More Bad News For Nipissing

Fish Farmer

In British Columbia when they close the sockey fishery which has been happening the last two years that I know of because I was there they charge people who bye native caught fish.the wardens know where the fish are being purchased and lie in wait for the violators.Now the natives fish less because they can't sell it.Nobody likes waste even them.So let's close it a few years.Charge people buying closed season fish ,maybe the commercial harvest may go down in numbers also.Put the money collected in to the resource .After a few years maybe there might be enough fish for all.Sometimes everyone needs to sacrifice a little for the future of the walleye fishery on nippissing.

It was certainly NOT my wish to turn this thread into something whereby people point fingers at other groups. As I said, if the parties negotiate IN GOOD FAITH to see what people NEED from the lake, then maybe a common ground could be found. As I suggested, if First Nations employment is an issue (and it probably is), then what good jobs can the community find, and what opportunities can stakeholders (including three levels of government) provide for education or whatever, so the young folks working the commercial fishery can find better employment? Same for the tug owners etc, what economic drivers could be attractive enough to convince the commercial operators to hang up their nets?

Very little in my experience is ever gained by playing "he said, she said," and pointing fingers. But honest people, negotiating in good faith, can accomplish results that people can agree with and sign on to.

Just sayin'.....................

Doug

It was certainly NOT my wish to turn this thread into something whereby people point fingers at other groups.

This exact discussion comes up on a very regular basis Doug, it has nothing to do with what you said.

What is the date on that article?

We have to be careful with how our individual experiences influence what we believe to be reality.

My average size has never been better on Nipissing and has been very good for the last 5-6 years. I won't keep fish over the slot so getting walleye for the last number of years for even one feed has been a challenge.

The question as to what state the lake is in currently is important, but it is even more important to know whether or not it is improving or declining. That can't be determined from a few fishing trips every year.

If you are familiar with the body of water a few trips can indeed be a telling snap shot of how the fishery is doing. Rice lake isn't as large as Nip but being our home lake we noticed something had changed with the Walleye fishery there right away just as we noticed the rebound a couple of seasons after the 2010 slot size introduction. Nip is doomed simply because of two main factors and neither of them include honest, ethical anglers who keep a couple fish per table. As long as commercial nets and illegal the illegal Indian slaughter continues the Walleye fishery is doomed.

It pains me to see and hear of all the money we as sportsmen and women dump into the system and private associations have still have to do all the heavy lifting in an effort to keep the systems afloat instead of enhancing them. Commendable for sure but isn't there something wrong with that picture?

Edited by moxie

This exact discussion comes up on a very regular basis Doug, it has nothing to do with what you said.

We have to point fingers Lew. Whenever something happens there is always a hew and cry to find someone culpable, even if its a stretch. Fingers need to be pointed and voices need to be heard loud and clear. The guilt game doesn't work for me. Its failure of successive governmental inaction and pandering that continues to chip away at our way of life as it does theirs.

Point a finger and not just any finger. A large foam finger like the ones fans use at sporting events. It might not be deemed polite to some but who cares. Everyone knows chickens don't have the ability to point nor do they have fingers.

Edited by moxie

We have to point fingers Lew.

Yes, I'm well aware of that, I was just pointing out to a new member that the Nipissing walleye topic is one that comes up often and he wasn't starting any problems.

Shag, if you type in "Nipissing" in the search bar at the top of the page, you will find a number of past threads on this topic. We even had a member of NFN (Nipissing First Nations) who is a member here, chime in with some inside/different perspective information.

I would encourage you to have a look if for no other reason, than to gain more info/knowldge.

HH

If my machine would allow me to do a "QUOTE"...............I would.......................

But I can't..............

Thanks Headhunter. I would be VERY interested to hear the perspective from the Nipissing First Nations. From my own experience, there are at LEAST two sides to every argument, and generally more............

I'm still sorry about poking a hornet's nest..............

Doug

If my machine would allow me to do a "QUOTE"...............I would.......................

But I can't..............

Thanks Headhunter. I would be VERY interested to hear the perspective from the Nipissing First Nations. From my own experience, there are at LEAST two sides to every argument, and generally more............

I'm still sorry about poking a hornet's nest..............

Doug

Don't be sorry. It's often necessary to question as well as keep banging the drum on certain topics as our governors seem to weak and afraid to rectify the problem once and for all. It seems to be the only recourse we have at this point. Two sides to every story and then there is the truth somewhere in the middle. Its plain to see over harvesting is the main and only probable cause in this case. Commercial fishers and Indian poachers are the main culprits.

Once the stocks dwindle the commercial fishers and the Indians will whine and moan that their livelyhood/way of life is threatened and our scaredy pant governors will throw more of our hard earned money at the problem to shut them up and pat themselves on the back while running the photo op circuit.

A tad cynical perhaps? Naw. Thats the middle I was talkin' about.

Edited by moxie

Wondering about the relationship between commercial harvesting and the decline in walleye population. How long have the NFN been harvesting and when did walleye stock start dropping ? Trying to see what direct co-relation there is (hard numbers, not anecdotal for now).

Also how much effect has the cormorant population had since that seems to be exploding ? Controlling the bird population would seem like the obvious first step to see if that makes any difference.

Don't be sorry. It's often necessary to question as well as keep banging the drum on certain topics as our governors seem to weak and afraid to rectify the problem once and for all. It seems to be the only recourse we have at this point. Two sides to every story and then there is the truth somewhere in the middle. Its plain to see over harvesting is the main and only probable cause in this case. Commercial fishers and Indian poachers are the main culprits.

Once the stocks dwindle the commercial fishers and the Indians will whine and moan that their livelyhood/way of life is threatened and our scaredy pant governors will throw more of our hard earned money at the problem to shut them up and pat themselves on the back while running the photo op circuit.

A tad cynical perhaps? Naw. Thats the middle I was talkin' about.

yes i agree !!!!

Yes, Simcoe has them by the unbelievable sized flocks, Nippissing, G Bay, everywhere. A veritable eating machine and wherever they nest, the ground and trees are completely destroyed by their fecal matter. I would hate to see the annual mass in fish they consume every year.

Back to Fisherman, same story here.

Well, if Nipissing has huge flocks of cormorants, I reckon they are as bad or worse of a threat to the walleye as the commercial harvest. Until we get rid of this McWynnety LIEberal government, we will not have science-based cormorant control.

Maybe if the Nipissing First Nations decided they wanted to harvest the cormorants................ :canadian:

Doug

This topic has been addressed in earlier threads. I would encourage anyone who is interested in getting more info on this topic, do a search in General Discussion.

Just type in Nipissing while you are in General Discussion in the search field.

There are a ton of threads that will result, my tip would be to seek out the threads that have multiple pages and you will find the info you seek.

I would start on page six of the search results and then work further back.

NFN will not take steps to eliminate cormorants will be just one tid bit of info you will find.

Happy searchin!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

If you keep ignoring the facts, the situation will never be resolved to the point where the lake and its fish mass becomes profitable for everyone.

I'm really not ignoring the facts , fact is that Nipissing is in my back yard , all I'll say is that there is more than one factor at play in this matter , and that I'm very well versed in all of them.

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

if you are, why are the indians not killing off the cormorants?

this, to me, would be the most positive thing that they can contribute to our fishery.

between quinte and nipissing, the cormorant populations are out of control.

we know the indians follow their own rules, not rules set out by governments.

it would be a HUGE FREAKING STEP FORWARD if they would just take care of the situation.

they have the ability. it would be a most positive contribution to our outdoors.....and a nice change.

I'm really not ignoring the facts , fact is that Nipissing is in my back yard , all I'll say is that there is more than one factor at play in this matter , and that I'm very well versed in all of them.

There probably are and I bet you are well versed in all the facts but I've heard the same story so many times from so many angles in this and so many other places I frankly DO NOT CARE!! How many times do we have to keep chasing that same piece of tail?

Great idea. Lets blame the birds so we don't offend anyone, then give the commercial fishers and the indian poachers a boat load of money to cull the cormorant flocks. Last time I checked cormorants don't selectively target and fly away with brood stock. Commercial fishers and indian poachers do along with everything else that swims.

Pay them off like the feds and provincial counterparts do when theres a problem with a special interest? What the hell?!?!?!

There are always mitigating factors but when the wheel stops in the same spot time and time again its either time to fix the wheel or throw it in the trash, walk away and move on.

Why do we constantly have to pick up the same damn pieces of the same damn puzzles? Bandaid after bandaid after bandaid without curing the infection or amputating the appendage, treating the symptoms and not the cause. Why do we continue to allow this to happen? Why?

Heres a fact I'd like to come to fruition. Stop writing cheques to all up there and see how fast they come running to the table to resolve any and every fact(or)(s) there might be. Seems like a sure fire way to initiate some serious dialogue instead of this "Woe is me" crap we usually hear.

Edited by moxie

OH yeah……the conservatives love science, and never try to silence the scientific community.

Science. You have 5 fish in a pond and take 5 fish out. How many fish do you have left? hmmmm. Wait a minute, thats mathematics.

hehehe. Someone nailed it with the, "The only good politician is a d_ _d politician" motto. Lump them in with lawyers. Sick of the whole lot of them and the nothingness they provide us with every day.

Edited by moxie