refilling 1 Lb propane tank

icefisherman

I look at it from the other side of the coin. It costs about $50 for a 5lb tank, good for 10 years, $5 a year. It costs about $3.75 to fill or .75 a lb. Good for 4-5 outings, get it refilled on the way home. There's no limit on how many times you can get it refilled within the 10 year period. I don't think you would want to try that with a 1lb throw away tank. Even if you had ten of them, you still have to pay for the initial cost of the 1lb tanks, now who is ahead. You still have to pay for the adapter and take a chance that something might leak. At Costco you pay by the pound, not a flat rate.

I too pick up new tanks from the provincial parks. I only open the valve for 1 minute and I never get a full pound in the tank. With the price to fill at costco around $11 for the 20 lbs it costs well under a dollar per fill up. After filling and soapy water testing they get stored outside or on my heater. I got 5 hours of heat from my partly filled tank with my small heater. My hands tend to get cold so I have to have a heater...plus I'm getting old..lol

The snarkiness against a few people who clearly know what they're doing and are being careful while doing it is quite something. Do you ever speed when you drive? Because that's against the law and is dangerous too.

Anyhow, the processes that've been outlined here are great. I don't burn enough propane in a winter to go this route, but it's great knowledge to have. Also agree with the common sense notion. If you're sloppy and careless, not something you should be doing. If you've got a decent head on your shoulders, it's not rocket science.

$5 for 1lb tank where I am, 2 and a half a day on average, more on a very cold day...the savings add up quick...having refilled 20lb tanks for a couple summers, sure there is a risk but as with anything, common sense goes a long way

anybody seen these before? for $20 (plus shipping/customs) these seem like an alright deal

http://www.propane-refill.com/products/refillable-propane-cylinders

yes but accidents do happen. maybe I tend to value life a little more. to each their own i guess.

Which was why I made my car accident statement a few posts above.. Accidents do happen, but if you're safe about it the odds are drastically reduced. That's all I was getting at.

yes but accidents do happen. maybe I tend to value life a little more. to each their own i guess.

You will never convince anybody here that does it that it is a bad idea...this is not the first time this debate has been here!

I do not use small cylinders too any extent if I did perhaps I would risk a accident to save 50 bucks... :huh:

Edited by lookinforwalleye

driving is legal, refilling these bottles is not. to save $20 or $30 a year on propane, come on. stupid is as stupid does.

Speeding can kill you. It is also illegal. In fact you are more likely to die in a car crash than from refilling propane bottles. People still speed, ergo your argument is invalid. LOL, I'm just having fun with you! There a lots of things that are illegal and people still do them every day, in the grand scheme of things, this is pretty minor. If you don't want to refill, that's cool, but let's not make a huge deal out of it, or we are going to have to start another thread about all the other illegal crap people do and live to tell the tale!

sad but avoidable....perfect example of how not to do it

refilling inside his garage...

not only that but if I remember right, he had the 1lb tank squeezed in a vise while filling it

and this one has been bouncing around for 5 or 6 years because it's the only death they can come up with