Tire recommendation please!

Headhunter

Hey folks, I am hoping to get some suggestions/advice regarding new ALL SEASON tires for my Ford Flex. Currently the truck has Hankook tires, that were on it when I purchased the truck about a year ago. They have just about reached the end of their usable life and I am shopping around to replace them within the next month or so. I only do short trips in the winter and buying two sets of tires, all season and snows is just outta the budget right now.

The tire size currently is 255/45R20 101V, which in all honestly is flippin Swahili to me!

The only brand of tire that I will not consider is Michelin. I have had two sets of Michelin tires crack on the sidewalls within a few years of owning them, I won't make that mistake again.

It's my understanding that my tire size does limit what's available to me. Price point so far is in the $270 to $300 range, per tire, installed.

Hoping to get some advice for you good folks and as always, looking to save some dough!

Thanks in advance!

HH

The last couple of sets of tires I bought for my Honda Pilot were Goodyear Silent Armour and they were very good in the snow and ice as well as on dry pavement. However they wore quite quickly and are no longer produced. So this time I bought a set of Hercules Terra Trac's and they have been a really decent tire at a good price point so far. They are more durable than the Goodyear's I had and get almost as good winter traction.

Don't buy all season tires as they become ineffective in cold winter temps.

http://www.herculestire.com/know-your-tires/terra-trac-at-ii/#loaded

Hercules%20Terra%20Trac%20AT.jpg

I ran coopers on the F150 when I had it. Great riding tire, BUT, they are soft. This was the only thing I found that I didnt like. I ran Yoka,s when I had the Avenger. Great tire as well.

Thanks for posting Joe, as I will be buying a set soon as well. I would go winter over seasonals although you really dont get winter down there.LOL

If you can find a good tire shop with an installer you trust ask them what they think. I have used the same installer for over 30 yrs and he has never steered me wrong. Lots of times I went in with recommendations from friends or even the internet and he was able to quickly show me the error of my thinking.

A good installer will see more tires come and go in a few months than most people will in 10 life times. They should also be up on what tire manufacturers are trying to live off a good reputation with a changed formula that isn't as good as it used to be.

Conversely they should also know, which problem tires have a new formula and are better than they used to be...

Tires are a wear item and many factors go into what causes it to happen quickly and what doesn't. So tire manufacturers are always playing with the recipe so what was a great tire last year might not be now...

michelin LTX MS put 150,000km on them on my ranger truck and passed safety no problem...awesome tire,and when i need tires on my silverado thats whats going on it too

I'm putting LTX MS2 on my F150 next year and your's is the 1st bad thing I've ever heard about Michelin's Joe, infact I had them on a previous truck and found them to be fantastic.

As for using All-Season tires for the winter, I'd never do that and ALWAYS use dedicated winter tires and rims...but that's just me.

What Lew said....I drive a Jeep and still put snows on and she will go anywhere!!!

Last two sets have been Cooper and I find they offer a good balance of value and performance!

Gord

What I love about this truck when it comes to rubber? They are 17,s. They are common and cheap every where. :D

Lew, I loved the Michelins when I first put them on, but after 3-4 years, the side walls started to develop spider cracks and then they just started to peel off. Those were the Michelin "SUV" tires and they cost a small fortune. I got money taken off the next set, based on the tire wear and the 2nd set did the same thing. No tire polish/shine, nothing but soap and water... they cracked.

The dealer suggested that my driving habits were the cause, running the side walls along the curb. I might have believed that, had the cracking only taken place on one side, but all four tires were cracking and splitting. I shall not fall for their products again! (Approx $2k in rubber spent!!!)

Thanks for the suggestions folks, and if I could ask, keep 'em coming.

HH

Lew, I loved the Michelins when I first put them on, but after 3-4 years, the side walls started to develop spider cracks and then they just started to peel off.

Obviously not meaning to be insulting Joe, but are you sure you were running those tires at the proper air pressure ??

Just seems so odd that some of the best tires on the market would fail like that within just a few years of normal wear.

Just an FYI

Most ppl are unaware but tires have an expiry date.

I forget how to read it but you have to decifer a code on the tires.

Some stores will have 'new' tires on the shelf that are 10yrs old and expired.

You will have to google for more info.

Maybe this was the case with your Michelins cracking??

Maybe, but two set of tires, bought and installed three to fours years apart, I'm not buying it.

Lew, never insulting!!!!! The rims those Michelins were on were a bear to keep properly pressurized, all aluminum. It was a regular occurrence to see me checking and re-filling the tires, especially during cold weather months.

I just can't get that bad taste outta my mouth re Michelins. I put roughly 8-10k per year on those tires, so it wasn't like I was putting lots of KM's on them.

HH

Obviously not meaning to be insulting Joe, but are you sure you were running those tires at the proper air pressure ??

Just seems so odd that some of the best tires on the market would fail like that within just a few years of normal wear.

I would agree because I have used XLT's and loved them too. However that doesn't mean every Michelin tire is as good. They like all the manufacturers play with the formulas until they strike a profitable balance between wear and customer satisfaction.... So bad sets are too be expected.

Edited by Canuck2fan

i wasn`t impressed with the LTX M+S Michelin`s either. Ok on the highway, quiet and good treadlife, but that`s about it. Not so good in the snow, rain, mud.

Sorry Joe I don`t have a recommendation either. Maybe go on tirerack.com, enter your tire size and check out the reviews from someone with a similar vehicle and climate.

I run an all-terrain tire in the summer (Firestone Destination AT) and a snow tire in the winter on my jeep. Passenger car gets el cheapo All Seasons and el cheapo snows -- I think they are both Sailun (sp).

Not sure an all-terrain tire would be right on your vehicle and it will be a lot noisier than your typical all-season.

Edited by Raf

The only thing I don't like about the MS2s is the fact I have 20" wheels on my truck and that size tire doesn't come with the white lettering that I prefer.....oh well.

I've got Perelli Scorpions on my truck now that came OEM when I bought it in '13 and while they ride nice and so far are wearing well their not the best tire on a wet road. I've got 30,000 miles on them now and when I take the winter tires off next spring the new Michelin tires will be going on.

I wanted to colour over mine with yellow (nascar thing ) was told it was against the law here.

Never heard that one before Brian, any reason given as to why it's illegal to have yellow letters ??

Edited by lew