OOS Idiots targeting bass

cityfisher

Im with porkpie. Fishing bass out of season certainly isnt hurting the population. I think the best solution is to just open the season all year. I bet 99% of them are released unharmed anyways. I really dont see the big deal. Guys fish steelhead while they're spawning, and they're one of the most elite groups of fisherman goin.

S.

That sucks. Just be absolutely sure they are targeting bass. Walleye can be found via ripping reeds, jerkbaits and jigging not just long lining like you stated. You probably are right and they are targeting bass as you know the waters better than I do. Take some notes of the boat, numbers and towing vehicle and report. Its all you can do. You start slashing tires and getting into confrontations and you could end up on the wrong side of a beating. Not worth it for a bass.

Our lake has Bass, Walleye and Muskie. After Ice out I won't fish it until bass opener. Lots of other lakes without spawning fish in it. Call me old fashioned I guess.

Spinner, oh if only I could.

Porkie, I've gotten more people interested in fishing and the environment with 'those damn things' then anything else. Kids and people with a short attention span love catching fish. Get them hooked bringing in countless bass then teach them patience with other species.

That's just silly. Your lake is stupid with fat walleye and the bite is usually red hot right about now! :)

We're getting guys at my parents cottage flipping all sorts of stuff in 6 inches to 2 feet of water. I give them a fair warning. If they don't move, I go to the dock and start tossing muskie lures towards their boat.

Musky are out of season.

I think that people are getting bent over a fish that is just about as prolific as can be. For gods sake they are big sunfish. I fish crappie and pike in shallow bays, fish pickerel and pike in waters that smallmouth frequent and catch a fair share of all species including some bass that don't happen to be in season. I don't flip docks, I don't throw tubes or senkos, but I still catch the damn things every trip out. To me bass are a species of last resort that I will only fish for if nothing else is doing. I just can't get stressed if some dude wants to target a fish that would bite a beer can with hooks. Particularly given all the northern states that have early or year round seasons and still have excellent bass fisherys. Weird!

I feel the same way about dishrags....er, walleye! :D:P

vigilante justice is never the answer but at least in Canada you can rest assure that most all of the people you confront will not pull out a pistol and shoot you. In the US there is a certain amount of courtesy that is unspoken because of our gun laws and truth be told I like it. It cuts down on people who are having a bad day making a "cause" the adrenaline spike of the day.

Art

vigilante justice is never the answer but at least in Canada you can rest assure that most all of the people you confront will not pull out a pistol and shoot you. In the US there is a certain amount of courtesy that is unspoken because of our gun laws and truth be told I like it. It cuts down on people who are having a bad day making a "cause" the adrenaline spike of the day.

Art

Art…you been drinking?

Please feel free to correct me but most of the sport fish spawn and leave their eggs to fend for themselves.?

Bass defend their bed until the fry can fend for themselves?

What these idiots don't realise is when they pull a bass off the bed bait fish /sun fish/rock bass and anything else will move in instantly and eat the eggs or fry...

This kills off a whole generation ..

Thus limiting the ability of future generations to spawn and limiting your own chances of catching a trophy bass..

Morons .

As stated in the topic tittle you guys are IDIOTS ..... :asshat:

Don.

Responsible anglers know ....

I look at it in a slightly different manner. If you held their heads under water for the same time that the "special TV hosts" hold fish out of water to garner some photos and blah, blah blah, etc, then maybe they would come to realize you're suffocating the fish. Depriving it of water to get O2 through their gills and remain in their neutral buoyant state to keep their innards in the right place. Maybe Magilla Gorilla should hold them horizontal by the jaw and see how they like it. Anyway, OOS catching and photographing seems to be an annual event and rant, something the common nitwits don't grasp.

i have read that the pan fish that eat bass fry will sit all day picking one off here and another one there till they get their fill,then they stop feeding till they are hungry again

or the female is pulled from the bed and they get their fill and they stop eating till they are hungry again but at the end of the day they do eat about the same amount of fry.. inany given lake the pan fish will get their food if not from one bed then another, so many people believe c&r at spawning time has little effect, many US states seem to prove it with year round open season on bass and they still have great bass fishing, look at all the other fish that have open season during spawn with no ill affects

so as long as the season is closed I will not fish for them, but if it opened up, I would be there fishing for them

The US has a longer spawning season and warmer water.

Canada has a very short spawn with regards to bass.

As far as the US go for it. Be happy with 1-2 pound bass ..

I like the 4-6 pounders.

Northern states love their bass but a year round open season will be their own demise.

Here in Canada just leave them be and let them do their thing.

If we put to much pressure on the fish there wont be any left or we will run into the same problem that most land locked lakes face .

Such as Nipissing and their wally problem? (no bigger than a Simcoe perch)???

Fish them to hard then who are you to complain????

(not to say Nipissing is the only lake)

Don.

Edited by saltydawg

The US has a longer spawning season and warmer water.

Canada has a very short spawn with regards to bass.

As far as the US go for it. Be happy with 1-2 pound bass ..

I like the 4-6 pounders.

Northern states love their bass but a year round open season will be their own demise.

Here in Canada just leave them be and let them do their thing.

If we put to much pressure on the fish there wont be any left or we will run into the same problem that most land locked lakes face .

Such as Nipissing and their wally problem? (no bigger than a Simcoe perch)???

Fish them to hard then who are you to complain????

(not to say Nipissing is the only lake)

Don.

Gee Don when your talking fishing and not hockey you say some intelligent things!!! :Gonefishing::clapping::tease:

Art

Wow.

Courtesy should be something that is earned, or you show out of respect, not offered "in case they have a gun".

Edited by Steve

Bass are the easiest fish to catch in or OOS. A reason why Morons fish for them.:)

nah man walleye, crappie and perch, and even pike are easier imo. I love fishing every species i can, but bass fishing teaches me way more the any other species, and those lessons carry over

Are they allowed to carry a gun in Canada when fishing??

I don't think so?

And yes bass fishing does teach you how to target kinda like hunting.

Hunting for fish???

Or hunting for deer???

Different methods/tools same goal.....

(catch and release is the only difference)

Respect that...

Don.

Edited by saltydawg

Its a shame but I guess people will do what they do. I bet there will be even more Idiots that will be voting lieberal next week though.

Who dat?????????LOL

Don

:clapping:

Caught me a large mouth and a smallie this morning.1.5 inch tubes dont know, they are for pan fish. Rules are rules here.. Dang me.

Edited by Misfish

i reguarily fish for species that would tow bass all around the lake....but for me, bass fishing isn't the "fight", but the "hunt".

With that said, successfully landing a 5lbs plus largie out of the slop or wood is not an easy task.....

Edited by Steve

Its a shame but I guess people will do what they do. I bet there will be even more Idiots that will be voting lieberal next week though.

How many degrees of separation does it take to get from OOS bass to voting Liberal----only a true campaigner will know for sure