tent camping vs trailer

huzzsaba

So it seems like it rains at least one of days during our camping trip. My weekend schedule is not very flexible and since the kids are in school on weekdays, I usually have to stick to the plans rain or shine.

My last trip, we had to pack up in the rain since the forecast was rain all day. I told my wife that I bet all the rv and trailer guys are laughing at all the tent guys right now lol.

So I though about possibly investing in a small camper. A used popup camper would probably fit the bill and weight requirements. I already have a class 3 hitch installed on my SUV which is a 2004 volvo xc90 with a 2.5 litre 208 hp 5 cylinder turbocharged engine with AWD.

I guess the question is, is it worth it spend 2-3 grand for a used popup camper. What is maintenance like? what is the likeliness of long term wear on my car? My SUV tow capacity is rated at 3500lbs I believe. Will I need to upgrade anything on my SUV? We are a family of 4 so not much human weight in the car aside from luggage and other essentials.

I forgot to mention that we usually go camping 5-6 per year and it would be nice to use for a cross country or east coast trip instead of booking costly hotels.

Edited by huzzsaba

I have a pop up camper and you need to be aware that when you close it up it needs to be dry or you must open it when you get home for it to dry properly. If not it will mildew just like your tent if you put it away wet.

It is more comfortable and has lots of room compared to my tent. Another issue you run into is during colder weather the ceilings over the beds will get very wet from condensation from your breath. I sleep with the windows open part way to help combat this issue.

I pull with a Honda Pilot that has a 5,000# tow rating when pulling a boat but 3,500# rating when pulling a camper.

Engine is a 3.5L 255HP V6.

It does fine but does eat a bunch of gas pulling it. I also ended up getting a load equalizing hitch as the tongue weight on these trailers is pretty heavy.

Have had no issues towing it and have been through the mountains in BC, The Yukon and Alaska.

:D

Russian_Camp.gif

Edited by DRIFTER_016

volvo is already rigged to tow with the correct coolers and such, towing will add a degree of wear and tear to any automobile,not much you can do about it, make sure your tires are inflated properly and in good condition, clean all the crap out of front of a/c condensor/radiators and any coolers there and tow to your hearts content.

see many smaller full sized trailers in the under 20ft range that have been under 3k can be a thought, indoor plumbing and cooking on rainy camp days

we just sold our tent trailer last year after 16 years of owning it . kids have grown and does not make sense to take 2 vehicles on holidays anymore(one to pull boat one for trailer) and i would rather tent it then go boatless. Tent trailers are great on rainy days and cold nights with a furnance but as mentioned if it is raining on pack up day it sucks cause you will have to set up again when you get home to dry out. Personally I say buy good tents and tarp your tents to keep the site and them dry.get some of those BYO beds to keep you off the ground and comfy and camp when possible with electricity and use a space heater. You be better off buying a small travel trailer that way no worries about weather on pack up or set up.

Camper trailer = hassles.

Storage, maintenance, depreciation, set-up/ take down, extra gas towing it

That's what camping is all about, sleeping in a tent without the amenities of home.

This is true. But I do like the amenities when I'm in Alaska.

There's nothing like waking up, firing up the genny and grinding some good espresso beans and then running them through the espresso machine. A great cup O Joe in the woods is pretty awesome!!! :D

It does a lot of raining in Alaska too, plus there's the bear thing.

Spent the first 4 or 5 years tent camping there and had a few times where bears woke me in the middle of the night sniffing around the tent.

Makes one feel like an over sized burrito when you're in a tent. ;)

Tent campers aren't much more bear resistant but they do give you the illusion of security. :whistling:

Mind you, I do take my espresso machine, grinder and genny camping some times. B)

I've been to the Yukon and Alaska. Statistically speaking, the risk of a bear attack while sleeping in a tent is minimal, anywhere.

Snuggle up in your sleeping bag with your 12 gauge, safety on, with 4 slugs in the mag :)

Doesn't make it less creepy when they are sniffing @ your tent though. ;)

Ran into a large bear while exiting the river one day. She ignored me from 10 feet away.

Was pretty cool, I'm just glad I wasn't eaten. :lol:

FYI, she was over 1000#'s according to locals who had seen her.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Tent Trailers definitely make camping easier, particularly in foul weather. It's easier to wait out a rainy/stormy day in a tent trailer. We had one when I was a kid and it was a big step up comfort wise from the tent.

I would definitely still have a screened dining tent though. That is really a must when camping in my opinion.

I would rather the pop up if I was to start looking today because when it's closed you can still strap a small tinny to the 'roof' when in travel mode. And I have seen them as low as $1,500 locally in good looking condition. Never went in to check it but from the curb it looked good. You may find a great deal on one and if you have a place to store it then you're golden. Storing it is the concern for most...

I've often thought of buying one. I have 3 kids now, and it would be nice to have on the poor weather days. But storage and additional maintenance turn me off. I have 2 boats, and one more trailer to deal with would throw me over the edge. My driveway is only so big. I just go with a large 10x10 tent with a massive vestibule for sleeping, a second smaller tent for the kids to play in/read etc. and a screen tent for dinner. It works, but I have a full size pickup, so tons of room for storage. I have seen some excellent deals in NY state on pop up campers, something to consider even with the exchange rate it could be worth it.

always wanted one but when you price them out you will see that you are $4000.00 for a decent used one then add $500.00 for storage for the winter it adds up in a hurry. Even if you just invest the $500.00 you would pay for storage each year in new camping equipment each year you would have a pretty good set up in a few years

always wanted one but when you price them out you will see that you are $4000.00 for a decent used one then add $500.00 for storage for the winter it adds up in a hurry. Even if you just invest the $500.00 you would pay for storage each year in new camping equipment each year you would have a pretty good set up in a few years

Pretty much!!

I paid $6,500 for mine used but it was only a few years old and in like new condition.

I store it in a lot in Alaska and pay about $360 US/year for said storage.

But that $360 is less than the extra gas cost to get it there and back. ;)

If you're undecided, as to whether your family would get the use out of a trailer or even like camping in one; try renting for a couple of weekends this summer.

If trailer camping suits your families needs; start looking for one at the end of the season. That's when a lot of people start thinking of selling; before they have to store it for the winter?

Dan.

Not exactly your situation but im now sans kids

all i can say about a tent trailer make sure they are dry before you fold them up or at least get back to where you are going open it and let it dry mold is like a corrosive to fabric and it smells like crap

cheers peter

trucking.2JPG.JPG

Way back in '67 my wife and I bought a new soft top trailer from K-Mart in Scarboro. Nothing fancy but it was comfortable and we did a pile of travelling with it.

Payed $500 for it, used it for 5 years and sold it for $500.

One of my better investments LOL

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good advice from all of you. I think the 2 biggest concerns would be storage for the winter and perhaps the added fuel consumption. I will take the advice of camping a few more times, and renting one and decide at the end of fall what I want to do. If I do get one, I will be sure to let you guys know!

Edited by huzzsaba

Ill take a good tent anyday.

Scored a 12 man at CT a few years back for 75% off and its awesome.

Toms of room, easy access, good zippers etc

I dont like the rain while camping but we deal with it. And we always set up under lits of cover and it helps alot.

Whatever your choice ends up being, enjoy!!!

I may of missed something but I'd say skip the pop up and buy yourself an ancient hard top camper. Way less hassle, not necessarily much more weight, probably about as likely to leek somewhere, but they last forever. Probably cost you about the same too. Spent aproximately 3 to 6 weeks a summer between 1973 and 2011 in a hard shell 50's era camper till we let her go. Upgraded to a slightly larger golden falcon that dates from the 70's a few years back and love it. You can still pitch a tent if you want, but the wife and kids, particularly if you've got little ones, will appreciate the amenities of the the hardtop. And, yes, obviously, everyone loves a 12 gauge, regardless of the situation. Bring two.

I have a pop up camper and you need to be aware that when you close it up it needs to be dry or you must open it when you get home for it to dry properly. If not it will mildew just like your tent if you put it away wet.

It is more comfortable and has lots of room compared to my tent. Another issue you run into is during colder weather the ceilings over the beds will get very wet from condensation from your breath. I sleep with the windows open part way to help combat this issue.

I pull with a Honda Pilot that has a 5,000# tow rating when pulling a boat but 3,500# rating when pulling a camper.

Engine is a 3.5L 255HP V6.

It does fine but does eat a bunch of gas pulling it. I also ended up getting a load equalizing hitch as the tongue weight on these trailers is pretty heavy.

Have had no issues towing it and have been through the mountains in BC, The Yukon and Alaska.

:D

Russian_Camp.gif

We camped one year for 30 straight days in a popup camper and eliminated the condensation problem and heat problem by using PopupGizmos............I highly recommend them on the roofs.

http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

We camped one year for 30 straight days in a popup camper and eliminated the condensation problem and heat problem by using PopupGizmos............I highly recommend them on the roofs.

http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

I'll put them on the list of things to get.

Too bad I can't order them until after my next trip to Alaska since I have to be there to measure them up. :(