NF-Should winter tires be mandatory in Ontario

LostAnotherOne

that the difference is night and day.

There's a huge difference Steve between winter & all season tires and it encompasses starting, stopping & turning on snow covered roads.

Whether you've got front wheel drive, rear wheel or all wheel drive, put winter tires on all 4 corners and the difference is definitely day & night.

I worry that when people have Winter Tires they may pay less attention and drive less safe. A lot of times the 'safety feature' causes people to drive worse.

Hear the same argument for seatbelts, airbags, daytime running lights, traction control, ABS. and salting/sanding roads.

There's a huge difference Steve between winter & all season tires and it encompasses starting, stopping & turning on snow covered roads.

Whether you've got front wheel drive, rear wheel or all wheel drive, put winter tires on all 4 corners and the difference is definitely day & night.

X2

Never believed in them, never needed them, put a set on Sue's car for her a couple of years ago and couldn't believe the difference. We now have winter tires for both our cars and would never do without them again!!!

Better stopping better starting, doesn't make us more careless, just lets us adjust more quickly for the others that don't have them or don't know how to drive on bad roads.

I don't care if they are mandated or not, I use them anyway!

We don't get a lot of snow here, bought a snowblower when I retired in 08, never used it one winter and maybe 5 times last year , that was the most. I just don't go out when the roads are bad. Not an option for most but I would be really pisssst if I had to put them on the Jeep , it does OK for what we get with the Goodyear's Wranglers on it. I would probably get them if I lived in a snow belt and had to go out every day.

It may make sense in northern Ontario. But in southern Ontario we often have dry roads and warm temperatures in mid winter.

But what about the days when the roads aren't dry John ??

Just be on any road when there's a decent snowfall and cars are slipping & sliding all over the place and can't get up even smallish hills and they've got fuming drivers lined up behind them.

As I said earlier, there's absolutely NOTHING worse than being fully equipped for winter driving but you can't go anywhere because of all the drivers that say they don't need winter tires.

I have a complete set of 4 winter tires on rims for 3 separate vehicles (mine and my daughters), several years ago I had never driven with snows.

The difference is night and day, if you believe differently you are not as informed of the difference between "all season" and "winter tires" as you should be.

The life lost because of a poor and uniformed decision could be one of your own family members or even yourself.

Mandated, slippery slope but I will give my daughters every advantage available, cost is not a factor!

Yup as said above if you don't think there is a difference then you obviously have never driven a season on winter tires. I never used them until my previous car ('04 Buick LeSabre). Slapped a set of X-Ice on it and I could drive around (literally) all wheel drive SUV's that still had all seasons on, it amazed me. I drive around 70,000Km per year.

Just got a set of rims and Nordics for the van the wife and daughter drive. $900 and change but it is much worth it if it prevents an accident.

I think it would be great to see it mandated as in Quebec.

Burt :)

You'd be wrong. I've run winters on both my car and truck. I'd rather have a good driver on all seasons, then a bad driver on winters.

We can't legislate "bad drivers" that's already a given and proven!

The incompetency with the MTO and licensing is abysmal at best!

But we can legislate the incompetents with better tools for the job.

Lord knows I value my life, my children's lives and yours as well along with your families.

It's a proven fact that all season radial tires are not designed to perform in temps much below ..... brrrrr, cold!

We can't legislate "bad drivers" that's already a given and proven!

The incompetency with the MTO and licensing is abysmal at best!

But we can legislate the incompetents with better tools for the job.

Lord knows I value my life, my children's lives and yours as well along with your families.

It's a proven fact that all season radial tires are not designed to perform in temps much below ..... brrrrr, cold!

The problem is you aren't just legislating the incompetents, you're putting everyone under one umbrella. For the family that's just getting by, now they've gotta dish out extra $$$ for snow tires?

'No presents for Xmas this year Tommy, Santa had to put snow tires on mommy and daddys car!'

It's too bad we can't teach common sense :)

The problem is you aren't just legislating the incompetents, you're putting everyone under one umbrella. For the family that's just getting by, now they've gotta dish out extra $$$ for snow tires?

'No presents for Xmas this year Tommy, Santa had to put snow tires on mommy and daddys car!'

It's too bad we can't teach common sense :)

Bull!

If they have a car and insurance the cost of winters is easily offset by the reduced mileage on their summers.

I'm on a disability pension and can manage to swap out three vehicles twice yearly.

Your rebuttals ring hollow with me.

Bull!

If they have a car and insurance the cost of winters is easily offset by the reduced mileage on their summers.

I'm on a disability pension and can manage to swap out three vehicles twice yearly.

Your rebuttals ring hollow with me.

You're making some wild assumptions on what people barely scraping by can/cannot afford. You have a crystal ball you're looking into? Quit supplementing that disability pension with your thriving rod building business and we'll see if your tune changes when you're forced to shell $$$ you don't have.