White Fish Recipe

Pikeslayer

Left whole, scaled and gutted. Rub cavity with salt and butter.

Make a standard poultry stuffing, but add a can of crab meat or cocktail shrimp to the mix.

Stuff the cavity and truss it shut. Drizzle lemon juice on outside.

Wrap in foil. Bake in oven at 350F for at least 20 minutes.

I have to say fried up line Misfish stated is my favourite way.

Never tried smoked, but would really love to.

I have also backed the fillets on a cookie sheet. But a point I might add about baking

Try using parchment paper. Nothing sticks to that stuff. No Pam needed.

When I bake them I usually try different things. Store bought rubs. Italian dressings, home made rubs or maronades. Google "ginger glaze" and see what comes up. Tatsty

Just fillet it like any other fish.. EXCEPT... you MUST then cut the dark meat (blood line and muscle) off all the pieces. Then coat / batter / how ever you like your pickerel or any other fish and deep fry. Tastes like anything else if you get rid of that dark mush!

Smoked!

This recipe is amazing. Simple but very tasty! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/488218415827842660/

Thanks...I saw that after I posted. Fixed with a link to a different site with the same recipe.

Just fillet it like any other fish.. EXCEPT... you MUST then cut the dark meat (blood line and muscle) off all the pieces. Then coat / batter / how ever you like your pickerel or any other fish and deep fry. Tastes like anything else if you get rid of that dark mush!

I find the trick with whities is to eat them fresh. Once you freeze them, they just arent the same. Even when they freeze on the ice I find they arent as good.

I usually batter and deep fry them.

S.

Got 3 more Sunday my friend. Time for a trip to Sturgeon :)

Thx Wallacio. Big fan of JO. Going to try that with fillets from 1/2 the fish.

For sure Wayne. Gonna deep fry the other 1/2.

Dang!! Their cleaned & frozen but I've learned that baking partially frozen/thawed, results is much better after freezing??

Results to be posted.

I think there was a post that said lather it in mayo. I totally agree but take it a step further and add mustard and cheese. Dosent sound or look good but it tastes amazing. It's great for kids or people who don't like a fishy taste. Either bake or wrap in foil and bbq it. Mud line removal is a must. Also don't forget to remove the pin bones especially from larger whiteys.

I like them stuffed and baked.

Bread in 3/4" cubes, celery, salt and pepper, a couple squirts of lemon juice, diced onion.

bake uncovered whole with skin on.

Get rid of the mud line when you peel the skin off.

The crispy part of the stuffing is good but it gets mushy towards the middle