crossed my mind.

Sometimes people get what they deserve, or put themselves in stupid situations that they shouldn't have.

I don't get why you are all so paranoid.

I have guns, and have been raised in a family of hunter/gatherers/ commercial fishermen. NEVER, EVER in my life have I been worried about someone breaking down my door to harm or rob me or my family, and its never ever happened. We have a large family spread across the whole country in every province but quebec.

Please explain why you feel so threatened??

S.

People are products of their environment/circumstances. If you've never been a victim of crime and feel comfortable leaving your home unlocked, or keys in the ignition - that's awesome and you are definitely in the minority. But is it so hard to comprehend that other people aren't always so lucky? I've seen plenty of threads on this board of people being ripped off. Can't blame people for being cautious, once burned twice shy.

People are products of their environment/circumstances. If you've never been a victim of crime and feel comfortable leaving your home unlocked, or keys in the ignition - that's awesome and you are definitely in the minority. But is it so hard to comprehend that other people aren't always so lucky? I've seen plenty of threads on this board of people being ripped off. Can't blame people for being cautious, once burned twice shy.

People also make their own luck.

I have never lived in the city, so I guess I'm biased that way, but a lot of my family does, and has forever.

I guess what I'm saying is that people usually cause their own problems..... a lot of the time.....I understand bad things happen to good people, but there is no need to be paranoid about it. Stuff happens, life goes on...but don't change your life to avoid something that will probably never ever happen.

S.

S.

I guess what I'm saying is that people usually cause their own problems..... a lot of the time.

S.

Sorry Sinker, I'm not trying to pick on ya....but to me that comment contradicts what you said earlier about leaving things unlocked and keys in the ignition, no? Sounds like you live in a great community with a low crime rate, and your routines have worked out so far, and all the power to you. That probably wouldn't work out so well for most people living in urban centres though, different situation altogether.

Better yet, arm all citizens so the criminals don't have their way with us.

Relevant:

Why the Gun is Civilization

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, thats it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that wed be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the muggers potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiatit has no validity when most of a muggers potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and thats the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then theres the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones dont constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon thats as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldnt work as well as a force equalizer if it wasnt both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I dont do so because I am looking for a fight, but because Im looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I dont carry it because Im afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesnt limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equationand thats why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

I believe my right to self defense is not granted by the government, rather it is absolute and inalienable. I do not and will not accept the government trying to remove this right. In the end, that may mean I have to be tried by twelve, but at least I won't be being carried by six.

That's my $0.02

Edited by Dutch01

People also make their own luck.

I have never lived in the city, so I guess I'm biased that way, but a lot of my family does, and has forever.

I have had plenty of stuff ripped off from Oakville and cottage country. Two separate incidents, cops shot guys a stones throw from my house. A buddy here in Oakville had to fight for his life against a home intruder. Oakville is considered a wealthy community too.

I do not loose sleep out of fear or paranoia, but crap happens, it does not hurt to have a baseball bat beside the bed and take some precautions.

It sounds like some people really should move to the US where the gun laws are a lot more relaxed (In some states). If living here is that bad, then pack your stuff and move.

I'm not hearing anyone say it's so bad here. I don't know why I should have to leave my country in order to have the right to defend myself, maybe you could shed some light on that thought, perhaps I misunderstood your point....

I'm not hearing anyone say it's so bad here. I don't know why I should have to leave my country in order to have the right to defend myself, maybe you could shed some light on that thought, perhaps I misunderstood your point....

Who's stopping you from defending yourself? Or do you think you need a firearm to do that?

I have been ripped off a few times in my life, car broken into when we lived in Milton, tackle box disapeared from my garage and also an angle grinder. Sold a family member a car that I never did get paid for, I watched that car drive around town for 4 years after the transfer.

The only thing that bothered me about any of it was that some of the items were things that friends had given me, and that hurt! Thing was, after the tackle box disapeared so many of my friends came to my rescue that I ended up having to buy a bigger tackle box. That box now houses many favorite memories again, some I never use, I just like looking at them and remembering where they came from, some have become my new favorite goto items. True the old items are still gone but I am getting old and there is only so much room in my head for memories :).

I guess if I really wanted to think about it I could come up with some other stuff but it really doesn't seem important enough to let it get to me. If I have it and you want it, all you have to do is ask (within reason LOL wife and kids not available). Is money important? Sure but it isn't everything and no amount of money is worth risking your or a loved ones life over.

For those that think a knife, baseball bat, golf club, or even a gun is a good defence, I just hope you never run into some drug crazed idiot that brought a gun to your fight because while you are thinking of what to do, the second they see any kind of resistance they will do their best to kill you!

Short of harming your family or taking your life, if you have it and they want it, give it to them! Then call the cops and/or get even!

It sounds like some people really should move to the US where the gun laws are a lot more relaxed (In some states). If living here is that bad, then pack your stuff and move.

People born here, or who have taken the time to become citizens have a right to a different point of view without being told to move to another country. I don't subscribe to the "everyone should carry a gun" movement, but they have a right to their opinion and it's not up to you or me to tell them to get out.

Edited by porkpie

People born here, or who have taken the time to become citizens have a right to a different point of view without being told to move to another country. I don't subscribe to the "everyone should carry a gun" movement, but they have a right to their opinion and it's not up to you or me to tell them to get out.

Yip.

I want guns, others dont.

No big deal. I respect all points of view

Thanks porkpie, you managed to make my point a little more eloquently than I did....

I don't have time to read all seven pages YET, but Elizabeth May is anti-gun.  This from CSSA:

COMMENTARY – GUNS AND GREENS Many gun owners wonder about “the big three” and ask if there is a place for gun owners in the Green Party. That’s a two-step question best answered by both Green Party policy and party leader Elizabeth May. First, the new Green Party policy says this. Green Party MPs will: 1. Put strict measures in place for those who attempt to cross the Canada/U.S. border with illegal firearms;2. Fulfill Canada’s obligation under international agreements (United Nations Firearms Protocol and the Organization of American States Firearms Convention) to mark all imported firearms, as recommended by the Canadian Association of Police Boards and the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police;3. Ensure that gun crime charges are not dropped to facilitate convictions on lesser charges;4. Review the registry for restricted firearms in consultation with First Nations, and with gun sports and hunter organizations. We will ensure law-abiding citizens do not have their firearms unreasonably confiscated; and5. Work with target shooting organizations to establish safe and protected locations where target shooting can be practiced. First off, we already have strict measures in place at our borders. What exactly does she propose we do? Second, all firearms imported into Canada already have a unique identifier. It’s called a serial number. This renders the United Nations’ marking scheme redundant. While the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police might like that needless bureaucratic waste, its impact on the firearms community is catastrophic. The (1997) OAS convention (INTER-AMERICAN CONVENTION AGAINST THE ILLICIT MANUFACTURING OF AND TRAFFICKING IN FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, EXPLOSIVES, AND OTHER RELATED MATERIALS) was never ratified by the Canadian government, yet virtually all of the provisions contained in it already have been implemented by the bureaucracy. Third, we must be careful about what we call “gun crime charges.” We are all for violent criminals being prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but we do not want to see ordinary Canadians sent to prison because their firearms license expired. That is absurd and does nothing to stop violence in our society. Fourth, we’re thoroughly unsure of what reviewing the restricted firearms registry will accomplish, unless the goal is like Justin Trudeau: to “review” responsible firearm ownership out of existence. It’s impossible to know since the policy statement makes little sense. Fifth, we already have “safe and protected locations where target shooting can be practiced.” They are called shooting ranges, and they dot the landscape from sea to shining sea. Is it Elizabeth May’s intention to stop people from shooting on Crown land? And if she’s willing to go that far, does she want to ban hunting too? Most importantly, however, are Elizabeth May’s own words. “But the more that we restrict access to handguns, long guns, the better.” The Torontoist, Sept. 28, 2006 While Green Party policy may be a little wishy-washy on the subject, it seems Elizabeth May is not. Like both Thomas Mulcair and Justin Trudeau, Green Party leader Elizabeth May would strip us of our firearms the first chance she gets.