Monster Trout trouble

HTHM

I guess when I think the term "book" I envision a much thicker book than $300....he's getting a brochure thrown at him maybe...perhaps I don't grasp the allure of holding the tip up record lol, all tackle yes, tip up not so much

in terms of serious poaching charges, I just don't see his serious wrongful intentions....buddy fessed up to it, didn't try to hide anything, didn't make excuses...he got called on a mistake and owned up to it...that says something about his character in my books

he just should have known the regs a bit better but because of the "record" potential he's going to catch more crap for it

Edited by bare foot wader

You wouldn't keep that fish knowing it shattered a world record?

That depends on a few things Bill. Fishing for Brookies about a decade ago, my buddy hooks into a behemoth Lake Trout on 6 lb. test and an ultra light. 45 minutes later I net a 34 lb. (on a spring scale) Laker for him. Couple of pics and back it goes. I discussed the possibility of it being a line class record with him as neither of us knew what the 6 lb. test record was. But surely it had to be close. Turns out he smashed the record by 6 or 7 lbs (at the time). I forget exactly. When I told him, he just shrugged his shoulders and said that he still wouldn't have killed it just to get his name in a book. I can say for sure that had it been me, I wouldn't have killed it either.

"I'd cut the old guy some slack. I would hope the MNR would have better things to do." Mike Borger

Somehow I don't believe the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters / Ontario Out of Doors share this view. As a contributor to OOD magazine, I expect better from you. Why bother having MNR regulations if they're going to be ignored?

"I'd cut the old guy some slack. I would hope the MNR would have better things to do." Mike Borger

Somehow I don't believe the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters / Ontario Out of Doors share this view. As a contributor to OOD magazine, I expect better from you. Why bother having MNR regulations if they're going to be ignored?

Why would you think you've got any idea what the OFAH/OOD position is on this? This guy got a record fish, got all excited and didn't use his head. If you think he was out there 'poaching' on purpose, you've obviously never caught anything to get excited about...

Edited by BillM

Some people are so quick to pounce. So because I'm affiliated with OOD and OFAH I'm not entitled to an opinion? And I wouldn't assume anything regarding the views of the aforementioned organizations.

Nobody can ever say I don't speak my mind, and that won't be changing anytime soon. If I've offended your sensibilities perhaps you need to broaden your viewpoint?

I personally respect everyone's view whether I agree with it or not.

My opinion is the MNR is using the notoriety of said catch to make a point with the public.

Being so grossly undermanned and underfunded, YES I do believe they could be doing better things with their time and our tax dollars.

But as I said everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Edited by Mike Borger

I think its a tricky situation for all parties involved. Best thing to do would be to administer his warning or punishment quickly before it drags on into some big production. I feel for the guy but i have witnessed so many poaching related offences both intended and otherwise( and lots in my own backyard when people come in for some spring bass on my canal) that i have to think he gets something. It would set a bad example if they dont.

Edited by Gallie

My opinion is the MNR is using the notoriety of said catch to make a point with the public.

Being so grossly undermanned and underfunded, YES I do believe they could be doing better things with their time and our tax dollars.

But as I said everyone's entitled to an opinion.

So you believe that a CO, under normal circumstances, would have overlooked a situation such as this? I personally doubt it.

I see him being fined accordingly, as he should, but to jump on the guy and treat him as a ruthless poacher is a little ridiculous. Who here wouldn't blow their top seeing a fish like that come out from under the ice. Many people also see skin mounts as the only true way to mount a trophy...

There is only 3 ways I'm killing a fish, 1) it's an invasive species, 2) I'm hungry, and want fish for dinner and 3) it's an all tackle world record. Line class, tip up record, bamboo stick and string record? Couldn't be bothered! A stuffed fish on my wall has never been my thing. I can't say I'm for stringing this guy up by his feet though. Sure, he has done wrong, give him the ticket and call it a day!

The bottom line is still the same no matter what everyone's opinion is !!!! He broke the law knowingly and admitted it and got caught !!!! How is this black or white ??? World record or not the facts remain the same !!! He should not get the record and should be fined accordingly and that's the way it Is !!!!

"Why would you think you've got any idea what the OFAH/OOD position is on this"

BillM

From the OFAH's official website:

At all levels of government, the OFAH is recognized as a highly professional and "devastatingly effective" advocate for Ontario's natural resources and the rights and traditions of anglers and hunters. OFAH leadership on issues such as invasive species, anti poaching, fisheries restoration, firearms issues and hunter education, are admired and often sought-after internationally by other organizations.

"if you think he was out there 'poaching' on purpose, you've obviously never caught anything to get excited about ..."

Your views on intentional and unintentional poaching make no sense.

Did he intend or expect to catch a world record laketrout? No. Was he justified in breaking the law? No. He rationalized it was OK and figured he wouldn't get caught.

Defending your friend is admirable. Excusing or justifying poaching is not.

"Why would you think you've got any idea what the OFAH/OOD position is on this"

BillM

From the OFAH's official website:

At all levels of government, the OFAH is recognized as a highly professional and "devastatingly effective" advocate for Ontario's natural resources and the rights and traditions of anglers and hunters. OFAH leadership on issues such as invasive species, anti poaching, fisheries restoration, firearms issues and hunter education, are admired and often sought-after internationally by other organizations.

"if you think he was out there 'poaching' on purpose, you've obviously never caught anything to get excited about ..."

Your views on intentional and unintentional poaching make no sense.

Did he intend or expect to catch a world record laketrout? No. Was he justified in breaking the law? No. He rationalized it was OK and figured he wouldn't get caught.

Defending your friend is admirable. Excusing or justifying poaching is not.

If this was the old west you'd be a hangin' judge.