What's your biggest fish through the ice?

manitoubass2

22lb laker. Scared the crap out of me. It was OOS though, by about 7 hours. Caught it fishing walleyes on new years eve at dusk, and laker season didnt open until midnight! Caught on a tip up with 10lb mono and handlined the whole way! I was only 15 when I caught it! Havent come close to topping it since!! A few high teens, but nothing over 20 since! It was my lucky day. I didnt even get a photo....

S.

I remember the thread- "yup, that's an 8" hole", looks like a Great Bear Lake laker but bigger

Curryale, that's a beauty, more of the story would be cool, bait? depth?

That guy was caught on my all time favorite splake bait - a jig and a minnow. When things get slow for me on a I just yo-yo my bait 6 inches off the bottom.

The lake that we were fishing that day is shaped like a "pot". It drops off very quickly from shore around the entire circumference of the lake. That fish was taken in about 30 feet of water (which is unusually deep for me).

I thought for sure I had foul hooked a fish when I first got him on .... The teeth on him were pretty gnarly and when I asked my buddy to help me get him through the hold the answer was "I am not sticking my hand in there".

That guy was caught on my all time favorite splake bait - a jig and a minnow. When things get slow for me on a I just yo-yo my bait 6 inches off the bottom.

The lake that we were fishing that day is shaped like a "pot". It drops off very quickly from shore around the entire circumference of the lake. That fish was taken in about 30 feet of water (which is unusually deep for me).

I thought for sure I had foul hooked a fish when I first got him on .... The teeth on him were pretty gnarly and when I asked my buddy to help me get him through the hold the answer was "I am not sticking my hand in there".

Haha....you need to tell your buddy to put down his purse!!!

I'd draw blood for anyone for a splake like that!!

S.

Is that a skin mount nipfisher? Nice looking mount. Mine is going to be a skin mount. Not the longest pike I have caught but largest through the ice. I'm sure it had a lake trout in its gut. I will take a picture of the mount post it on here once I get it back.

Caught this pike last winter fishing for walleye with 8lb test and small minnow fishing alone. Had a hell of a time getting its head started in the hole. Was 43.5 inches long and weighed 24.5lbs. Its getting mounted, hope to get it back soon.

attachicon.gifPike.jpg

That is one beautiful pike. Don't see them that big down in Niagara. Best I've managed was 38" northern.

bigugli, do you know 'Jaci'?

She is a native lady who fishes Jordan Harbour/Hamilton Harbour etc.

She has taken 2 pike over 40" in the last couple years...photo's of both are floating around. one from each of the spots above.

She is the pike queen, lol.

bigugli, do you know 'Jaci'?

She is a native lady who fishes Jordan Harbour/Hamilton Harbour etc.

She has taken 2 pike over 40" in the last couple years...photo's of both are floating around. one from each of the spots above.

She is the pike queen, lol.

Heard of her, but never met.

We hear of 40"+ pike every year coming out of L Ontario or L Erie

• 2 years later...