What's the craziest bait you've ever used to fish with?

Old Ironmaker

Afraid to ask,

I don't think even P3TA considers a deceased laden rat an animal, no I think they do. I wonder if snapping them slightly in half with a loaded spring leaving them to die slowly would be considered cruelty? I've never heard P3TA even complain about that. Poor Mickey. I imagine they would be great in the weeds for Bass, Pike and Musky. If only I could catch one, my cat sure can't.

That was a different time and an age gone by. Remember my 3 categories of animal??? a} work animals, b} vermin, c} food.

Vermin need exterminating, but if you can put them to work to catch fish as food, you've covered all 3 classes. Fish were food to be harvested back then, not play things.

When we were kids mom and dad used to take us fishing for Trout in Flin Flon, Manitoba when we lived there, and our bait was a can of kernel corn. A couple kernels on a hook and it was fish on.

Also, one time at Paul's parent's cottage, there were big snakes down by the dock. I picked one up by the tail and it kept wriggling around and around and then the tip of the tail broke off in my hand. It continued to move (the broken off part) so I put it on a hook for Bass!!

That was a different time and an age gone by. Remember my 3 categories of animal??? a} work animals, b} vermin, c} food.

Vermin need exterminating, but if you can put them to work to catch fish as food, you've covered all 3 classes. Fish were food to be harvested back then, not play things.

Yes the 3 classes of animal. So as vermin mice should be legal to use as bait. Not squirrels, ducks, kittens, puppies or Hedgehogs.

Snake tails still moving for Bass, please lady say it isn't so. So far that's the winner.

Yes the 3 classes of animal. So as vermin mice should be legal to use as bait. Not squirrels, ducks, kittens, puppies or Hedgehogs.

Snake tails still moving for Bass, please lady say it isn't so. So far that's the winner.

It is so. Saw opportunity knocking :w00t:

Ice fishing on Simcoe when I was a kid and the schools of herring would move in. There was no time to put another minnow on, so my dad's friend said - his hut, his rules I guess. We would just grab a piece of the styrofoam from the walls and put that on the hook. We caught a ton of them that day using that trick.

Tin Foil from a pk of smokes wrapped on a single hook with a sinker....Waiting at boat launch for a friend on a River the water was moving at a good pace, casted out left it in the current. BAM..reeled in a nice little hammer handle. First and last time I ever tried that.

I once hooked a pike by the tail and it caught a bunch of panfish for me!

Kidding.

We used red yarn and no hooks to catch a few small bullheads (barbotte) when I was younger. Apparently the old guys on that small lake preferred that method. The bullheads would stay clamped on until you dipped their tail into a buck of water. Dumb fish I guess.

I once hooked a pike by the tail and it caught a bunch of panfish for me!

Kidding.

We used red yarn and no hooks to catch a few small bullheads (barbotte) when I was younger. Apparently the old guys on that small lake preferred that method. The bullheads would stay clamped on until you dipped their tail into a buck of water. Dumb fish I guess.

Yes hookless yarn for Gar too. A really dumb fish would swallow something pointed and sharp made of metal.

my cousin and I were at our grandparents cottage wayyyy back in the early 80's. one day we ran out of worms. so we decided to try grasshoppers until our parents got back from town. got one each put em on dropped straight down at the end of the dock and we got a double header. couple nice largemouth 4+lbs.was an awesome day ill never forget it.

As a teenager we would walk out on the booms that held the logs in place across the Spanish river. One day we were fishing a large field if sunken logs that didn't make it to the mill. We would catch pike on every cast. I bet my buddy that I could catch a pike on the cigar he was smoking. I won.

muddler

I once caught a bass out of a boat with a TILLER!!! LOL

When I was a kid we used to fish the tiny blue line creeks for specks. When we ran out of worms, we'd sit at the little pools that were covered with the white foam and wriggle your finger in it. The little specks would grabat your finger and we'd try to catch them. haha I can't remember ever being successful but I can remember when a 10" speck would nail our fingers and scare the living daylights out of us!

Not a weird bait story, but.. I was wading in a reeded area for bass one night on a small private lake and saw a nice largie inhale a dragon fly off the surface. I cast over to the spot and nailed the largie. Reeled it in and the dragon fly was in full form alive in the bass' mouth. Released the bass and the dragon fly managed to still fly, although a bit tattered.

Top water bass style for browns on lake O when they shy away from other baits was pretty cool.

I've heard (old wives tales probably) that you can catch gar with women's panty hose.

I have a buddy too who loves to tell me how eh accidentally hooked a laker through the dorsal. Not strange bait but I had never heard of that before.

Yes, you can catch gar, and many other species, with panty hose. However, it is not the most comfortable thing to be wearing in mid July. :whistling: