What 'signals' the true beginning of spring?

Beavertail

2 things that make it "spring" for me.

One.... first time my tiller gets out and tills up my veggie garden. Nothing better then a spring day with the tiller going, birds chirping and the smell of freshly tilled earth. God I love that day every year.

Two...when my tarragon plants at the back door are about 12 inches tall. That means bullheads and crappie are a no brainer in a couple of my spring spots :clapping::clapping::clapping:

I thought for sure your reply would have been something else. I guess we can discuss it at the spot in a few weeks. I'll make sure you get your syrup this year :)

S.

I thought for sure your reply would have been something else. I guess we can discuss it at the spot in a few weeks. I'll make sure you get your syrup this year :)

S.

You are soooooo correct my friend. Pretty hard to just pick one thing that makes it spring. That spot means spring to me with regards to fishing. Probably my favourite place on the planet for 1-2 weeks every year. I'm thinking it will be a month away rather then a few weeks but it will come. The maple syrup would be a nice added bonus. I hear it goes good will a pail of perch cream :whistling:

You are soooooo correct my friend. Pretty hard to just pick one thing that makes it spring. That spot means spring to me with regards to fishing. Probably my favourite place on the planet for 1-2 weeks every year. I'm thinking it will be a month away rather then a few weeks but it will come. The maple syrup would be a nice added bonus. I hear it goes good will a pail of perch cream :whistling:

Hey I'm coming with you guys this year lol

• 5 weeks later...

The sure sign of spring here is when the first batch of skitters arrives.

Usually there is still ice on the lakes and these slow, dumb pterodactyl sized skitters hatch.

They are easy to defend against since they are slow and the numbers are low.

The later hatches are another story. They are small fighter plane fast bugs that come in huge squadrons!!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I can help alleviate that problem if you'd like :)

Thanks for the kind offer! Think I'll be able to manage somehow though! ?They'll probably be scarce once the season opens anyway...that's how it always goes, but last night they were definitely out in full force.