2015/2016 Hockey Thread

LostAnotherOne

Well now!!!

I may not have been a big fan of Kessel when he played for the Leafs but I will say the man is a heck of a guy!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/phil-kessel-stanley-cup-1.3684253

Phil Kessel brings Stanley Cup to Toronto SickKids Hospital
Former captain Phaneuf joins Kessel for Cup celebration

By Matthew Cullen, CBC Sports Posted: Jul 18, 2016 4:43 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 18, 2016 4:43 PM ET

kessel-phil-06122016.jpg

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Phil Kessel celebrates after winning the Stanley Cup in June. On Monday, Kessel returned to Toronto with Lord Stanley's mug and made a stop at the Hospital for Sick Children. (Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

One year ago, the thought of Phil Kessel with the Stanley Cup in Toronto was pretty much unimaginable.

How times can change.

On Monday, the oft-criticized former Maple Leafs' star made good on his promise to bring the Cup to the city he called home for five years.

However, instead of a flashy news conference or a public event, Kessel made a quiet visit to a place he knew would appreciate it – Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children.

The 28-year-old spent the day Monday at SickKids sharing the Cup with children and their families.

Cnq5bqsXYAUWra_.jpg

Cnq5bptWgAAg97n.jpg

SickKids was buzzing with #StanleyCup fever today! Thx for visiting our patients & families @PKessel81 #NHL

When Kessel first announced in late June that he would be returning north of the border with the Cup, many thought the former Leaf was just taunting the Toronto fan base that hasn't celebrated its own championship since 1967.

@PKessel81 taking the cup back to Toronto is pretty much a big middle finger to the entire city

phil kessel bringing the stanley cup to toronto is peak pettiness i love it.

However, the Madison, Wis., native now seems to have quashed any bad feelings about the move with the Toronto faithful.

Phil Kessel brought the cup to Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto... Class act

I've not been a @PKessel81 fan these last few yrs, but I tip my hat to him bringing #StanleyCup to @sickkids. Classy.

Phil Kessel takes the Cup back to Toronto and lets kids who are sick in the hospital have a great day with it. What a human.

Kessel even had some extra company coming down for the big visit – former Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf and actress wife Elisha Cuthbert.

Kessel amassed 394 points in 446 career regular-season games during his five-year tenure with Toronto before being traded to Pittsburgh last summer. After an unspectacular regular season, Kessel had 22 points in 24 playoff games as the Penguins won their fourth Stanley Cup in franchise history.

Whats with the wrapped hand? And he dont look like he,s fat.

Good on him,

He had hand surgery from a preseason game. he was playing the entire year and into the post season with a messed up hand

Awesome..Phill is a classy guy to do what he did today..I dont consider it an insult to Toronto..Anyone that's insulted by this should check their feelings some place else..Cool stuff

Things are getting interesting in Leaf Land. :)

http://www.tsn.ca/report-leafs-close-to-signing-g-enroth-1.532102

Report: Leafs close to signing G Enroth

jhonas-enroth.jpg

Jhonas Enroth, Derek Leung/Getty Images

The Toronto Maple Leafs' search for a backup goaltender to the newly acquiredFrederik Andersen could be at its end.

Swedish outlet Expressen's Johan Svensson reports the team is nearing a deal withJhonas Enroth. The 28-year-old Swede spent last season with the Los Angeles Kings, backing up Jonathan Quick. He appeared in 16 games, going 7-5-1 with a goals against average of 2.17 and a .922 save percentage.

Enroth was originally taken with the 46th-overall pick in the 2006 National Hockey League Entry Draft by the Buffalo Sabres. After nearly five seasons with the Sabres, Enroth was shipped to the Dallas Stars at the 2015 trade deadline.

In 147 career NHL games, the Stockholm native is 50-66-15 with a 2.80 GAA, .911 save percentage and seven shutouts. Enroth has represented Sweden internationally on a number of occasions, including as part of the gold medal-winning team at the 2013 IIHF World Championship and the team that captured silver at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.

The Leafs also have goaltenders Garret Sparks and Antoine Bibeau under contract.