Do fish feel pain?

Shloim

they have done studies

P3ta even paid for a study, then tried to bury it because fish do not feel pain like mammals do..and that is what the studies showed

their nervous system is not developed enough to transmit pain

they also do not experience fear,

They probably feel 'something', but it's normal for them as a survival mechanism. Imagine a walleye laying into a perch or several perch with those big sharp dorsal fins. That's gotta hurt more than a jig head. The walleye doesn't care or was designed to deal with that pain, move on and catch another meal. Their nervous system is completely different than ours so to compare a fish to human is not coherent.

Also, my dog certainly feels pain, but I've seen him smash into so many things day in day out (he's not very smart, or hard or seeing) and he walks away like nothing happened. Nature is made to withstand a lot of stress, humans by comparison are soft and weak, which is why our bodies have a low threshold for pain, which is also why we have the brain to create external protections.

my wife is the best, she loves to fish but is having moral issues with the whole thing, she's not a vegan or vegetarian or anything,

we don't even talk about hunting stuff

if you spend some time with small brained animals, it's amazing how smart and social they are

is catch and release fishing just torturing/ harassing wildlife?

good question Shloim, should be some interesting responses

I would say catching and releasing a fish causes more stress than pain

Edited by chris.brock

I have struggled with this idea in the past, i dont believe they feel pain like we do but definitely feel something. I generally oversize my equiptment for the job at hand so that im not exhausting the fish to death as well. I like to make the experiance as painless and as efficient as possible for the fish.

As fishing is far and above my favourite hobby/passion/obsession, i wont be quitting any time soon so i do the best i can.

I think this topic has come up more times than I can count since this forum started.

Honestly, I don't believe they do feel pain. They never say Ow when I catch them.

They eat Crayfish. Those are pretty hard and spiky!.

I agree with those that believe that fish don't experience the same sort of pain that humans do. They do however build up lactic acid in their system as they are fought which can lead to their death after a prolonged fight with a fisherman using too light a line for the targeted species. Land fish as quickly as possible if you practise catch and release.

If you think of it, there is no dying of old age for all but perhaps the top predators

Everybody gets eaten. Mice, rabbits deer, most fish.

Getting eaten alive ain't easy. Especially being grabbed by an osprey, taken to a tree top, and get ripped apart alive.

So when I keep a fish for the table and bonk it when it comes out of the live well. I don't feel too bad.

Have to admit I don't like using minnows. Casting those little guys thru the air with a hook in their mouths.

[quote name="captpierre" post="859522" timestamp="

Have to admit I don't like using minnows. Casting those little guys thru the air with a hook in their mouths.

Thats why i cant/dont use frogs and havent since i was a kid.

I think it's cool to hear that some of us knuckle draggers respect lesser creatures

like Gallie, I used frogs as a kid, then later when I could think for myself, didn't feel right doing that

I harvest fish and game, but I'll still try to help an injured chickadee, or take a turtle off the road and throw it in the bed of my truck and drive it to the lake

Imagine being a minnow eatin alive by a bigger fish, and slowly dying inside the stomach, with your best friend (s) all packed in there with you!

I've seen whitefish bellies stacked with minnows... As I'm sure you all have. It's a mass grave .

Scary stuff for minnows to be thinking about.!

Edited by N.A.W

There is something they definitely do not experience: the mental anguish and emotional torment that we would feel when we are in pain. We have not only the intelligence, but the learned knowledge, that pain might lead to death, but no other animal, in my opinion, understands death. Unless they have the ability to communicate complex and abstract concepts, the idea of death would be alien to them. The average fish that we catch has a brain the size of a few grains of rice, and no ability to teach each succeeding generation that there is a finality to life. I am not saying that causing suffering should rest merely on their understanding of death: a dog doesn't have the ability either, but I wouldn't condone causing one to suffer, they still have emotions. But a fish? I doubt they have any ability to feel emotions.

Now, where's my bag of Swammers? And the Chug Bug, don't forget the Chug Bug. :Gonefishing:

Meh...I dont worry about it.

Sometimes when I catch a small fissh and skip it across the water as I reel it in I wonder if I just scared the crap out of it, or if it just experienced the ride of its life. Kinda like us riding a roller coaster. Lol

S.

There is something they definitely do not experience: the mental anguish and emotional torment that we would feel when we are in pain. We have not only the intelligence, but the learned knowledge, that pain might lead to death, but no other animal, in my opinion, understands death. Unless they have the ability to communicate complex and abstract concepts, the idea of death would be alien to them. The average fish that we catch has a brain the size of a few grains of rice, and no ability to teach each succeeding generation that there is a finality to life. I am not saying that causing suffering should rest merely on their understanding of death: a dog doesn't have the ability either, but I wouldn't condone causing one to suffer, they still have emotions. But a fish? I doubt they have any ability to feel emotions.

Now, where's my bag of Swammers? And the Chug Bug, don't forget the Chug Bug. :Gonefishing:

I think you're right about fish (no conscience at all, more "instinctual" than thinking), but elephants, dolphins, whales, primates, and even pigs are a lot more sentient than you're giving them credit for.