Where to buy Walleye harness components

manjo39

I am looking for some components to make up my own Walleye harnesses.

I checked Bass Pro and they have some selection of clevises, beads and blades.

The colour selection and style of blades is small and am looking for more variety.

Specifically, orange, white and glo are the harder to find colours in colorado, indiana and willowlearf and interested in trying machete blades too.

I may try buying the standard silver and painting it with jig paint, but am unsure of what the result will be.

Checked Sail, JBs and Lebaron, they don't carry any components.

Last resort is online - luremaking.com is from Ontario. Hard to spend $10 on shipping for $20 worth of components.

I do my own... Usually best to keep it simple tho...

90% of the time my blades are gold... Silver... Or chartreuse in low light..

I use the changeable clevises... They're great... Never change my rig until my hook dulls...

And chartreuse beads 99% of the time... I've tried others but they don't work as well...

I find it's more important to change blade size and color then beads...

Also I only use Colorado blades....

I get everything I need at cabelas.com

Your also better off biting a lot of beads, clevises and blades in one shot... $100 would get you enough components for plenty if years to come if you recycle parts.... Then you have plenty of options to play around with..

Another tip... I use 20lb minimum... Usually 40lb flouro... Haven't seen negative effects...

Oh yeah... And you can sell a few to recoup your shipping costs...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I do my own... Usually best to keep it simple tho...

90% of the time my blades are gold... Silver... Or chartreuse in low light..

I use the changeable clevises... They're great... Never change my rig until my hook dulls...

And chartreuse beads 99% of the time... I've tried others but they don't work as well...

I find it's more important to change blade size and color then beads...

Also I only use Colorado blades....

I get everything I need at cabelas.com

Your also better off biting a lot of beads, clevises and blades in one shot... $100 would get you enough components for plenty if years to come if you recycle parts.... Then you have plenty of options to play around with..

Another tip... I use 20lb minimum... Usually 40lb flouro... Haven't seen negative effects...

Oh yeah... And you can sell a few to recoup your shipping costs...

Thanks for the tips. Do you get charged Duty from Cabela's with small orders?

Edited by manjo39

Fishing World in Hamilton had a pretty good selection last time I was in. Lots of beads and quick change clevices and a really interesting selection of higher end blades. Nothing smaller than #4 though. They sell the bigger stuff for the guys trolling Erie

Bass pro shops had a sell off barrel of XPS blades (3 pks) recently but odd colors and sizes. Think it was in front of the reel counter last time I was in there.

If your looking for solid colors pretty much luremaking.com is it. I buy my smaller sized blades from them. Basic reds, oranges, greens in size 1-3.

FYI, decent place to but bottom bouncing rigs 1/2 to 2.5 ounce is Canadian Tire. Save up some CTC money and you can get them basically for free. I change the swivel on every one I buy to a higher end

luremaking.com is your best bet. Maybe find some people to split an order with? However, I've purchased components from Angling Specialties in Vaughan as well. Their selection was minimal though.

I was just looking over a Hagens catalogue today. They have some really nice stuff. Not sure what the shipping/duty/brokerage would be [or if they even ship to Canada].

eBay is another alternative. Often you won't have to pay any duty/taxes, just some shipping.

Hard to spend $10 on shipping for $20 worth of components.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems to me $10 is a bargain.

You get to sit in the comfort of your own home and browse a catalogue on-line, pick out everything you need and it's delivered right to your front door.

If you were to drive around to the different stores looking for everything I'm sure you'd spend more than $10 in gas alone.

Or maybe it's just me :dunno:

luremaking.com is your best bet. Maybe find some people to split an order with? However, I've purchased components from Angling Specialties in Vaughan as well. Their selection was minimal though.

I was just looking over a Hagens catalogue today. They have some really nice stuff. Not sure what the shipping/duty/brokerage would be [or if they even ship to Canada].

eBay is another alternative. Often you won't have to pay any duty/taxes, just some shipping.

Hagens has a great wholesale selection, but you have to order each component in quantities of 500, as in 500 white Colorado, 500 yellow, etc....

I don't sell that kind of volume in a 2 year period

Edited by bigugli

Hagens has a great wholesale selection, but you have to order each component in quantities of 500, as in 500 white Colorado, 500 yellow, etc....

I don't sell that kind of volume in a 2 year period

Unless they've changed their policy in the last year or so I believe you can order less than minimum quantity for just 1.00 per line item and still get the (500 or whatever) minimum quantity unit price - so if 500 pieces were 10 cents each (50.00), 100 pieces would be still 10 cents = 10.00 plus 1.00 for a total of 11.00. I had gotten a couple quotes from them for stuff I used to make & sell at the market. Shipping via usps with clearance (now 9.99) thru Canada Post (CBSA?) still made it cheaper than Luremaking.com BUT quantity does dictate! I did a comparison with Luremaking and what I would have spent around 1500.00 with them would have been around 850.00 with Hagens - including exchange etc.

Michael

Unless they've changed their policy in the last year or so I believe you can order less than minimum quantity for just 1.00 per line item and still get the (500 or whatever) minimum quantity unit price - so if 500 pieces were 10 cents each (50.00), 100 pieces would be still 10 cents = 10.00 plus 1.00 for a total of 11.00. I had gotten a couple quotes from them for stuff I used to make & sell at the market. Shipping via usps with clearance (now 9.99) thru Canada Post (CBSA?) still made it cheaper than Luremaking.com BUT quantity does dictate! I did a comparison with Luremaking and what I would have spent around 1500.00 with them would have been around 850.00 with Hagens - including exchange etc.

Michael

Thanks. Missed that part of the small print before. The rep I spoke to didn't steer me straight either.

There is also a $5 surcharge on orders under $50. A 10% federal surcharge, plus our border fees and HST, unless you have a US postal box. I've been dinged real good a couple of times by Canada Customs on US shipments from other suppliers.

Been said many times but again for Canadian places luremaking.com they are super fast usually you have the order next day or two. Steve and Helen are so super nice and know their stuff they will help you get your full order ready. The website has info for making any bait you want to.

I love going to Jann's net craft in Ohio John and the other guys are always so helpful and the have so many custom coloured blades. And I can park my transport in front of their place which is awesome.

Thanks. Missed that part of the small print before. The rep I spoke to didn't steer me straight either.

There is also a $5 surcharge on orders under $50. A 10% federal surcharge, plus our border fees and HST, unless you have a US postal box. I've been dinged real good a couple of times by Canada Customs on US shipments from other suppliers.

You're very welcome. Like I said it's only good if you're buying in bulk - the cost study I did was for hundreds and hundreds of items I was making when I had the market going - practically a years worth at least. And no surcharges were applied either - exports to canada were not charged that so only postage, clearance fee and hst when it arrived (that was in fall 2012).

Michael

Luremaking.com works for me. I usually end my worm harness with a second barrel swivel to which I tie a lighter fluoro lead. It's the same principle as we use steelheading. It easier to break off a lighter terminal leader with a few hooks than lose the whole harness. I fish a really woody bottom man made flooded reservoir so hangups are a problem.

Dan O.

I am looking for some components to make up my own Walleye harnesses.

I checked Bass Pro and they have some selection of clevises, beads and blades.

The colour selection and style of blades is small and am looking for more variety.

Specifically, orange, white and glo are the harder to find colours in colorado, indiana and willowlearf and interested in trying machete blades too.

I may try buying the standard silver and painting it with jig paint, but am unsure of what the result will be.

Checked Sail, JBs and Lebaron, they don't carry any components.

Last resort is online - luremaking.com is from Ontario. Hard to spend $10 on shipping for $20 worth of components.

Sounds like we both use a lot of the same things, If you want to get together on an order let me know!

We get all our stuff from Fishing World in east Hamilton. We then trade colors after getting back. Michaels for beads. Don't forget a treble stinger.

How do you guys store them? I have seen some neat and cheap methods. Am going to try a length of foam pipe wrap and tuck the hooks under the slit.