More Bad News For Nipissing

Fish Farmer

I agree about the puzzle analogy ...

The black waterfowl has to go .

Traité rights are beyond Provincial jurisdiction .

Agriculture is a must but is extremely harmful.

Old School retirees need education .

New anglers should be offered a course.

Promoting alternate palatable species would help.

Tourism dollars are a required income .

Stocking is essential .

Added enforcement would be nice .

Show me the money .

My opinion on the majority of factors at play .

My 2¢.

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I agree about the puzzle analogy ...

The black waterfowl has to go .

Traité rights are beyond Provincial jurisdiction .

Agriculture is a must but is extremely harmful.

Old School retirees need education .

New anglers should be offered a course.

Promoting alternate palatable species would help.

Tourism dollars are a required income .

Stocking is essential .

Added enforcement would be nice .

Show me the money .

My opinion on the majority of factors at play .

My 2¢.

Understood Randy. Let me ask this. Politicians are chosen for their vision concerning many facets of society and as a collective group are entrusted to bring their individual strengths along with that vision to help serve the public good going forward. When are they going to stop speaking out their a$$es and deliver?

The sorry truth is Randy, the money you would like the governors to show you belongs to us, the taxpayer and they spent that 30+ years ago when they had golden opportunities to do so. That ship has long since sailed. There ain't no more to give, nor would I volounteer it if I had a choice. There are more important things for it to be spent on instead of retread issues.

Ask the indians if they have any of the hard earned dough that was extorted from the previous generations and thrown into the pit known as Native affairs tucked away in a sock drawer somewhere. That money alone along with proper management would have been enough to correct many wrongs and ills of an era gone by.

Edited by moxie

Canadian friends,

My friends, family and colleagues have discussed this subject and I am proud to say that, walleye or not, I would still make the trip 12 hours north. I love your home. It is my paradise. But, I am the rare one of this group. I've had people tell me "what would be the point" or "I don't care to fish for anything other than walleye."

That is unfortunate.

To me, getting to south bay is half the fun.

But others will not feel the same way. I fear what it would be like up there without tourism. I really hope the powers that be can fix it before its too late

Godspeed Neighbors.....

Edited by Steelheadphycho

I used to fish Nip regularly back in the 70`s and into the 80`s and we used to argue this same subject back then, sad nothing has changed!!! :(

And it seems it never will. Even when all is lost. Shameful indeed.

There probably are and I bet you are well versed in all the facts but I've heard the same story so many times from so many angles in this and so many other places I frankly DO NOT CARE!! How many times do we have to keep chasing that same piece of tail?

Great idea. Lets blame the birds so we don't offend anyone, then give the commercial fishers and the indian poachers a boat load of money to cull the cormorant flocks. Last time I checked cormorants don't selectively target and fly away with brood stock. Commercial fishers and indian poachers do along with everything else that swims.

Pay them off like the feds and provincial counterparts do when theres a problem with a special interest? What the hell?!?!?!

There are always mitigating factors but when the wheel stops in the same spot time and time again its either time to fix the wheel or throw it in the trash, walk away and move on.

Why do we constantly have to pick up the same damn pieces of the same damn puzzles? Bandaid after bandaid after bandaid without curing the infection or amputating the appendage, treating the symptoms and not the cause. Why do we continue to allow this to happen? Why?

Heres a fact I'd like to come to fruition. Stop writing cheques to all up there and see how fast they come running to the table to resolve any and every fact(or)(s) there might be. Seems like a sure fire way to initiate some serious dialogue instead of this "Woe is me" crap we usually hear.

Understood Randy. Let me ask this. Politicians are chosen for their vision concerning many facets of society and as a collective group are entrusted to bring their individual strengths along with that vision to help serve the public good going forward. When are they going to stop speaking out their a$$es and deliver?

The sorry truth is Randy, the money you would like the governors to show you belongs to us, the taxpayer and they spent that 30+ years ago when they had golden opportunities to do so. That ship has long since sailed. There ain't no more to give, nor would I volounteer it if I had a choice. There are more important things for it to be spent on instead of retread issues.

Ask the indians if they have any of the hard earned dough that was extorted from the previous generations and thrown into the pit known as Native affairs tucked away in a sock drawer somewhere. That money alone along with proper management would have been enough to correct many wrongs and ills of an era gone by.

Very well said Moxie. Its not the politically correct answer but its the right one.

People in the south of this province just don't have any idea of whats going on with the native issue, they think they should have the right above other "equal" CANADIANS to feed their families. Those of us up here, who see blonde hair blue eyed "natives" getting their status card and filling their freezers and/or bands selling the "food to feed their families", know where the problem is and how to fix it. Unfortunately, thats not the popular or politically correct thing to do...

Newsflash...the world HAS changed, in ways that most people DO NOT like, it has changed their way of life, but we have had to adapt or suffer the consequences. It is NOT my responsibility to keep subsidizing this "native" welfare state because they cannot adapt. Our natural resources should not be ruined for the sake of those that won't adapt and quit blaming society for things that happened hundreds of years ago.

Edited by Spanky

I was out fishing nip today for only the second time this year. Went to visit my uncle at his shack and he was saying they only caught 2 walleye all season over 46 cm . So basically walleye fishing will be a waste of time and money with this new rule. He also told me they got hundreds of walleye this season and probably released close to a hundred as well. So there's more than enough walleye to increase the limit to 4 or keep it the same. Reducing the limit to one over 46 cm is just making a mockery to all walleye anglers.

Very well said Moxie. Its not the politically correct answer but its the right one.

People in the south of this province just don't have any idea of whats going on with the native issue, they think they should have the right above other "equal" CANADIANS to feed their families. Those of us up here, who see blonde hair blue eyed "natives" getting their status card and filling their freezers and/or bands selling the "food to feed their families", know where the problem is and how to fix it. Unfortunately, thats not the popular or politically correct thing to do...

Newsflash...the world HAS changed, in ways that most people DO NOT like, it has changed their way of life, but we have had to adapt or suffer the consequences. It is NOT my responsibility to keep subsidizing this "native" welfare state because they cannot adapt. Our natural resources should not be ruined for the sake of those that won't adapt and quit blaming society for things that happened hundreds of years ago.

. I totally agree and feel the same way !!! But you know nothing will happen about it !!! And it seems cause a few people have caught good numbers of fish or their friends have they seem to think there's nothing wrong !!!! Let the native commercial fisheries re stock and pay for it all and see how fast their mindset will change !!! What a joke ..... The lake is doomed anyways ....

Our natural resources should not be ruined for the sake of those that won't adapt and quit blaming society for things that happened hundreds of years ago.

Ok.....wow. I have only been exposed to Canadian social, political and environmental history for 6 years.......but in that short time even I can see the arrogance and ignorance of that statement.

I was out fishing nip today for only the second time this year. Went to visit my uncle at his shack and he was saying they only caught 2 walleye all season over 46 cm . So basically walleye fishing will be a waste of time and money with this new rule. He also told me they got hundreds of walleye this season and probably released close to a hundred as well. So there's more than enough walleye to increase the limit to 4 or keep it the same. Reducing the limit to one over 46 cm is just making a mockery to all walleye anglers.

So you're only out there to stock the freezer? If that's the case perhaps you should consider another species...

• 2 weeks later...

Hot off the MNR "Stupid Ideas" List....

Walleye catch limit stays the same but keepers have to be over 18". I only caught 2 all winter over 18"!!!!!!!!! They are abandoning the slot size.

Anglers on Lake Nipissing will still be able to keep a maximum of two walleye next year if the Ministry of Natural Resources draft management plan is implemented as presented for public input today.But only those walleye over 46 centimetres (18 inches) can be kept in a bid to save a fishery described as "stress and at high risk of significant decline."Opening bass 1 week earlier.Recognizing the importance of the recreational fishery to the local economy, Ontario is also proposing to open the bass season one week earlier, on June 21, 2014.

When I hear someone say they are upset because they can only keep 6 Wally Burgers instead of 2 I tell them they should go shopping not fishing.

Someone said earlier that people from southern Ontario don't really understand the First Nations problem. We are in southern Ontario, about as south as one can get in Ontario, on the shoreline of Erie. Ever heard of Caledonia? My wife works there, 25 minutes from us. If that's not a problem I don't know what is. I haven't heard about any entire housing surveys up north being invaded by a band of criminals and taking over the entire 100 acre housing survey including around a dozen new homes by violence and staking claim to it. Beating an elderly couple and a TV news cameraman, stealing the camera and making off while OPP crime fighters watched. I'll stop as I'm getting a tad irate. The Native flag still flies there, on the 1 house that is left, they tore all the others down to the ground, while the OPP watched again. There I'm going to stop as now I'm getting mad.

Here we go again... I hope nipissing recovers or better regs can be put in place to in the very least, give it a chance. I find it odd that anglers care about the lake but continue to harvest its walleye??? Just seems very contradictory to me

Edited by manitoubass2

From what I have been told, Kathleens daughter is married to some native chief or councillor so don't expect any native issues solved in our favour.

I been trying to search for facts on it but can't find anything.

When I say "our" I mean recreational anglers as opposed to commercial fishers, nothing else

Edited by Dara

I guess the next time I spend a "weekend at Bernies" I,ll understand why it,s about the time together,not the fishing.

I know thats not to funny to those that live and fish the area. I just dont know enough about the Nip fishery.

But I can understand the limits (help preserve),but then again,there seems to be a fight between netters and anglers.

Thats a common argument I have read on other boards as well.

Some where,there has to be a stable fisherie.

If one side dosent want to work with the other side,then this matter will never end.

JMO Here.

Edited by Misfish

I heard she's a Russian spy. haha.

I'm ok with 2 over 18".

There was no way they were increasing the limit this year, and reducing the limit would have even been worse as far as public outcry goes. I'd rather see this '2 walleye limit' experiment through; I'm not a fisheries biologist and can't pretend to have the answers. Maybe in 4 years all the small walleye will have grown well and Nipissing will have a cycle of 'good years'.

All of the other issues...well, I don't know what'll happen.

Edited by Rod Caster