refilling 1 Lb propane tank

icefisherman

A buck or two? I don't use them myself, I just lug the 20 lbr everywhere... but when you go through 2 or 3 x 1 pounders a day. At just $1.20 to refill vs how much to buy a new one? 10 day ice fishing trip... 30 empty tanks PER GUY.. to landfill !

Edited by irishfield

Yah Bernie.. wear gloves.. the stuff is COLD! :canadian:

Emil.. I saw the adapter in TSC in New Liskeard this summer, should have bought a hand full of them!

Very easy to make your own, from an old 20lb tank fitting and a propane torch head.

Edited by irishfield

I don't do it but when they fill my refillable tanks they weigh them as the Ish says.

For instance empty weight on my 5# tank is 8# filled to 80% (5#'s of propane) it weighs 13#'s.

Weigh an empty 1#er add 1# to that weight and you will have a properly filled 1# tank.

Be easier if you had a soft hose going between the large and small tanks and weigh as you are filling.

When @ the right weight close valve on supply tank.

Been doing it for years. Bought my fill valve in the US. Be sensible, don't fill near open sources of flame, don't fill inside, wear gloves and safety glasses and pay attention to what your doing. If you follow that advice, your very unlikely to be a statistic.

Thanks Wayne. I'll use my digital scale to wait the tank after filling it. But what if it gets overfilled by then....I guess I have to connect it and burn some of it before transporting it? And how much of an issue that is in winter when temps should actually help by preventing expansion of the gas inside? Maybe more of issue in the summer...but even then the valve should release the extra pressure should it occur.

Btw I wish you've got some of those adapters so I can buy one from you now ;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

A buck or two? I don't use them myself, I just lug the 20 lbr everywhere... but when you go through 2 or 3 x 1 pounders a day. At just $1.20 to refill vs how much to buy a new one? 10 day ice fishing trip... 30 empty tanks PER GUY.. to landfill !

Doing something illegal and possibly dangerous to be "green" and keep stuff out of the landfill?

if you over fill don't try to burn it off if it's really over filled it will spit liquid not gas, hook it up to a touch nozzle and and let the liquid spit out, once gas starts coming out it's ready to go I have only overfilled one once and that was because after I filled it I put it back in the freezer then filled it again, not one of Lloyds better ideas

lol

but live and learn

If you do it, use the filter and weigh it compared to and new 1lb. If the 20lb tank is full, it takes about 20 to 30 seconds to fill the 1 lb. As the level in the 20lb goes down, it takes longer. Use soap and water to test the seal after on the 1 lb. After a few uses (5-6) they will leak.There's lots of crap in most 20lb tanks. This said, buy yourself the hose for the Buddy heater and use a 20lb tank with it. Saves a lot of pissing around.

they can't explode from pressure

filling with a 20lber

if you fill them the right way it is safer then walking on ice

it became illegal because of lobbying from the propane companies

I have had more issues with new tanks then refilled tanks

Holy crap you guys will go threw alot.

Whats the price for 1lbers over der?

Last I picked up was 3 for 10 (just like those wacky smokes used to be).

Also do you guys run your friggen heaters all day??? One is gonna enough for a day for me??????

I'd rather spend 3.33 per and be safe/legal

I run a 15,000BTU sunflower heater on a 5# tank and get two days out of it.

It generally runs full out most of the days I'm on the ice. A warm winter day is -20 here. :D

My Buddy heater is for things other than ice fishing as it on high is like my sunflower on low.

I picked up the Buddy to use in my tent trailer in Alaska in the fall when the temps drop below freezing. I don't like listening to the furnace run non stop. ;)

I run a 15,000BTU sunflower heater on a 5# tank and get two days out of it.

It generally runs full out most of the days I'm on the ice. A warm winter day is -20 here. :D

My Buddy heater is for things other than ice fishing as it on high is like my sunflower on low.

I picked up the Buddy to use in my tent trailer in Alaska in the fall when the temps drop below freezing. I don't like listening to the furnace run non stop. ;)

You opinion doesn't count mountain man???

Where you thrive I'd do anything legal/illegal to stay warm hahaha.

That being said I fish alot in -35/-40 and still rarely use my heater

I guess it's all preference but if I'm cold I just drill a hole or two. Or move around.

I'll never buy a flip over either it's just not necessary for me. (im not criticizing those that do however) I did enjoy my old shack before it turned into a teenage drug haven

We are required to wear elbow length rubber gloves when we change the propane tanks on the forklifts at work. When liquid propane escapes and evaporates, it WILL cause frost bite on exposed skin. I would not risk it for the money you would save. I would buy a 5 pound refillable and an adapter hose instead.

I currently have a supply of fat and skinny propane tanks from friends and family that either couldn't be bothered to use them up or got rid of the appliances that use them. I knew one guy that would bring a new one every time he went fishing or hunting, because he didn't want to run out of heat. Most are 1/2 - 3/4 full...

Why we time it Chris and as Terry noted we've only had one that ever spit liquid... and of course that was the one we put in the portable shower just to make life a little more exciting that winter !! Why I'm bringing a scale to camp this year... to get it down to a science on time vs fill weight.

As for those gloves 35wailwin, thank the labour board and / or you health and safety committee for that. Probably not a bad idea, but do you do that to change your BBQ tank at home??? You probably should I guess, as there is no difference between it and that 33 pounder on the fork truck. The propane "gods" got so bad that we got rid of our propane trucks all together at the plant and went totally electric trucks, just to keep the Labour board at bay from their nonsense.

Filling a one pounder from a 20, using strictly the pressure in the tank is a LOT safer than filling a 20 from that big ass tank in the yard with a pump.... and yes I have a licence to do that, as does my wife, my in-laws and at least one of the sister-in-laws.

Watching the old man fill a 100 pounder with an outdated rusty valve, that my wife refused to fill, and having it blow off the weight scale and into the ditch... all while the customer was standing beside said ditch (now full of propane) with a smoke in his mouth... now that may make your heart skip a beat or two! Filling a one from a twenty.... only illegal because someone wasn't making money and lobbied against it.

Edited by irishfield

The only difference between changing a tank at home and at the plant is our operators would change more tanks in a week than in a few years at home. It's the theory of compound exposure to failure. Yes I worked for MOL here in Ontario for a while. Simply put if you pump gas for a living you are more likely to spill gas on yourself than the guy doing it every 10 days.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

We are required to wear elbow length rubber gloves when we change the propane tanks on the forklifts at work. When liquid propane escapes and evaporates, it WILL cause frost bite on exposed skin. I would not risk it for the money you would save. I would buy a 5 pound refillable and an adapter hose instead.

This is what people who have never used these adapters fail to understand as they simply think that something the government has banned must be an evil and deadly child killing device.There is no crazy amounts of propane flying around. There are no exploding tanks because safety features on the tanks prevent this. Filling your car at the gas station is likely more dangerous.

It's comparable to changing the tank on your BBQ. How many of you think that is a huge safety risk?

that's fantastic but you still have to calculate when you're at 80 %, there's no citiot light or gauge on there

The relief valve does not always work. I just refilled my 20lb last month. Guess what? It got over filled. The attendant was not paying attention to the scale and was relying on the valve to do it's job. Was spitting liquid for a bit, but I've got it working fine now.

Edited by bigugli