Icing Nasty Greasy Greasers.

Moosebunk

No TV fishing host material here, the fish are the stars of the show. :clapping:

:good:

Bunk.

Will add this quick..
Finally the winter and ice fishing season came to a close with what will be an annual trip North. Staying the past two years with a friend it's a long full day drive but worth the miles in order to play on one of Ontario's most grand wilderness stages. My traveling buddy Len loves the snowmobiling and down time as much as his fishing, while I tend to go full bore into the abyss chasing lakers that have so far averaged out at 17.5 pounds when combining all catches from the years. It's like muskie hunting for ice-laker nuts but even harder on the bones. 400 kilometers on the Bravo, dozens of holes through up to four feet of ice and jigging hours and hours for the chance at 1, 2 or maybe 3 fish on sonar a day. The effort required puts anything I do at home here to shame, but often, so to do the rewards.

Some pics as well...

047_zpsaykfvdta.jpg
048_zpsvwykgzfm.jpg
049_zps3ud9huza.jpg
050_zpsy4mnfrtl.jpg
051_zpsdrpvu1f2.jpg
052_zpsbn5pjbzx.jpg
053_zpsl01ahk7g.jpg
054_zpsxwxjb1hg.jpg
055_zpsj6oblnrb.jpg
056_zpsb4wbxbl2.jpg
057_zpskfca8hci.jpg
058_zpsp8kaq8ap.jpg
059_zpsgsu7p0jc.jpg
060_zpsgczcc8zr.jpg
062_zpsbpej3jp6.jpg
7dde9a34-d89e-4740-b426-d58efe213314_zps
064_zpsv34uvlcv.jpg
Best for the softwater season gang. :)
Edited by Moosebunk

I couldnt wait to watch the vids Drew. (to slow to load at work to watch)

After the first vid,I was going to ask you about the reel and your thoughts on it. Then you answered it in the second.

I really like that you didnt use any music this time for these two,although I do like the music ones .

How long of a leader are you using and what knot are you using?

Great vids.

Thanks.

Because some have asked on separate boards I’m going to chime in on 13 Fishing’s upside-down baitcaster called the Tear Drop. This reel retails in Canada for about $90 and can be found at SAIL and maybe elsewhere. I’m not affiliated with these guys or anyone for that matter, so you can take this as an unbiased and honest opinion. I don’t normally speak on gear much either.

So, last year I had the worst time with line twist ice fishing heavy lures. The twist was basically from the business end up. Jigging big lakers like an angry madman for 6-8 hours in a day, I ground and pound all over the water column being fished. Any lures being worked this hard and fast caused twist. So, I extended the leader from 6 to 10 to 12 feet and although the increments bought me some time, still each day regardless I had to switch them out because they were worked into a matted mess. Between the mainline braid and more limp floro leads I use good quality ball bearing swivels. (size eludes me but they are rated around 40 pound test or more) A spinning reel was not the major part of the twist problem I guessed, yet I still wasn’t sure if it could be making matters worse when reeling up and down quite often.

13 Fishing’s reel was a questionable solution. I received one at Christmas. The impression out of the box was that it looked sleek and sexy, definitely innovative by design, good weight for size, “read” that it was quality parts, claimed quite a strong drag and, once on a 36 inch MH rod it balanced for me a little backward. It’s comfort in the palm however is unparalleled. Quite honestly, it’s number one attribute is how it sits in hand all day long like holding a baseball.

2ntydg8.jpg

Specs on this thing... Jap SS High Spin Spool Bearings, 8 stainless steel ball bearings, instant ant-reverse, 6.2:1 gear ratio, magnetic braking, spool control, smooth carbon drag system, line cap 6/180, and about double the drag strength of your average 1000 series spinning reel..... Whatever!!!

Day one it got put to the test on three lakers 17 pounds and up. I used it inside and outside of the hut, on a day which reached above zero degrees.

In the hut it performed quite well. The one video with that big laker it worked the reel over 10 minutes and the drag had to be at 80-85%. I didn’t let off. It was impressively tough and although smooth it could have been a touch smoother at that tight setting. The line from the reel would often slide through my 2nd and 3rd or, 3rd and 4th fingers which was a nice touch feeling that line as, drag noise in nearly non-existent... and I don’t prefer that. Also, balance was solved once lures 3/4 ounce and heavier were attached.

Outside it was much the same... until later on. Back in the hut after it had been sitting on the ice outside a time, when I picked it up to use it and tried dropping a lure it froze up. Whattup with that!!! An ice fishing reel freezing up. It wasn’t the line but in free-spool it was sticking. Anyways, it didn’t care too much for the cold but, because of how it sits in hand you warm it up enough that it does work again in no time. Bottom line, it’s not a reel for outside use on real cold days when you’d be wearing gloves. That and, anyone not palming the reel in pencil grip could have cold issues too. For me, it happened only a couple times through the week though, mostly on day one and it seemed to improve with use. I wondered if condensation or water had gotten in and that was the problem.

Blah, blah, blah... The final thought.

9/10 for comfort and looks. It’s reel arm edge can dig a little into the index with pencil grip while punch-jiggin’ heavy baits all day long. Reel handle is fine. Enjoy how it palms. It’s a cool design.

7/10 drag. Lighter settings flawless when new. Tighter a little sticky but overall good. Wished it sounded off like a spinning reel cause then the peelings gives good feelings.

6/10 for function. Still weary about the cold with this reel. Braided lines frozen while free spooling would be same issue as with any baitcaster yet, this is a reel supposedly designed for ice fishing and having freeze up issues with the spool and engaging in and out of free-spool was weird. It’s great in the hut or once warmed up in the hand. Baits drop fast and the anti-reverse and magnetic brakes work fine. Line capacity rocks. 6/180 over 6/110 with most spinning reels.

5/10 for price. $89.99. Well, 4 and 5 years ago I paid $40 a piece for some Mitchell Avocet Gold series spinning reels sizes 500 and 1000, and every one of them is still in fine working order. Some getting the same job done without issue at less than half the cost. They set their initial price, I say $69.99 but close enough. You're paying for a concept design with some reel appeal.

It’ll be with me in the hut until I wear it out. Gonna try softwater jiggin’ lakers with it this summer too.

Did this reel correct the line twist problem... Nope. As bad or worse in fact but, instead of the twist working it’s way up from the lure more seemed to begin at rod tip and work it’s way down.

Edited by Moosebunk

Awesome. Your renegade buddies are makin ya do all the heavy lifting with the little ol bravo? That last one is an absolute leviathan.

That little Bravo was made to do the heavy lifting, made to go where the Summits can't, and made to tow my arse and gear-train to all the good spots way out there in big fish land. ;) lol.

You got me thinking about the swivel. Your reeling it up through the rod and on to the reel spool? You did say 10-12 ft leader. Or, have you got the swivel between lure and main?

Yep. No probs at all reeling it thru with the Mitchell spinning reels (one of my Abu's too) or this new 13 Fishing jobby. Shimano 500 reels... yes, a problem to even get barrel ant swivels thru. Maybe not with their 1000 series though, haven't tried. Just prefer tying lures direct to leader. Big laker opps usually keep 3 rods rigged... the tube or bucktail rod, the jiggin' spoon rod, and lately messing with Rattlin' Rap type baits. If wanting to go snap swivel, I don't. Will go smallest swivel I can get away with to a split ring attached to the lure. Pimped out several lures Fergie style for this trip too using my own better, heavier and stronger parts for that. Made for great rattle but the back hook spent too much time wrapping itself on line.

Anyhow. Line twist of the leader would likely be reduced even more with that swivel right at the lure as opposed to up the line... but who knows? That leader twist can be worked out enough thru the day though to keep trucking until replaced. Both the 13 Fishing reel and the spinning reel (to a much lesser degree, but both reels were tested with same lures for approx same amount of time) caused twist from the rod tip down the line while jiggin' aggressively. Worst areas of twist in the line would occur at the footage up that line where I was most often jiggin'. No swivel anywhere is going to help that really but, twist higher up the line does little to ward off big fish, it's only just a pain that sometimes the line twists enough on falling slack that it somehow grabs the rod tip. That happens on a biting fish and you've got a catastrophe.

Anyways, all food for thought bud. Dozens of ways to catch fish eh!?!

Thanks Drew.

I get what your saying, I was just curious. I,ll have to give that a try this open water season for them. I still use a short 42 inch rod when jigging them out on the toon. I have always had a short lead with a swivel, but now I,m going to try your way.

Thanks again.

Edit to add, Im sure one of those inlines like the Black betty, would be good, as there is no bail for the swivel to hook up on. I would try a float reel,but would hate to see it go down to the depths.LOL

Which reminds me, I need to get making some lanyards for this up coming season..

Edited by Brian B

I tie my leaders on with uni-uni then add a small barrel swivel a couple feet from the lure. No line twist issues that way, and I dont like reeling a swivel thru my rod. If a big fish runs at the right time, that s1ivel coming back down the guides or off the reel can lead to a heartbreaker too.

Like you say Drew, a million ways to do it!

S.

I fish open water lakers the same way I do the ones through the ice.. 18-24in leader and go to town. Great job Drew, I've been talking to some friends up there, we might give it a go next winter (I'm flying, no way I'm driving, lol)

I tie my leaders on with uni-uni then add a small barrel swivel a couple feet from the lure. No line twist issues that way, and I dont like reeling a swivel thru my rod. If a big fish runs at the right time, that s1ivel coming back down the guides or off the reel can lead to a heartbreaker too.

Like you say Drew, a million ways to do it!

S.

I fish open water lakers the same way I do the ones through the ice.. 18-24in leader and go to town. Great job Drew, I've been talking to some friends up there, we might give it a go next winter (I'm flying, no way I'm driving, lol)

Only extended leaders there, like both of you, all other times just run 3 feet or so. Thinking with up north, with four feet of ice, snow on top, plus rod length, and strong heavy fish so far averaging high teens, when that thing's head just turns up the hole the swivel might not yet even be on the reel. As well, before turning the fish at the bottom of hole it got into mind that having that thicker more abrasion resistant floro rubbing at that bottom hole ice edge would be better than the narrower braid. Again, if the rod tip is inches above the water atop the hole and the laker is 2 or 3 feet from turning up at the bottom of the hole, there's still 6 to 7 feet of line off the rod. My preference is not to have that thrashing fish doing donuts under the hole and rubbing braid on ice. Good to have the swivel high too in this case, cause if line is cutting into hole ice and that swivel lodges in, it's as bad a karma as it getting hung up at the reel. Loosen the drag could remedy some worry, but maximum pressure one can get away with, without ripping out hooks gets that fish home quicker.

Again, we all have our methods. In this case too, it's rather experimental right now.. but working out OK.

Alone or with friends, I like that drive Bill. :wacko: