S. Carolina has first Cormorant hunt...11,653 less birds now!

farsider

From another site, seemed relevant.

S. Carolina had there first Cormorant hunt. In two months(Feb/March), the 1,200 hunters issued permits to hunt, managed to get 11,653 birds.

I wonder where the birds that summer here migrate from?

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/south-carolinas-first-cormorant-hunt-brings-11000-birds/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=April%209%202014%20Daily%20Newswire%20(1)&utm_content=&spMailingID=45582336&spUserID=NDQxNTMwODY2MDIS1&spJobID=421063654&spReportId=NDIxMDYzNjU0S0

Cheers,

Mark

I really can't see anyone actually eating them as food, bet they'd be more unpalatable than a Merganser :excl: I would think that they are classed as vermin, but letting them return to the ecosystem where they fall might not win points with the anti's. Migrate???, I thought the birds in southern Ontario just flocked up on Lake Ontario for the winter or so it seems to this lakeside resident :angry:

Edited by dave524

It's a start.

They do migrate and since the greatlakes mostly froze over this year any that would have normally stopped there would have had to move farther south.

Don't know about the taste, but other fishy tasting critters are eaten so lets have at it. Cormorant recipes anyone?

I'm guessing a lot of bbq sauce might be needed.

From another site, seemed relevant.

S. Carolina had there first Cormorant hunt. In two months(Feb/March), the 1,200 hunters issued permits to hunt, managed to get 11,653 birds.

I wonder where the birds that summer here migrate from?

I am hoping it's South Carolina.

I am hoping it's South Carolina.

Maybe our MNR could "partner" with our southern friends. Keep their P3ta averse noses clean, while still effecting change.

Bounty, some free shells, subsidize the program/permits, award for most birds, disposal or distribution of birds, etc.

Cheers,

Mark