Reels and line capacities.

Roy

Just throwing this out there for answers or opinions.

Why do some reels have what seems to me as such large line capacities? I know that you can use cheaper backings etc... but why would you ever need almost 1,000' of line on a reel? You'd think that freshwater reels would never need more than 300'- 400' maximum.

I'm interested in what your opinions are. Thanks.

1,000' of line?

that's not very much, lol.

with trolling you can have 300' - 400' (in some cases 600' of line out) prior to the fish hitting.

then a good king, in may/june, will run ya 500' to 600' more feet...quite easily.

tekota 800 sized reels aren't even considered big anymore.

folks are bringing in salt water reels for five 500' and 600' sections of copper.

these reels would likely hold 4000' of braid.

casting performance and overall weight are probably the 2 biggest features that go into a spool design for all sized spinning reels. A wider diameter spool is one but not the most important feature in maximizing casting distance. If they can deepen the spool and reduce weight, it also shows as a better spec on the side of the box nowadays. The other item that goes into spool design is drag force. In species specific reels larger drag washer for higher pound drag force require a bigger/deeper spool to get the bigger wider drag washer systems.

Since I've gotten into carp fishing you see these design function much more prevalent in the long distance casting/pit reels. Big 8000 and 10000 sized reels with comparatively shallow spools vs the same sized saltwater models. I use 6000 sized reels that have tremendous line capacity and I probably average less than 40 yard casts.

I've had carp empty nearly all of 300 yards of my reel...

Also... If you get an accidental catch that's larger or stronger then your targeted species it's nice to have extra line...

this so much.....fishing carp accidently hook a 200+ lb sturgeon......has not happened to me, but i've heard stories

1,000' of line?

that's not very much, lol.

with trolling you can have 300' - 400' (in some cases 600' of line out) prior to the fish hitting.

then a good king, in may/june, will run ya 500' to 600' more feet...quite easily.

tekota 800 sized reels aren't even considered big anymore.

folks are bringing in salt water reels for five 500' and 600' sections of copper.

these reels would likely hold 4000' of braid.

right on the money steve !!!! those big silver kings really scream.....

I had a salmon spool my 100yds of mono on a river a few years back.Only happened once,he was headed south and I had no chance with the drag,and my rod was ready to snap at any time ,a couple times.Always heard of that ,but until you witness it,what a helpless feeling.People watching and saying he's going,going gone. :( .

Been spooled a few times off the piers for kings a few times actually. 300 YARDS of mono....zzzzzzzzzzz.....ping. Gone.

For normal fishing though, I bulk my spools with cheap mono, and put 100ft of braid over top. I can tell how far back my lures are trolling that way as well, just by looking at how much mono is showing thru the braid ;)

S.

S.

I remember the first and only time I was spooled.. with a bass size baitcaster and 30lb braid, off a pier. Not much you can do with that and a big king on the run.

I upgraded to a med/heavy flipping stick, bigger baitcaster and 50lb braid and can horse in a fresh 25+lber pretty smoothly.

I also use a med 10.5ft spinning combo but prefer the bigger stick if wind permits decent casting with the heavier baitcaster.

I can see how a big king could take over 1000' pier fishing and have seen a few spoolings out there.

I use reels that have deep spools for any time I am casting deadbaits for large catfish. I set my spread out 60-90 ft from the boat in a fan configuration and set the reels on light drag for the pick up. I also use them when surfcasting from the beach for saltwater fish. On a good cast you can put out 80 to 100 yards and then have to turn a fish back to the beach quickly unless you are using a deep spool.

Art

Charters and private Salmon boats with multiple lines out can see over 1000 feet of line out with different set ups. Dispy's, lead core. copper etc.

That is how they catch Chinny's on the Great Lakes. A Tyee can take out over 1500 feet of line.

Then it dies and you reel it in.

:)

Edited by GbayGiant

Sadly, I've only once been close to being spooled. The time in question I had a pink on while fly fishing the chuck near Campbell River and a seal grabbed it. Talk about screaming reels. Near the bottom of the reel I just stopped the reel from turning and the seal let go! Some sturgeon likely would have spooled me if not for going after them with a canoe. I got fish the big lake Ontario more it seems.

To some degree you can avoid heavy lines if you take care of your line and change it at least once a year.

Just throwing this out there for answers or opinions.

Why do some reels have what seems to me as such large line capacities? I know that you can use cheaper backings etc... but why would you ever need almost 1,000' of line on a reel? You'd think that freshwater reels would never need more than 300'- 400' maximum.

I'm interested in what your opinions are. Thanks.

Trolling the big water aside with levelwinds or casting for salmon in the harbours which I don't think you had in mind when you asked the question, there is absolutely zero need for such deep spools when fishing freshwater. Many reels do have what they call braid spools now, but many still don't and it's definitely one of my pet peeves.

I've had carp empty nearly all of 300 yards of my reel...

I find that almost incomprehensible LOL! In 35 years of steelheading landing countless large powerful fish that's never happened to me. The "working" line on my centerpin reels is never more than 100yds.

I find that almost incomprehensible LOL! In 35 years of steelheading landing countless large powerful fish that's never happened to me. The "working" line on my centerpin reels is never more than 100yds.

Most guys that have caught big carp in the st lawrence river have experienced this.... This is why people travel from all over the world to fish carp where I do...

Keep in mind I'm talking 30-40lb carp built to swim in heavy current their entire life on basically a size 4 or 6 octopus hook... If you horse em you straighten your hook.... Or rip it out of their mouth... So you have to play em out.... I've had to literally jump in the river before and walk down river chasing big fish...lol

It has only happened a few times... And it's easy to see if you think of a 30 pounder in 5mph current and your stuck on shore...and if I hook a 40-50 pounder (there are some that big here) I'll have the extra line to battle em....

My answer to Roys question is somewhat different then the rest, with long line trolling which is common on the Larry, with 150 to 180 feet of 100 pound braid out on a 600 Tecota, you can and will be half or more of the spool empty. The drag if you get a rip will act much differently with half or more of the spool empty then if you had or were using a 800 tecota with the same amount of line out and pound test, should you get a rip, as there is much more line left on the spool of the 800 then the 600, and the drag on the 800 will be more reliable, and smooth, and less jerky on the 800 if a rip occurs.