Where to retire to - Kawarthas or Muskoka?

fisherman7

I have a lot of respect for the opinion of the members of this board.

My wife and I are about 2 years away from our dream of retiring to a waterfront property but we can't decide between either the Chemong/Buckhorn lakes chain or Sparrow Lake/Port Severn/Honey Harbour area.

Chemong/Buckhorn has great affordable waterfront communities and easy access to the 401 but I'm a little concerned about the blue/green algae in Pigeon and maybe will get to Chemong and Buckhorn.

Sparrow Lake/Port Severn/Honey Harbour - I like the area, it has great fishing but the homes are more expensive and access to the GTA is on the very busy hwy 400.

So, opinions anyone? If the blue/green algae wasn't an issue I'd head for Chemong or Buckhorn.

Thanks in advance.

Kawarthas all the way! Moskoka is full of city riff raff. Kawarthas have some too, but still mostly good country folks here.

The algae is nothing to worry about. Dont let that scare you away. Never heard of it on chemong or buckhorn anyways.

You'll get more value for your money in the kawarthas too. I cant believe the prices of homes/cottages in muskoka. You could get a home with 100 acres here for the price of a dive in muskoka. Muskoka is catered to the city slickers.

S.

I'm retired and live about 10 miles east of Chemong at Clear Lake and would highly recommend this area to anyone. I don't fish the tri-lakes nearly as much as I used to but always enjoy them when I do. I don't find the algae to be a problem at all and wouldn't be the least bit concerned about it, but that's just my opinion.

You'll be close to Peterboro and they have most things anybody could want.

And if you settle in Buckhorn, Cody Inn has about the best Chinese food around :lol:

Years back my parents owned a few building lots on the shores of Buckhorn Lake and as a teen spent a lot of time in and around that region fishing the tri lakes. Absolutely loved it. Surrounded by water and just about everyone you came across was friendly and helpful. Fantastic area to wind down and enjoy the sunset of your years.

Kawarthas all the way.

Edited by moxie

I'd start looking at the properties first. You've narrowed down your regions enough IMO to start to check some places out. I think once you start comparing all the factors like price, property lines, population density, accessibility, building regulations, waterfront regulations, elevation, water source etc.. that will likely make you decide where to focus on more. Although, personally I'd have a hard time narrowing it down as much as you already have. There are far too many nice lakes to consider! Especially around Haliburton, Bancroft/Maynooth, and the Rideau Lakes.

There's a lot of appeal to the Kawarthas, but I wouldn't overlook the Muskokas. Although, Muskokas has a reputation for being more expensive and full of us "city slickers" [or is it citidiots?], I bet there are some really nice hidden gems to be found.

I am not sure what to think about the blue-green algae blooms that have occurred in the past couple of years. It's generally a natural phenomenon in these eutrophic lakes when the weather gets really hot [and in still water]. However, if it becomes a stigma it may affect your property value [or you can get a real bargain!]. Is it something to worry about, I don't know. I suppose that depends on the future weather.

Sparrow Lake/Port Severn/Honey Harbour

..is not Muskoka, just to help you in your MLS search.

Before you make the leap in either direction, be sure to check the MPAC assessment and mill rate of the township it's in... you may get sticker shocked on yearly taxes eating a large hole in your funds.

..is not Muskoka, just to help you in your MLS search. Before you make the leap in either direction, be sure to check the MPAC assessment and mill rate of the township it's in... you may get sticker shocked on yearly taxes eating a large hole in your funds.

That's why I like the Kawartha's Wayne. Our little place in Bobcaygeon is on town sewer and water with a 70 X 180 lot. We just got our 2014 taxes....$1208 for the whole year.

That's why I like the Kawartha's Wayne. Our little place in Bobcaygeon is on town sewer and water with a 70 X 180 lot. We just got our 2014 taxes....$1208 for the whole year.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

MPAC will fix that in a hurry.

Mine is double yours on Nipissing, NO services either.

Consider

1. Proximity to hospital

2. Shopping. Banking. Beer store. Gas. Home Depot. Costco.

3. Species of fish you target.

4. Proximity to social/community stuff.

5. Boating opportunities. ie. Trent System. vs landlocked lake

6. BLACKFLIES. -way less in Kawarthas

7. Granite vs limestone. Stoney Lake/Lower Buckhorn/Northeast Pigeon/Big Bald- could be Muskoka.

8. Proximity to neighbours

9. Boat traffic

10. Stable water levels. Can't beat the Trent. (till Thanksgiving)

We chose North east Pigeon for all the above reasons with some compromise.

I need walleye and muskie.

When friends in Muskoka/Haliburton are slaughtered by blackfies in May/June I just smile

Just sayin

Good luck with your decision

In Pidgeon and Sturgeon near Bobcaygeon anyway the algae has been real bad the last 2 summers. By mid summer I will not go swimming at the public beach because it is so gross. If swimming is something that is real important to you I would not be looking at either of these lakes. I can't comment on the rest of the Kawartha's as I have no firsthand knowledge of the algae concerns/problems there.

What services do you want/want to pay for? Our cottage is on Georgian Bay and we have town water, sewers, cable tv, etc. While these are convienient they separate the bill for water and sewer from your yearly taxes. It is an additional $2000 a year. Oh and there are no water metres so eventhough we only use the place on weekends currently, we pay the same as full timers!!

Yup, the municapal offices in cottage areas get pretty creative on ways to empty your pockets!

If your in good health I would look at places a little more remote to get the best bang for your buck and probably better fishing!

Edited by Renegade67