GOLF COURSE PONDS

jameshandz

http://www.forbes.com/2010/05/04/tpc-sawgrass-fishing-lifestyle-sport-golf-pga-tour.html

I recall hearing of a golf pro years ago catching a 10# plus bass out of a Florida golf course pond, it seems some of those golfers fish too. As far as I know all the golf course ponds in my area are stocked, getting permission to fish them? another story. It helps if you know someone in authority at them I guess?

The ponds are stocked for obvious reasons. Algae and grass eaters to keep the ponds from going scummy, and predators to keep those numbers in balance. A lot more cost effective than running large scale aeration, or dosing the ponds with algecides and defoliants.

There are bigger fish than 2 pounds in the large ponds on my course. I have seen 20" Smallies pulled out of there. The owners do let kids on the course in the spring and fall when they are not as busy. I wouldn't. I wouldn't approve of families walk the course with the dog either. It happens on our course and it can be dangerous because some don't have a clue what is going on. I have seen them stand too close to a fairway and wave you on. Move stupid. There is a huge liability issue at play here. Forget about drowning, the hazard is balls hitting some kid in the noggin when the pond magnets kick in and suck the ball towards the water hazard. Considering that course workers are required to wear hardhats I wouldn't want to be the one explaining to the authorities that someone was seriously injured while fishing. Talk about lack of due diligence. I'm told I worry too much, I just don't want to be hauled into court.

There are bigger fish than 2 pounds in the large ponds on my course. I have seen 20" Smallies pulled out of there. The owners do let kids on the course in the spring and fall when they are not as busy. I wouldn't. I wouldn't approve of families walk the course with the dog either. It happens on our course and it can be dangerous because some don't have a clue what is going on. I have seen them stand too close to a fairway and wave you on. Move stupid. There is a huge liability issue at play here. Forget about drowning, the hazard is balls hitting some kid in the noggin when the pond magnets kick in and suck the ball towards the water hazard. Considering that course workers are required to wear hardhats I wouldn't want to be the one explaining to the authorities that someone was seriously injured while fishing. Talk about lack of due diligence. I'm told I worry too much, I just don't want to be hauled into court.

Good point my friend

Ever get hit with a drive? I have and it bleepin smarts big time

Edited by manitoubass2

As kids we did it in north Burlington. We would wear green clothes, keep quiet, stay in the bush and out of sight. Small to medium sized pike were mind blowing as a kid.

In the mid 60's did much the same. Lived a short bike ride from some very private water and stocked ponds on the headwaters of Twelve Mile Creek here in Niagara. We had permission for some property but as always the grass was often greener over the fence, One pond well hidden in the bush had spec's up to 2 lbs., We were snobs even at a young age, we didn't fool around with the lowly stocked bow ponds.

I was going to post a pic of the storm water pond but I can't it will give the spot away because of the background shot !!!! Lol ....and those 3/4 - 1.5lb largemouth will be gone .... I was suprised that they were there too .... Many years ago I my freind had permission to fish a golf course and there is a nice creek running through it and we fished it lots and would catch some nice little browns and the creek is so small you would not think that anything would be even there !! The pond was maybe a few hundred feet long and the same wide I guess .... It was maybe 10ft deep we used to swim there too I'm not sure if any courses would let you fish them anymore probly due to the liability & garbage and destruction people do

As for the storm drains, yeah I know 2 in Brooklin some kids moved minnows into that were right after the rainbow run and where the minnows were taken from they were about to all die anyway due to lack of water. I want to go back to the one my kids friends plunked about 40 into... But I don't live there now...