Nothing nice to say?

sneak_e_pete

I have been on this board for many years, so I feel comfortable speaking my mind.

First let me say that this forum is great, but I see a pattern with a majority of posts that kinda bugs me.

People ask an honest question, and they often get sarcastic or useless responses. If you dont have a real value added post, than why post?

Examples: I am having trouble with my motor....response...buy a new one.

Even Lew's recent post on geese went 3 pages but the legitimate responses were a page at most.

We are all on here for the same reason, and I feel that some of the attitudes and responses make people think twice about posting. On here for 10 years or 1 day....any constructive post should be respected.

My 2 cents.

Thanks...and let the smartass responses fly

I come here to learn. contribute and above all have some fun. If it wasn't fun it would be called consulting Pete. Then I would put a few bucks in the jeans. If it wasn't fun sometimes I wouldn't be here. You need to lighten up a bit and have some fun.

Your opinion is respected by me regardless if I agree or not Pete.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I get what your saying Pete. I often think the same thing. But it never stops me from posting questions.

Some things just get blown way out of proportion some times, and you just have to shake your head and switch to the next post...

This site might be a little quirky some times but that will always be the case when you gather a group of people together.

I think the mods do a good job shutting down the crap when it arises.

I've learned a lot on this site and have had tons of questions/problems resolved.

Fishing techniques

Boat/motor issues

ATV advice

Lawn mower repair -thanks again Cliff

Wheel barrow tire failure

Cottage problems

Firewood questions

Now if I can just get some solid marital advice I'd be good. ?

Yet another useless thread!!-----------------ooops, sorry about that. I guess I was supposed to be constructive! :lol:

I agree with you Pete up to a point, but only up to a point. I also agree with other posters that it's humor that keeps the place alive and sometimes the humor gets lost. The saying is that 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit' and I guess some of us reach a bit too far trying to be funny at times. Then, of course, there are the downright nasty and obviously unhelpful posts---no excuse for those.

It's sometimes really easy to take written comments the wrong way. With no tone or facial expressions, it's dead easy to come across as being rude. Sometimes you have to give people the benefit of doubt. Or, pull out the big guns and verbally crucify them!! Lol Monday and Tuesday you can say what you want because we got out fishing and there's the afterglow effect. Wednesday and Thursday you better be careful...the "I need to fish or kill someone" has kicked in. Friday is 50/50 between those who are going to fish and those volentold to the honey do list. :)

Yes, 'voluntold' to get the house and yard cleaned up for my dads visit in 2 weeks. need the brownie points for the 2 days of fishing lake o that are coming!

but back on topic, its no different here, than it is in the work place or with a group of friends when you ask a question and you get smart@ss sarcastic comment back. if you can't take the humour in it, why are you here? All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Yes, 'voluntold' to get the house and yard cleaned up for my dads visit in 2 weeks. need the brownie points for the 2 days of fishing lake o that are coming!

but back on topic, its no different here, than it is in the work place or with a group of friends when you ask a question and you get smart@ss sarcastic comment back. if you can't take the humour in it, why are you here? All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

To get valuable information like most. Sarcasm is one thing...but many posts go beyond that. Are you saying that if I dont want sarcasm then why be here?

I may not be at the status of Lew, Roy, etc, but I have been here long enough to voice a frustration and long enough to point out that some members may refrain from posting due to the sarcasm.

There is a fine line between being helpful / funny and being an my father

To get valuable information like most. Sarcasm is one thing...but many posts go beyond that. Are you saying that if I dont want sarcasm then why be here?

I may not be at the status of Lew, Roy, etc, but I have been here long enough to voice a frustration and long enough to point out that some members may refrain from posting due to the sarcasm.

There is a fine line between being helpful / funny and being an my father

Well for instance when you ask a question like you did, that can possibly have a sacarstic or semi sarcastic response, ie: bring less rods, why get your panties in a bunch about it, shrug it off as sarcasm and let it go

Enough said. Like many I voiced a frustration. Some agree..some dont...np...just voiced an opinion. Lets let it go. Whole point was to say that if you dont have any value to add to a post..(humour like flame throwers aside) than why bother.

Not expecting everyone to agree with me...but some of the long time members will agree that it can be hard to establish yourself on this site and some comments may be a turn off for newcomers as they dont understand the dynamics.

This site might be a little quirky some times but that will always be the case when you gather a group of people together.

I think the mods do a good job shutting down the crap when it arises.

I've learned a lot on this site and have had tons of questions/problems resolved.

Fishing techniques

Boat/motor issues

ATV advice

Lawn mower repair -thanks again Cliff

Wheel barrow tire failure

Cottage problems

Firewood questions

Now if I can just get some solid marital advice I'd be good.

It was a pleasure to be able to help you and it was REALLY nice of you to share a couple of your "special" lures with me! As you can see they haven't gone un used LOL and in fact one of them has become a Go To lure for me already landing several fish right off the dock!

That is what this site is all about, people helping people!

I'm coming upon almost a year on this site and yes I have come across a few scum, but majority of the guys on here are great when it comes to getting advice. Usually the info I get is great. Most of the guys on here are older then I am so they have had time to make the mistakes that I try to prevent. Just the one thing I don't understand is why some people act tough on here. I wouldn't say anything on this site that I wouldn't say to anyone's face. To all the guys who have given me advice in the past thank you.