Waterfront Home a Reality!

Dutch

Well, back a month or so ago, I made a post about every one's opinions on buying waterfront. Many offered up great advice and my wife and I appreciate it.

Well, Sunday we put in an offer on a place on Buckhorn Lake, Emerald Isle area. After going back a forth a couple of times, they accepted our offer based on condition of selling our place - great more stress and wait as we had not yet listed.

Well we listed this morning, had 3 visits today and sold the place for 99.6% of list. It worked out great for both parties as they are in an apartment and could meet the closing date we put on the other place, July 20. We basically gave ourselves 2 weeks to sell this place to meet that date and, in the end, priced it right.

Just a couple of formalities - house inspection on our end and on theirs, not expected to cause any problems as the place we are going into is 4 years old and ours is 8. I wanted to be on the water by the time I was 40, made it almost 10 years early - hopefully I can retire that much earlier than expected too!

Mid-Summer on the lake, can't wait.

Thanks for the advice to those that gave it, it help us focus on what was important and gave us a great perspective from many different points of view.

Here's a couple of pics I took of the house (yep, there will definitely be a deck attached to that ledger soon enough):

Outside, from the waterfront:

gallery_383_255_39967.jpg

Outside, a closer shot:

gallery_383_255_127928.jpg

Inside, towards water, front great room:

gallery_383_255_16981.jpg

Just realized I didn't take any of the water, 105 ft of frontage, NW facing across a bay that is about 600 m across. Located right in the centre of Upper Buckhorn - go left to Gannons Narrows and into Pigeon or right through Harrington Narrows and into Chemong.

congrats on the new house it looks very nice, it is a dream of mine to own a waterfront home one day hopefully in the not to distant future my problem is I still have 3 adult sons living at home and I don`t have the heart to kick them to the curb yet but my patience is waning.

Good luck with your new home.

Nice Dutch and congrats. You may find the one you are buying has never had a final inspection. No deck and no false/safety rails on the upper patio doors are why I say that. A good building inspector would have made them put a false rail outside those upper doors before issuing a move in permit.

And what Don said....when's the party!

Welcome to the "Holy Land"! Now you can be an "Ennismoron" as well!

Maybe we'll see ya on the lake, I'm only about a mile or two to the west of you, just past Youngs Cove.

Thanks for all the positive comments. We are really excited.

Definitely will have to have some sort of a get-together once the deck is done. I think that will be the first project once we get settled. I was looking at some ideas on the net when I got home from work today. All I know is it has to be wide enough, at least in one area for either a screened room or one of those gazebo things with the mosquito webbing. Let me know if anyone knows a good website for deck plans or if you have any suggestions. Probably building this myself (with some help, of course) so I may be able to do some "custom" things. Anybody use lexan or plexi for railings?

Will also probably build some sort of platform deck down near the water for lounging and near a fire pit.

So many ideas.....so much work, but in the end it will be worth it.