New and improved gun registry? NO!

Gerritt

OK now I have read through all seven pages and see a wee bit of topic drift.............. :whistling: And some truly lunatic fringe stuff like billyboblunkerkiller that thinks more legislation will stop criminals from committing gun crimes.

But back to the topic at hand.....

I think most of us suffer from electile dysfunction, we are unable to get aroused about ANY party that is after our votes this time.

But as I said if we get back to the subject, and consider which (mainstream) party in this election does NOT want to restrict (or greatly restrict, or ban) ownership of firearms that are currently legal for licenced Canadians to possess, there is only one party. It happens to be the Conservatives, who have a pile of excess baggage, WITHOUT QUESTION.

I do suspect that the Libertarian Party is pro-gun ownership, given their thesis that individuals should be responsible for their actions, and less government is good government. I do not know if this is factual, but they have zero chance of forming a government or an opposition, and so I discount them as basically irrelevant to the outcome of the election.

If you are a one-main-issue voter, and your issue is the continuing personal ownership of firearms, drawing a penis on your ballot, on your head, whatever, is not helpful to your issue. So if firearms ownership is IMPORTANT to you, then you have one choice. Obviously, if this issue is NOT important to you, you have multiple choices, all of which may fail to arouse you and so drawing a penis, or not voting, may be your solution to this.

I do not support many of the actions of our existing government, and am truly angry about some. But FOR ME, firearms are an important part of my life and heritage, and I wish to be able to continue to hunt, and shoot targets, and so I am going to hold my nose and vote for the only party that does not wish to rob me of that.

JMOYMV

From many of your comments I can see why Canada has so many laws, rules and regulations - requires so many permits and generally has the government controlling your lives - your willing to give up your freedom so easily -

Let me just say a few things - when the government requires you to register your guns they basically have control over them - all it takes is whoever is in power to declare certain or all guns illegal and you have to give them up because they know who has the guns and what kind - if ever the wrong people take control of the government - such as happened in Nazi Germany, Russia, or any other dictatorships the citizens are helpless - and don't think it can't happen to your country

Years ago I attended a talk given by a holocaust survivor - after finishing his talk he took questions from the audience - one person stood up and said that he couldn't understand why the Jewish people went to their deaths without putting up a fight - the answer was - "with what - they took all our guns" -

You can't always depend on the police to protect you - when things really get tough and law and order break down you will be on your own - you better have a way of taking care of yourself -

Thousands of men and women have fought and died so that you can be free - yet people continue to give up this freedom to their governments not realizing how precious it is -

From many of your comments I can see why Canada has so many laws, rules and regulations - requires so many permits and generally has the government controlling your lives - your willing to give up your freedom so easily -

Let me just say a few things - when the government requires you to register your guns they basically have control over them - all it takes is whoever is in power to declare certain or all guns illegal and you have to give them up because they know who has the guns and what kind - if ever the wrong people take control of the government - such as happened in Nazi Germany, Russia, or any other dictatorships the citizens are helpless - and don't think it can't happen to your country

Years ago I attended a talk given by a holocaust survivor - after finishing his talk he took questions from the audience - one person stood up and said that he couldn't understand why the Jewish people went to their deaths without putting up a fight - the answer was - "with what - they took all our guns" -

You can't always depend on the police to protect you - when things really get tough and law and order break down you will be on your own - you better have a way of taking care of yourself -

Thousands of men and women have fought and died so that you can be free - yet people continue to give up this freedom to their governments not realizing how precious it is -

Holy crap someone actually sees the big picture?

Go look at what i just posted about syria in the thread 'stunning revelations' or whatever its called

JoePa, it always makes me shake my head when I hear an American criticizing the gun laws from other countries. You guys live in one of the most violent countries on earth and hardly a day goes by we don't hear on the news up here about another mass shooting.

You've murdered several of your presidents and shot a few others, you murdered Bobby Kennedy after you killed his brother, you shot George Wallace and murdered Martin Luther King.

You have wackos constantly killing kids in schools, in movie theaters and walking down the street. Just last week they caught someone in Arizona trying to kill people driving down the roads. You had those cowards blow up the building years ago in Oklahoma and killed about 160 people.

Several innocent people were murdered and a whole bunch more badly injured when one of your countrymen set off a bomb at the Boston Marathon.

There was an army major awhile back shot a bunch of soldiers on an army base.

Jeez, you guys even murdered John Lennon

You said yourself earlier you even have a gun with you when you go fishing. If I was that afraid of my fellow Americans I'd give up fishing.

I could go on and on about the insane murder rate you guys have down there but I guess I've made my point.

I've got a bunch of very good friends from the States and I'm not trying to single anyone out, but as I said above, there's nothing worse than listening to people like you criticize the gun laws in Canada.

And just for comparison, Toronto has close to 3 million people yet the murder rate is somewhere around 60 people per year.

Can you name one large city in the States that's even close to only 60 murders a year ??

Maybe worry about your own gun rules before you complain about ours.

Edited by lew

Dear JoePA, I do not need a lecture from a foreigner about how I live my life.

And I do not need sweeping generalizations from a foreigner to the effect that I am 'WILLING TO GIVE UP MY FREEDOM SO EASILY."

You are certainly entitled to your opinions but I take offence at your broad-brush comments. I doubt VERY MUCH that you understand our history of private firearms ownership in this country, nor our political history with which that is intertwined.

I don't make negative comments about Americans on American Internet sites and suggest it is churlish for you to do so here.

Doug

I totally disagree with ya lew and shag.

Joepa has every right to voice his opinion here. Shag im surprised your so sensitive to his comments??? Sup with that?

And lew, what the heck. The US killed all those people? The "crazy" gun laws???

Crazy people do crazy things.

Criminals get guns anyway they can. Nothing will stop them.

Joepa didnt kill anyone that I know of???

Did he also kill canadian soldiers in all "our" silly little industrial wars?

Or was that you?

Proud to fight in proxy wars and kill innocent people elsewhere?

You blame him I guess its fair I blame you as well.

Unreal.

Holy Crap.

Just....

Wow.

Maybe I missed something but where does it say JeoPa is from the states.......and even so, so what. He is only telling you about history that for some reason seems to repeat itself too often.

What some here have said to criticize JoePa have been said to others in history, including the Jews.

This thread was about the CANADIAN election, and what party or parties might support or suppress private firearms ownership here. It has gone sideways more often than it has gone forward, but so be it.

I was asked why the comments from JoePA might have offended me and yes I did conclude from his handle, his tone, and his comments that this person is an American person. I may be wrong but I greatly doubt it. And I most assuredly have American friends, most of whom are ardent NRA supporters, as I WOULD BE if lived in the USA. That's not the point.

I do not like to be lectured and insulted by somebody that has no skin in the game and almost certainly has incomplete knowledge of the issue at hand, which I believe to be the case in JoePa's comments to which I did and do take offence.

In CANADA, we do not see mobs of people brandishing pitchforks and burning crosses, surging down city streets with their bedsheets wrapped on their heads, when they are unhappy about something. In CANADA we generally use peaceful means to make our opposition known, including to actions of governments. So, for example, when the government of Canada enacted Bill C-68, that is the modern firearms act, many unhappy Canadians wrote letters, button-holed their MPs, held peaceful rallies on Parliament Hill and elsewhere, challenged the legailty of the legislation, and eventually elected a government that repealed some of the more egregious aspects of C-68.

One of the main intervenors in the fight against C-68, which we took to the Supreme Court of Canada, was the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH). In my opinion at the time, this organization was most aligned with my own views and so I decided to support the OFAH fight at the SCC level. And at that time, I donated the largest personal donation that had ever up to that point been made to the OFAH, to continue that fight. I am not a rich man but I put my money where my mouth was. And yes for the nitpickers I did get a tax receipt so I recouped 20 or 30 percent of my donation at tax time. I am not aware of any other individual who put a small fortune into the war chest.

So yes I resent being told I give up my freedoms too easily, or whatever poppycock it was that was written. In CANADA we do things our way, and generally that does not involve blood in the streets. We do NOT have a Second Amendment, we do NOT have the right to bear arms as a constitutional guarantee, and we almost always work within the law to achieve our aims. In this election, as I have already stated, there is only one party that does not threaten private ownership of firearms as currently exists in Canadian Law, and that party, like them or hate them, is the Conservatives.

'Nuff said. Flame away. :ninja:

Doug

This thread was about the CANADIAN election, and what party or parties might support or suppress private firearms ownership here. It has gone sideways more often than it has gone forward, but so be it.

I was asked why the comments from JoePA might have offended me and yes I did conclude from his handle, his tone, and his comments that this person is an American person. I may be wrong but I greatly doubt it. And I most assuredly have American friends, most of whom are ardent NRA supporters, as I WOULD BE if lived in the USA. That's not the point.

I do not like to be lectured and insulted by somebody that has no skin in the game and almost certainly has incomplete knowledge of the issue at hand, which I believe to be the case in JoePa's comments to which I did and do take offence.

In CANADA, we do not see mobs of people brandishing pitchforks and burning crosses, surging down city streets with their bedsheets wrapped on their heads, when they are unhappy about something. In CANADA we generally use peaceful means to make our opposition known, including to actions of governments. So, for example, when the government of Canada enacted Bill C-68, that is the modern firearms act, many unhappy Canadians wrote letters, button-holed their MPs, held peaceful rallies on Parliament Hill and elsewhere, challenged the legailty of the legislation, and eventually elected a government that repealed some of the more egregious aspects of C-68.

One of the main intervenors in the fight against C-68, which we took to the Supreme Court of Canada, was the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH). In my opinion at the time, this organization was most aligned with my own views and so I decided to support the OFAH fight at the SCC level. And at that time, I donated the largest personal donation that had ever up to that point been made to the OFAH, to continue that fight. I am not a rich man but I put my money where my mouth was. And yes for the nitpickers I did get a tax receipt so I recouped 20 or 30 percent of my donation at tax time. I am not aware of any other individual who put a small fortune into the war chest.

So yes I resent being told I give up my freedoms too easily, or whatever poppycock it was that was written. In CANADA we do things our way, and generally that does not involve blood in the streets. We do NOT have a Second Amendment, we do NOT have the right to bear arms as a constitutional guarantee, and we almost always work within the law to achieve our aims. In this election, as I have already stated, there is only one party that does not threaten private ownership of firearms as currently exists in Canadian Law, and that party, like them or hate them, is the Conservatives.

'Nuff said. Flame away. :ninja:

Doug

I agree and disagree.

But i will say thats sir is a great post?