'Old Stock' Canadians?

SirCranksalot

I can't wear my ball cap at the legion ..why can you wear your turban ..true north strong and free...what's ole stock to me..the generations that built there businesses here the sons and sons of sons who continue running them ,the loggers ...miners ..the ones who fund and donate to community's

Edited by North East Shark

I can't wear my ball cap at the legion ..why can you wear your turban .

Because a turban is not a cap, it's a religious symbol. Asking them to remove it would be no different than asking catholic veterans to remove a crucifix from around their neck. And those turbans were worn by soldiers in battle, who acquitted themselves admirably In both World Wars, fighting for your freedom.

Edited by Dave Bailey

Since I'm weighing in, I should get my bona fides on display. Born here in '53, to parents who emigrated from England. Ethnic background is English with a dash of Welsh.

Does that make me 'old stock'? Since Mr. Harper was probably using a dog whistle term for 'white European', I suspect he would include me. And thanks, but no thanks. I don't want to be included in his definition of Canadian.

Since I'm weighing in, I should get my bona fides on display. Born here in '53, to parents who emigrated from England. Ethnic background is English with a dash of Welsh.

Does that make me 'old stock'? Since Mr. Harper was probably using a dog whistle term for 'white European', I suspect he would include me. And thanks, but no thanks. I don't want to be included in his definition of Canadian.

Similar ethnic background, and yes "thanks, but no thanks"

I believe Old Stock may refer to those old enough to remember The Canada that was before the majourity started to believe the multicultural , peacemaker etc. Krap that the liberal media and education system hammered into us since the sixties. I was born in 50 , the most influential people in my life were for the most part WW2 vets and believe me their values and influence on my youth were miles apart from the influences on todays youth, even the generation after me is totally different than me, you had these men as fathers, teachers, barbers etc.

Edited by dave524

"Old stock" refers to Canadians. The context of the comment was in reply to Mulcair and Trudeau insisting Canada must do more to help migrants from Syria by bringing them here, setting them up with housing, etc. Harper said he didn't think any new refugees coming in should be entitled to get anything from the government more than what Canadian citizens get.

He shot himself in the foot in how he phrased it, but the basic answer - saying everyone should be treated the same way - is something I support. Why should someone who has been in the country for five minutes be entitled to things I am not, when I have paid taxes here my whole life?

"Old stock" refers to Canadians. The context of the comment was in reply to Mulcair and Trudeau insisting Canada must do more to help migrants from Syria by bringing them here, setting them up with housing, etc. Harper said he didn't think any new refugees coming in should be entitled to get anything from the government more than what Canadian citizens get.

He shot himself in the foot in how he phrased it, but the basic answer - saying everyone should be treated the same way - is something I support. Why should someone who has been in the country for five minutes be entitled to things I am not, when I have paid taxes here my whole life?

....agree !!! 110 %