Olympics

mattybculp

its hard for me to walk at 40 some days after 7 - 10 years doing competitive moguls (way back in my HS years and a bit beyond) and snowboarding since it started and competing in the parks and 1/2pipe since then (yeah I'm that old on the hills but still playing in the 1/2 pipe all the time when I get out). But, it's "for the love of the game" and my events to watch are hockey, all snowboard events, moguls with the odd speed skating event as that is just pure power in my eyes.

It's too bad the pipe was garbage. Extremely rutted, getting smaller by the hour because of melt pretty much spring conditions. If it was perfect we would have seen some better riding. Danny Davis and his switch methods are unreal.. So smooth and stylish.

Hard to pick for me. Most of the stuff I love to watch I only watch once every 4 years. All the different types of cross country skiing, biathlon, downhill, ski jumping, bobsleigh, luge, long track, short track. Not a big fan of most of the x-games type stuff but I think the ski-cross and snowboard cross are some of the most exciting sports to watch.

Are you watching it ? and if so what events are your favorites? Man I don't know how some of those moguls skiers knees can hold up, I bet its gunna be hard for them to walk when they are 60.

60? Like GBW said 40 for sure maybe sooner.

I'm proud when we earn a metal, but I couldn't name you 1 person next month that did let alone 4 years ago. Down hill, ski jumping and all these X games ski and snowboard flying nuts are sure fun to watch. The speed skating team relays are a blast.

I really haven't been into any of the events summer or winter where millionaire professionals take away the dream of an amateur of ever participating in the Olympics. Next summer games the likes of Tiger Woods will be participating, not fair.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

60? Like GBW said 40 for sure maybe sooner.

I really haven't been into any of the events summer or winter where millionaire professionals take away the dream of an amateur of ever participating in the Olympics. Next summer games the likes of Tiger Woods will be participating, not fair.

My knees and ankles are so bad I cannot sneak up on a deaf person due to the impact they took from jumps and everything else related. But I can walk and still have fun doing those things as long as I look after my general health I can keep up with the 'kids'.

As for the Summer when Tiger and crew 'may' be able to attend. I'm game for that. Why eliminate the best in the world from getting a medal for being the best in the world at what they do? We do let NHL players in the winter games so why not the others? Just my 0.002 on that part (yes I know there is an extra 0 there).

I love Olympic hockey, no ifs about it. Player names don't matter much because these men and women are playing all out for their homelands. Also love watching speed skating, ski jumping, skeleton and bobsled.

I have not had the pleasure to experience high end competitive sport like GBW. Some people I know have. One girlfriend was qualifying for Skate Canada back in the late 70's, a bad fall doing a jump ruined hip and knee. My dentist was a marathon runner, running Boston a few times. Knees shot before 50, now contents himself with walking a few k each day.

I did clerical at the Ortho clinic at TGH when Podborski was receiving treatment for some of his skiing injuries. Would hate to think what condition some of his joints are in now, Some of what he had undergone was radically new and experimental back then.

One sport I do not understand at all is the 2 person luge, really? It has nothing to do with 2 guys laying on each other, it could be coed, mixed, whatever, I think its goofy having one person, lay on the other going down to the track and the 2nd person cant even grab the starting handles for takeoff at the start......I cant believe it took all the extra promotion to get female ski jumping in the olympics but yet they keep 2 person luge....things should get more exciting with the hockey ramping up though

Besides hockey, i would have to say some other top 3 favorites would have to be and in no particular order Skeleton, Boardercross and now after watching it this past weekend slopestyle

I really enjoyed the slopestyle, such a cool event, more entertaining than half pipe IMO. All of the guys who won medals were super young too. All born in 93 if I remember right. Disappointed to hear that McMorris was trash talking the judge's on twitter before the finals...even if his run should have been scored better.

It's too bad the pipe was garbage. eExtremely rutted, getting smaller by the hour because of melt pretty much spring conditions. If it was perfect we would have seen some better riding. Danny Davis and his switch methods are unreal.. So smooth and stylish.

I agree completely. The condition of that pipe was embarrassing. It put the riders in a position where they needed to throw down the best tricks of their careers on some of the worst conditions, just asking for injuries. Have you ever seen an event with this many falls from top guys!!!! Edited by B_Dan

Class act too when the Canadian coach gave a ski to the Russian when he broke his.

Another one to mention is the Canadian speedskater giving up his spot to a fellow team mate who didn't qualify, just because he knew he'd have a better chance at at a medal. And he brought home silver! Stuff like this makes me proud to be Canadian.

Class act too when the Canadian coach gave a ski to the Russian when he broke his.

Completely agree Lew! Also when our speed skater gave up his spot in the 1000m race so Denny Morrison could skate...saying that if he hadn't caught an edge in qualifying that he'd be there anyways. Morrison went on to win silver. Talk about sportsmanship and taking one for the team!

I love the winter olympics....enjoy them much more than the summer games. I don't watch most of the events every winter...but a lot of them take me back to watching Wide World of Sports back in the 70's and 80's with my dad on a Saturday afternoon.

Very proud of all our athletes!!

And then there's Patrick Chan. The guy tanks on his short program and puts the team in a hole. And instead of trying to win it back he quits the team event so he can "focus on the individual skating portion of the games" (his words). That to me was pretty un-Canadian, I hope the guy tanks and Kevin Reynolds gets a medal.

Reynolds knocked it out of the park when he had to step up after Chan quit the team. And that is the Canadian way to do it.

I think it would be easier to list the sports I like the least. Figure Skating.. That's pretty much to the only sport I don't like to watch. The rest is all awesome. I am an avid outdoors man, and endurance athlete, so just to watch these people, and know what they have and are putting them selves through is amazing to me.

My knees and ankles are so bad I cannot sneak up on a deaf person due to the impact they took from jumps and everything else related. But I can walk and still have fun doing those things as long as I look after my general health I can keep up with the 'kids'.

As for the Summer when Tiger and crew 'may' be able to attend. I'm game for that. Why eliminate the best in the world from getting a medal for being the best in the world at what they do? We do let NHL players in the winter games so why not the others? Just my 0.002 on that part (yes I know there is an extra 0 there).

The reason I don't agree with pro's participating it's supposed to be a competition for amateur athletes. I agree the tops in any field are not really amateurs anylonger, even back in the old days the communist country fielded professionals.

Ben Johnson drove around in a Ferrari before he had the world record for the 100. But that's the way it is and has been for years, I just don't like it because a real amateur will never have the chance to compete for a metal because Tiger Woods took his spot.

Remember Bob Iruzionni (sic) and the miracle on ice? That can never happen today. Real amateurs winning Gold.