Brutal winter-Will it affect the spring bite ?

knightfisher

Yes, yes and yes. Everything will happen later...

I'm hoping Lake O does not stay cold all summer like last year either...

X2 on that one Pete, but it sure isn't looking good right now, .. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/the-great-lakes-freeze-up-is-in-full-swing-heres-what-it-looks-like/45873/

Cover on February 21: 52.7 per cent

2014 maximum: 61.5 per cent

14 day forecast still doesn't show any highs above freezing, and the daily lows still dipping frequently into the double digits. :wallbash:

means cold waters once again, unless this summer is outlandishly hot, they won't warm up above 65F

As long as we don't go from winter right into summer like last year we'll be fine. We barely had a spring last year! That screwed up pretty much everything.

we actually had a good spring last year, think you're thinking of 2013, but heres the 2014 monthly weather for Toronto https://weatherspark.com/history/28448/2014/Toronto-Ontario-Canada

Brutal winter? Nah...not even close. Im sick of everybody whining about the "brutal winter" this year. Come on....its canada....it february...its winter. Get out and ENJOY it! Before ya know it, its gonna be over you everyone will be whining that its too hot, or too much rain...whaaaaaaa. Get out and enjoy it. Theres always ssomething to do, no matter what the weather.

Sorry for the rant, but it seems everywhere I go lately people are complaining about the "brutal" winter we're having.

S.

Brutal winter? Nah...not even close. Im sick of everybody whining about the "brutal winter" this year. Come on....its canada....it february...its winter. Get out and ENJOY it! Before ya know it, its gonna be over you everyone will be whining that its too hot, or too much rain...whaaaaaaa. Get out and enjoy it. Theres always ssomething to do, no matter what the weather.

Sorry for the rant, but it seems everywhere I go lately people are complaining about the "brutal" winter we're having.

S.

Your right Shane, we have only had one month of real winter, which is Feb

Your right Shane, we have only had one month of real winter, which is Feb

No kidding! Even up north January and December were both very relatively mild without a ton of snow and all of a sudden it's a brutal winter after 2-3 weeks of seasonal weather. It's only February people!!

It will definitely be a late spring... And yes it will effect fishing...

The st lawrence seaway won't open till the end of March this year...

I can't remember the last time I couldn't get the boat in the river in March... But I doubt I'll be able to this year...

Just have to adapt a bit...

Had one of my best years last year but I made a lot of changes....

S.

It's been a beautiful winter...

But the ice coverage (at least here) this year is more then I've seen in a while...

Yes going to be a delayed spring for sure and will affect the bite !!!! Going to be a cold spring too as the Great Lakes are almost all frozen & all that cold water will affect our weather for sure bring ing more rain & cold weather and unstable weather according to those who know !!!! And iff the azz hats lower the Kawartha lakes any lower than they are right now we won't have a launch to use !!!!! Down 3-4 feet crazy lowest I have seen

Yes going to be a delayed spring for sure and will affect the bite !!!! Going to be a cold spring too as the Great Lakes are almost all frozen & all that cold water will affect our weather for sure bring ing more rain & cold weather and unstable weather according to those who know !!!! And iff the azz hats lower the Kawartha lakes any lower than they are right now we won't have a launch to use !!!!! Down 3-4 feet crazy lowest I have seen

That oughta produce a few motor ticklers in some spots ?

i caught pickerels on GB all the way to Canada day last year, thats unheard of for us.

Usually come June the fish are gone out into the open areas and fishing becomes way more difficult.

I didnt mind the lower weed cover, kept a lot of spots active longer before they became surfaced out. Last years fishing wasnt bad for me at all. Kept the bigger fish out of the bigger water and back in the channels longer.

Also cant complain about jiggin perch in April hard water.

Edited by AKRISONER