tb4me

That's great Dave,but I want to see meat and potatoes asap.We have enough young players IMO.We need to make some veteran moves as soon as possible.Draft choices won't make much difference for the most part for a few years.Maybe I'm wrong?.

Isn't that the kind of thinking that has prevented the Leafs from building a great team all these years?

They gave up Tukka Rask, three first round draft choices, two second round draft choices, and a fourth round choice for Andrew Raycroft, Vesa Toskala, and Phil Kessel. With a little patience, the Leafs could have Rask and six draft choices (Three 1st, Two 2nd, and a 4rth rounder) instead of Kessel.

A proper rebuild takes time; it is going to require a few bad years before they can build a solid team. It is frustrating that they didn't start back in 2005/06. Midway through the first season after the lock out it was pretty obvious that the team was not a contender and that a rebuild was required. If they had started then, we might have had a shot at the cup by now. But they chose to make short term decisions instead.

It is frustrating that we have to endure a few years of bottom feeding after years of missing the playoffs; but the alternative is another decade or two of teams that struggle to make the playoffs.

Isn't that the kind of thinking that has prevented the Leafs from building a great team all these years?

They gave up Tukka Rask, three first round draft choices, two second round draft choices, and a fourth round choice for Andrew Raycroft, Vesa Toskala, and Phil Kessel. With a little patience, the Leafs could have Rask and six draft choices (Three 1st, Two 2nd, and a 4rth rounder) instead of Kessel.

A proper rebuild takes time; it is going to require a few bad years before they can build a solid team. It is frustrating that they didn't start back in 2005/06. Midway through the first season after the lock out it was pretty obvious that the team was not a contender and that a rebuild was required. If they had started then, we might have had a shot at the cup by now. But they chose to make short term decisions instead.

It is frustrating that we have to endure a few years of bottom feeding after years of missing the playoffs; but the alternative is another decade or two of teams that struggle to make the playoffs.

We had several years where we could have had a descent team.Bad management would be to blame for the most part IMO.Hope that type of management thinking is far behind us now. Time will tell.

Anyone remember when Ottawa had Ray Emery and Wade Redden in the room? These two had "lifestyle" issues and a terrible work ethic/attitude. Once traded the chemistry in the room improved immensely and the team started to compete every night.

I would equate Phil Kessel with either of those individuals. How many other players in the room look at Phil Kessel as the benchmark for effort and coachability? The culture of the Leafs will never change until those players are removed. Trade him as fast as you can so we can watch a team that puts forth an effort every night. I'm not worrying about winning just a decent effort will do.

Anyone remember when Ottawa had Ray Emery and Wade Redden in the room? These two had "lifestyle" issues and a terrible work ethic/attitude. Once traded the chemistry in the room improved immensely and the team started to compete every night. I would equate Phil Kessel with either of those individuals. How many other players in the room look at Phil Kessel as the benchmark for effort and coachability? The culture of the Leafs will never change until those players are removed. Trade him as fast as you can so we can watch a team that puts forth an effort every night. I'm not worrying about winning just a decent effort will do.

That would be nice,were not asking for too much.

I've heard Kessel won't pass the Babcock preseason fitness test. Then what? Can he be sent to the AHL under any conditions? He laid such an egg last year nobody will even talk trade for the guy

Don't know where you got that info from there have been many teams putting out feelers on him, as much as anyone says he isn't the ideal vision of fitness he is definitely in shape. Need I remind you the fastest skater competition? You can't do that without being extremely fit. And if you had a clue you might of realised prior to Carlyle getting the boot he was on fire and well on the way to setting career high points, when horachek showed up the collective team laid an egg figuratively.

:)are you his agent or his dad? I've coached enough hockey to recognize a player with a bad attitude and a poor work ethic. The egg was laid before Carlyle got the boot that's why he got the boot. Kessel was already heading for the dumpster by that point in the season. The lack of fitness rumour is no secret. Two teams inquired about him (sportsnet article) and they thought the asking price was too high. Don't pin this on Horachek!

So what do they do with him if he doesn't pass Babcock's fitness test?

Don't know where you got that info from there have been many teams putting out feelers on him, as much as anyone says he isn't the ideal vision of fitness he is definitely in shape. Need I remind you the fastest skater competition? You can't do that without being extremely fit. And if you had a clue you might of realised prior to Carlyle getting the boot he was on fire and well on the way to setting career high points, when horachek showed up the collective team laid an egg figuratively.

makes you wonder why the Leafs are trying so hard to dump this super star.....

What can they do? His ability will speak for itself and only increase his trade value, he may be gone by the upcoming trade deadline if he plays to his abilities and babcock coaches the team up, but that's the way of the road bubs

makes you wonder why the Leafs are trying so hard to dump this super star.....

For the first time in atleast 40 years the Leafs are looking to do a long term rebuild.

Leaf's management even commented about this year's draft choices; they are not drafting players that can move up the NHL quickly. They were okay with players spending three years in the minors before moving up to the NHL. They don't need players who can contribute over the next three years; they need players who can contribute in 4, 5, or 6 years from now.

It makes sense to trade Kessel, Phaneaf, Lupol, etc. for younger players or draft choices that will help the team when the 2015 and 2016 draft choices are ready to contribute.

I've heard Kessel won't pass the Babcock preseason fitness test. Then what? Can he be sent to the AHL under any conditions? He laid such an egg last year nobody will even talk trade for the guy

Put one of the elite scorers in the AHL because he had a bad year? lol

Lou Lamoriello is a smart guy. He knows his team isn't any good so what does he do. He hires a coach with no NHL experience looking to build up with draft picks. Wish other teams would do the same. If your saying no and Ray Shero is the GM then your wrong. Lou still runs the show.

I enjoyed watching that draft. Edmonton, Buffalo and Calgary will be awesome to watch now.

Good pick with Marner. It was nice that Shanahan let Hunter go up and be the face of Leaf drafting.

As for as fitness, apparently Kessel is signed up for summer training with Gary Roberts.