GOLF COURSE PONDS

jameshandz

HEY EVERYONE ,

SO A BUDDIE OF MINE WHO WORKS FOR A GOLF COURSE HERE IN THE GTA TOLD ME THAT HE WAS BORED AT WORK , HAD SOME SPARE LINE AND A HOOK , DUG UP A DEW WORM DID A LITTLE HAND CAST WAITING ABOUT 5 MIN AND PULLED IN A DECENT TROUT. HE DOESNT KNOW HOW IT GOT THERE OR HOW MANY ARE IN IT BUT HE HAS FOUND A NEW HOBBY ON BREAK .

HAS ANYONE EVER HERD OF THIS BEFORE? I KNOW BIRDS WILL SCOOP UP SOME EGGS WHILE IN THE WATER AND THE NEXT PLACE THEY LAND /// BAM >> YOU HAVE SOME FISH BUT STILL .

HE GOT A SUNFISH AND A SMALL TROUT SO FAR.

HE MAY THINK THERE IS SOME BASS BUT ONLY TIME WILL TELL .

Funny you mention this, at easter I was talking with a cousin and he works in the environmental field and was doing a survey on a golf course and saw 2 pike sun bathing in the shallows and from what he says they were probably there a while based on the size of them and the path in, to his eye too big to get back out from where they were lol

There fish in most larger ponds on courses. I was golfing a course in Carlisle years back that was owned by a former NFL 1st pickin the draft, Tony Mandarich ,and came across an older gent hauling in and releasing one Smallie after another. I stopped and asked him if it was possible to fish the ponds after pleasantries were exchanged, he replied, " Yea sure, get your son to buy a Golf course and fish all you want." My course is loaded with stocked Smallmouth. I'm told it isn't legal. The owner fishes when he wants. I've made a few casts and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I used to fish golf course ponds all the time (mainly in Florida) but have caught trout, rock bass and large mouth in gta golf course ponds. I carry a telescopic rod in my golf bag and when the course is slow I try to get me a lunker!

I keep telling my golf buddies I'm going to do that - I'll keep it with my ball retriever :)

Years ago, before I had my drivers licence, my buddy and I would jump on our mountain bikes and hit one of the local golf courses...they never had an issue with us on their property. We tried to stay out of sight nonetheless and off the greens/fairways. We'd sneak along the creek that connected 2 fair sized ponds, catching pike along the way. It was loaded with fish back then, and one of the few places we knew of that guaranteed fish. Hard to believe but we caught pike up to 32" in that little creek. We even used to ice fish the ponds in winter!! Haven't been back in a long time, I'm sure things have changed but good memories anyway.

One day while fishing that particular golf course I witnessed something that makes me laugh to this day. It involved a golfer who's ball landed inches from the water's edge on the pond where we were fishing, and on a very steep bank. To his credit he gave it his all, duffed it, lost his balance and ended up in the pond flat on his back...I'm sure he had a few wobbly pops in him. Took him a good 5 minutes to drag his butt out of the pond and up that steep bank. We were pretty young and too afraid to laugh out loud, but you should have heard his buddies killing themselves, it was priceless.

I remember seeing a real fishing episode where bob was fishing the ponds of a golf course a number of years ago

I know that episode all to well, I was the cameraman for that. "Golfing for Trout" was the episode name. If it is the same one we are talking about, it would have been about 25 years ago

some storm water management ponds in newer subdivisions have fish as well

yeah hows that?

I remember a story of a contractor confusing the sanitary and storm connections on a bunch of houses in a subdivision resulting in some "brown trout" swimming in the stormwater management pond