My new water girl

spincast

Over time it had become obvious to me that I spent far more time on big water than the northern lakes. Not that I don't enjoy those -but both E and O are only 60 minutes away - and with no Toronto traffic between me and these launches its really a no brainer. I loved my Starcraft 16 foot dual console, but it meant being very selective and watchful being out a few miles - Erie especially I don't trust, and the distance you have to run to find fish is significant. So I started looking for something that would still work on the smaller lakes, but provide me a greater margin of comfort on the big water (oh, and it had to fit in the garage too). Hit the Spring Fishing and Boat show to formally launch the search. There weren't too many in my size range, and nothing with a deep V hull unless it was too big. Searched all the websites, again, not a lot, and very little that was recent and had a 4 stroke. I did find one beauty up in Barrie - but couldn't come to a reasonable price. This is how I ended up doing what I always said I would never do - buy new. I like the Starcrafts, so decided to stay there. After visiting many dealers who were not too interested in negotiating a deal, I found myself at a dealer a couple weekends ago with G. They had a 176, dual console promo special in the offsite show room. Fishfinder, 55lb trolling motor, mooring cover included. I asked for pricing with a 115 and a kicker, full stand up, and some tracks. It looked pretty good - actually it was pretty much where everyone else had been before kicker, mooring cover, fishfinder and track. So I put in an offer of $1000.00 less, expecting at this point the same response I got everywhere else. The sales guy went off to huddle, came back and stuck out his hand - Its a deal. I was kind taken off guard, but, heck what do you do now, say, - hey I was just kidding and walk away?

Two weeks later I arrive to pick up the new water toy. I am early, and they are running behind, so I sit for a couple hours before she comes out to show herself;

IMG-20140502-00109_zps7136e04b.jpg

took her out to check the power packs

IMG-20140502-00107_zpscd37bad9.jpg

The mechanic showed me the ropes, and dials, then hit the gas and in split second we were on a full plane and trimming up the motor. He looks at me "Nice". Yeah baby :D

She is a little stern heavy right now, so I gotta figure a way to get a couple hundred pounds of ballast up front. The casting deck area is huge - in fact a lot of the extra room in this boat is up front and I think that is why she sits a little low in the back. Plus the rod locker has 6 foot tubes for 12 rods (not that my great lakes rods will fit) all in the front.

Anyway, the Marina didn't have the track installed (back ordered and only arrived the day before), so my work was cut out for me. Narrow gunwales on this boat, they have built some floor-to- gunwale-height storage lockers / flotation area. Made a couple access holes for mounting and it was time to go:

Starboard side took great care and caution when drilling:

DSCF2555_zps8b3e707e.jpg

Lots of weight going up here - so support under the track for as far as my arms could reach

DSCF2556_zps78164b4c.jpg

Then, wouldn't you know, Scotty is the only maker of riggers that are not compatible with standard risers - fortunately Jos at Angling outfitters came to the rescue with some aluminum plates. McGiver time

DSCF2560_zps251a6b13.jpg

DSCF2561_zpsb5869a51.jpg

Mounted and ready:

DSCF2559_zps679c47d3.jpg

And - 4.5 hours of work, and another 3 hours of driving around later

DSCF2566_zps451cd836.jpg

Then messed with installing my fishfinder - The one that came with the boat will go up to the bow once I recharge the patience battery

So today, with winds so high I would never have gone out in the Starfire, I said lets see what this is about. Calling for winds from the NW in the 25 k range with gusts up to 50, I knew we would have to hug the shore, and just hoped they would be more west and less north - that way they bounce of the escarpment and give us a couple miles of fishable water

We arrived at the launch at 7 and dressed her up for her maiden outing

DSCF2570_zpsd05bf1b7.jpg

DSCF2571_zps1e663053.jpg

White caps and steady 2 footers were taken in stride and never a worry. The 115 put us out in no time even at half throttle and then the 20 took over. It is difficult setting up in that kind of water and after 30 minutes I was just about to set the last rod up when the port planer board, pulling a SWR with a chartreuse and black rippling redfin did the unmistakable king dance and took off. It was G's turn up and for the next 10 to 15 minutes they played a game of tug of war back and forth. This fish ran everywhere and was taking us out in progressively deeper water. We came out past the shelter of 50 point and were in some good rollers. At one pint the fish changed direction and charged forward and I had to put the 20 into WOT to stop it from overtaking us. Finally G brought the fish up along side, and as I reached to scoop, a roller came along and the fish made a run all at the same time. We watched a easy mid 20s king slipped under that water. But we were all smiles and G was thrilled. He got everything but the pic and what a way to start his year! A little while later I took a small eater Coho in the 2 - 3 lb range, and about an hour later G took a good 10 -12lb laker (no pics in the post as he was a real bleeder ) we managed to get him revived and released.

The wind settled down around 11, but the so did the fish, so at lunch time we called it a day.

A full dock on the way in

DSCF2578_zpse327ae48.jpg

cant wait to get some decent water time this year.

Thanks all. It was just amazing the difference between this boat and the old one. I figured if you're gonna buy new anyway, make it one to last a long time. My Starfire was a 2000 and still watertight and a great boat. This one will be with me for a long time I suspect.

Wow, nice Boat Rick. Congrats.

How many Terns do you think are on that dock? :lol:

Funny you should say that Joey - as I saw them I was thinking you would have been all over this shot - and with your camera and skills you would have really got a feel for the cool visual it presented. There must have been close to 100 of them, and right after this shot they all took of. My poor little point and shoot through the water covered stand-up just doesn't do the scene justice

Awesome boat for you and G. I've heard lots of good things about the Suzukis.

Thanks Rob - they are receiving really good reviews (researched lots) and are said to be giving yammies some real competition. But, it was almost 2 k more for the same yammie.

Sweet rig! Those starcrafts are the best boats out there IMO. I hear lots of ggood stuff about the suzies too! Congrats!

S.

:good: you said it !

Nice set up. How does it tow behind the Ridgeline?

Handles it really well. Doesn't push in the corners, and I still got lots of get up and go if I need it. I was really happy how she handled - even bringing her back home down the 400 on Friday. Mileage is down compared to the 16 footer of course, but I'm double the weight. 18 litres per 100 ks on the rounder to Jordan - which is all up hill on the way home.

Handles it really well. Doesn't push in the corners, and I still got lots of get up and go if I need it. I was really happy how she handled - even bringing her back home down the 400 on Friday. Mileage is down compared to the 16 footer of course, but I'm double the weight. 18 litres per 100 ks on the rounder to Jordan - which is all up hill on the way home.

Good to hear. Just wondered how it handled the extra load. I tow about 2000 lbs worth of boat with mine and nary a whimper.

Enjoy.