tb4me

The first pick does not necessarily go to the last place team. There is a lottery to select the fist pick. Every team that misses the playoffs has a chance to win the lottery. The last place team has better odds than a team that just misses playoffs; but any team that misses the playoffs does get a chance.

The Leaf's will miss the playoffs, and thus, will have a shot at McDavid. The worse they do, the better their odds.

Looking at the standings now. If Buffalo wins 9 of their last 24 and the Leafs win 2 of their last 24, then Leafs will finish behind Buffalo. So if the Leafs continue at their current pace, then dead last is possible and second last is probable.

I am aware of that. The odds are not in their favour though. When is the last time a team farther down in the standings won the lottery?

Their best bet is to finish last and I can't see that happening.

Edited by jimmer

One draft pick, be it 1st, 2nd or 5th is not going to change the world even if it is Conner McDavid. Take Edmonton for example....they have Hall, Eberle & Nugent-Hopkins and they are still struggling.

Forget what Crosby did for the Pens?

Forget what Crosby did for the Pens?

Sid the kid was a nice addition to an already solid foundation including the likes of Malkin, Gonchar, Recchi, and Jordan Staal....he didn't change the course of history all on his own either.

Sid the kid was a nice addition to an already solid foundation including the likes of Malkin, Gonchar, Recchi, and Jordan Staal....he didn't change the course of history all on his own either.

A nice addition? Yeah, I'd say so, lol.

Not at all. He would be just one part of the bigger picture, which is the total team rebuild.

This kid is going to be a super star and if you get a couple more good draft picks as well as some of the talent on the Marlies together with the likes of Kadri, Reily etc you have a recipe for success.

Not at all. He would be just one part of the bigger picture, which is the total team rebuild.

This kid is going to be a super star and if you get a couple more good draft picks as well as some of the talent on the Marlies together with the likes of Kadri, Reily etc you have a recipe for success.

Just keep telling yourself that, for like another 49 years :w00t::rofl2:

I don't see Toronto surpassing either Buffalo or Edmonton which means no McDavid or Eichel. They will end up with either a 3rd,4th, or 5th pick which unfortunately doesn't get me excited. Hopefully the player they pick turns into a unexpected star, but I'm not too sure. Theirs a big defenseman I hoping Leafs get who's name is Noah Hanifin. He could be a good starting point on the rebuild. Plus he's American so he can fit right in lol.

Just keep telling yourself that, for like another 49 years :w00t::rofl2:

Well I have Hope Matt as they are finally doing a proper rebuild instead of trading away the future for short term gains like they have been doing for too long.

Heck if I didn't have any hope I would cheer for the Sens too!!!!! :tease: :tease: :tease:

Well I have Hope Matt as they are finally doing a proper rebuild instead of trading away the future for short term gains like they have been doing for too long.

Heck if I didn't have any hope I would cheer for the Sens too!!!!! :tease: :tease: :tease:

The Sens are miles ahead of the laffs in team building. The laffs have no idea who, what, when or where to go and are stuck with contracts that will seal their fate for at least another 5 years.

How many "proper" rebuilds have the laffs done in the last 20 years of their 49 years of suckdome?

Good luck, you'll need it.

Oh wait, laffs have had nothing but bad luck and curses ...... :w00t::rofl2:

How many "proper" rebuilds have the laffs done in the last 20 years of their 49 years of suckdome?

None. If they take the time to do a proper rebuild then it will the first one in a very very long time.

They have changed the team many times; but these were not proper rebuilds. Rask for Raycraft, draft choices of Toskala, are not proper rebuilds.

I don't see Toronto surpassing either Buffalo or Edmonton which means no McDavid or Eichel. They will end up with either a 3rd,4th, or 5th pick which unfortunately doesn't get me excited. Hopefully the player they pick turns into a unexpected star, but I'm not too sure. Theirs a big defenseman I hoping Leafs get who's name is Noah Hanifin. He could be a good starting point on the rebuild. Plus he's American so he can fit right in lol.

It is a lottery, they don't have to finish last to get the first pick. Chicago got the first pick after finishing 25th in the league. The Leaf's are currently 26th but have the worse record in the NHL over the 25 or so games. If their slump continues they may very well drop even lower in the standings.

The worse they finish the better their chances of getting the first pick; but they win all of their remaining games, they will have a chance.

The Sens are miles ahead of the laffs in team building. The laffs have no idea who, what, when or where to go and are stuck with contracts that will seal their fate for at least another 5 years.

Yes you are correct and in the last 30 years have had no proper rebuilds.

They have been trying to buy good teams while dealing away promising draft picks and getting rid of young players before giving them a chance to mature. Seems like the new management is going a different way. And yes it will most likely be 5 years before anything fruitful becomes of the new direction.

Yes you are correct and in the last 30 years have had no proper rebuilds.

They have been trying to buy good teams while dealing away promising draft picks and getting rid of young players before giving them a chance to mature. Seems like the new management is going a different way. And yes it will most likely be 5 years before anything fruitful becomes of the new direction.

Not much has happened since 67...so what's another 5 years??

In order for a rebuild to work, the leaf organization has got to change the business philosophy. First rule has, for the past 4 decades, been about keeping the seats full. They've been very successful in that regard. Last I heard there was still a 10 year waiting list for subscriptions. That is no different than when the step father picked up his gray's in the 60's.

You create some noise, build some hype, add controversy, bring in a few big dollar names, and give the fans a false promise for another year. As long as the seats are full, fans buy gear, and the Leafs organization stays rich, there has been little need to really make serious change and contend for the cup. Why would they?

There has, first, to be a sincere desire to build a contender team. I'll believe it when i see it.

In order for a rebuild to work, the leaf organization has got to change the business philosophy. First rule has, for the past 4 decades, been about keeping the seats full. They've been very successful in that regard. Last I heard there was still a 10 year waiting list for subscriptions. That is no different than when the step father picked up his gray's in the 60's.

You create some noise, build some hype, add controversy, bring in a few big dollar names, and give the fans a false promise for another year. As long as the seats are full, fans buy gear, and the Leafs organization stays rich, there has been little need to really make serious change and contend for the cup. Why would they?

There has, first, to be a sincere desire to build a contender team. I'll believe it when i see it.

The seats are full regardless of how bad the Leafs play. Taking a few years to rebuild the team isn't going to change the fact that all seats will be sold for all regular season games.

If they make the playoffs, then they not only sell out the regular season, but the playoff games as well. The playoff games are far more profitable than regular season games because the charge more and their cost is lower.

So, it is in their financial interest to make the playoffs, and preferably for more than one round.

As usual, you missed the point. I hope you're right that a rookie can carry the leafs to a cup all by himself cause that's their only hope at the moment.

I'm not missing anything, you saying Crosby was nothing more then a 'nice addition' to the Pens?. Rookie year he's 6th in scoring with 39 goals and 63 assists, second year he tops the scoring charts with 120 points and also captures the Art Ross (youngest in history if I recall)

So can one person make a difference? I'm pretty sure Crosby proved that. Do I think there's one player that's going to help the Leafs like Syd helped the Pens? No, that's a once in a lifetime deal they got but it sure won't hurt if they pick high in the draft and get some young talent.

Edited by BillM

I'm not missing anything, you saying Crosby was nothing more then a 'nice addition' to the Pens?. Rookie year he's 6th in scoring with 39 goals and 63 assists, second year he tops the scoring charts with 120 points and also captures the Art Ross (youngest in history if I recall)

So can one person make a difference? I'm pretty sure Crosby proved that. Do I think there's one player that's going to help the Leafs like Syd helped the Pens? No, that's a once in a lifetime deal they got but it sure won't hurt if they pick high in the draft and get some young talent.

Yup, you're still missing the point but I think it's intentional. The point was (before all the twisting started) that a top draft pick put into a poor environment (such as Edmonton or Toronto) is not likely to change a franchise. Crosby absolutely changed the face of the Penguins but he was exceptional and also put into an environment where he could excel (i.e. some solid veteran leaders on the team along with some young talent). I don't think Toronto is a 'fertile' environment right now.......'nuff said.