PSA: Hoovers Marina Nanticoke

HTHM

I launched at this establishment today, and upon my return, I decided to stop in for a beer. Much to my surprise it cost me a total of $5.75 for a bottle of Blue. I did not ask the price before ordering. That cost combined with a $20 launch fee gave me pause, I do not think I will be returning to spending any of my money there in the future.

I can't cut and paste my response from the "other" site but you may be able to Albert.

I have to add to that you have a choice to not give them your business like us many locals that have been going there for more than 30 years have chosen not to go again. Rant all you want, that's what we can all do here once and awhile, right?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Same thing in Turkey Point... With no other option to launch they have you right where they want you.. what other ramps are there nearby? Port Dover is expensive too but smaller boats can launch in the creek for free...

I've been looking at launches in Cook's bay on Lake Simcoe and the $20 will only get you the launch. No idea what the blue would run ya..

I've been fishing the long point area about once a week since the bass opener and every launch on the other side of the causeway is at least $15. Add in the price of your beer and it seems that they are all jumping on the bandwagon.

Otherwise, if there's a $10 launch that will give me access to long point bay, please let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Where is that in Dover? And how small, or big of a boat can get in the creek?

It's up the river where Black Creek crosses under Concession 2. You can likely launch a 16' there depending on the creek level but the water does get low at times so hopefully you don't mess up your boat too badly and you are able to get it back out when you return. From there it is about a 45 minute run out to the lake because you have to go less than 4 mph all the way down the river past all the yachts. There is no security there and the parking is isolated from view from the road so hopefully your car, trailer and belongings are all still there when you get back from your muddy river tour. Also, it's about 4 miles further out the elbow from Dover than it is from the $20 ramp. That's your free option, good luck.

Edited by G.mech

You have to pay to play these days. I'm as cheap as the next guy, but life is short and I don't nickle and dime my hobbies. I also don't smoke, and I wouldn't spend even $4 on a beer at a bar. Mind you I might drink one 40 ounce bottle of rum in an entire year. $20 is getting to be pretty standard these days, not that I'm happy about it, but it is what it is. I'm darn sure not running 30+ minutes down a river just above idle to save myself $20 and maybe return to a break in at my truck as he guy above mentioned. It's called penny wise and pound foolish!

Edited by porkpie

Don't mess with launching your new boat anywhere but a proper launch. We went to Upper NY State to fish and there was not a proper launch on the whole lake. In was no problem it took 2 hours with 4 guys taking it out. Your boat is too big.

This is part of the cost, pay to launch or rent a slip like I do. It really hurts when I have a slip and pull it out and pay to launchplus I live on the waterfront and can't put in a dock because of the big waves..

To make you feel better, I was charged $40 two weeks ago by Gloucester Pool Resort Marina for launching a small boat and parking. I was there around 8:00am and the owner was not there. I launched and parked anyway without knowing how much it would cost. Launching fee was not posted anywhere. When I came back a few hours later and went to pay, the owner told me $40 ($10 in $10 out, $10 for my vehicle and $10 for the trailer parking). Saw another boat owner who told me the same happened to him. We just shook our heads and left... Now I am wondering whether the owner was hiding in the morning intentionally...

I was launching at King's bay Marina on Georgian Bay. 7 bux to launch, 7 to haul it out. Parking was 7 bux - then she inquiries if I have a trailer? Oh! That's another 7 bux. Total $28.00. That was 10 years ago! I don't know what they charge nowadays - cuz I never went back! Robbers! Also, when I launched there wasn't even a rickedy old dock to tie the boat up while I parked my truck & trailer!! Beat that one!!

If you start fretting over 20 bucks here and 10 bucks there you will never go out. I figured that a vehicle that one puts 20K on in a year costs 20 to 40 bucks every time you start it in the morning or let it sit in the driveway. Albert I bet you are the type of person that calculates gas mileage based on RPM at different speeds. Don't calculate what a pound of Walleye actually costs when you do all the number crunching. This a very expensive sport. I know some guys that spend $20.00 on a Live Target and won't put in on the line because they might lose it for C's sakes. The old saying was never buy a Caddy if you have to ask how many miles to the gallon it gets.

Enjoy the boat and go fishing man. (the aforementioned statements to be taken with a grain of salt).

If you start fretting over 20 bucks here and 10 bucks there you will never go out. I figured that a vehicle that one puts 20K on in a year costs 20 to 40 bucks every time you start it in the morning or let it sit in the driveway. Albert I bet you are the type of person that calculates gas mileage based on RPM at different speeds. Don't calculate what a pound of Walleye actually costs when you do all the number crunching. This a very expensive sport. I know some guys that spend $20.00 on a Live Target and won't put in on the line because they might lose it for C's sakes. The old saying was never buy a Caddy if you have to ask how many miles to the gallon it gets.

Enjoy the boat and go fishing man. (the aforementioned statements to be taken with a grain of salt).

egg sack lee.

Average out of pocket cost per trip before I figure extras ( coffee, sandwiches etc) - $100.00 - fishing Erie add a few more ' cause you gotta run a lot further. Its source of relaxation and enjoyment - there is no price you can assign to that. How many Tim's coffees does it take to burn $6.00? Enjoy it while you can, and don't forget to tip the waitress.

$8 for a pint of beer ???... Back in the days when I used to imbibe a 24 cost about $8 or $10... At today's rate I don't think I could afford to be a drunk no more(in more ways than one)...Lol

Edited by Beans