I like it,electric augar

misfish

Oh I also came up with a plan on how to keep the drill and the batteries warm in the cold weather. I have an old insulated lunch bag. I,ll keep everything in it along with a coupld of hot hand packs. That should keep them toasty warm for the day.

That's what I was thinking Cliff,2" makes a big difference.lol. :tease:

It sure does in lots of things LOL. In this case though an 8" auger removes 3 times as much ice as a 6" auger by volume so it is reasonable to figure three times as much power is consumed.

With the apparent demand you could start making these and own your own company in no time! Just a thought!!!!! :whistling:

You want to be my banker/dragon Cliff? LOL

Im looking at $200,000 to get started. :canadian:

I,ll give you 15.5 percent of the profits,after I make my first $1,000,000 :tease:

Edited by Misfish

It sure does in lots of things LOL. In this case though an 8" auger removes 3 times as much ice as a 6" auger by volume so it is reasonable to figure three times as much power is consumed.

Wouldn't it be more like 1.8 times based on the area being Pie * radius squared? This would give a ratio of 16:9

Granted, that is still quite a bit more ice for a slightly larger hole.

Edited by JohnBacon

I'm still waiting for the day where an electric drill on a hand auger really makes any sense and saves any time or energy. Cause when that day comes I will be 1st in line to buy one.

Edit to add. Not meaning to Hijack your post Brian. It looks like you did an awesome job on the adaptor. I always enjoy posts where someone shows some of there McGyverism. My frustration with the electric drill option is based solely with the limited number of holes you can drill before your battery is dead. Some days running and gunning for perch/crappie I cut lots of holes and one battery would not last the full day and I don't want the extra weight of taking 2 batteries as I am a walker. If the batteries get to the point where they would last a full day....I'll be a very happy camper.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I,m not making or selling guys. Im sorry.

This is my second day making these and not eating my lunch. :w00t:

No lunch !...Lord tunderin' me son...

You are going to fades away to a ton...

Hey that rhymed...you didn't know I was a poet eh?

Edited by Beans

Steve,I walk as well and didnt take your post as negative.. Like I posted earlier,,I take both packs and keep them in an insulated lunch bag. As for weight,my H20 sled pulls with ease. I have my hub,back pack,finder,augar,lunch bag and rods. Oh and my heater. Very small one.

As for holes,I figured I drilled 30 holes yesterday. One pack was done.Traded up. Today I cut another 20 with the second one. Didnt need to drill anymore,as I found the fish.LOL The packs are old,so they dont hold the charge as well anymore. The one Terry used yesterday,it was still full of power when we were done. He has a big drill and battery packs,but drilled just as many holes.

you didn't know I was a poet eh?

Always knew you were a cool cat.LOL

Edited by Misfish

Nicely done sir! A right bang-up job.

And Brian, I'll add my name to the list if the situation changes and you feel like making some more. Prepaid for the long handled version, so you don't have to outlay for materials.

Cheers,

Mark

Two days ago my friend fried his new (34 day old) 20v dewalt drill with the 6" auger. Just barely past the warranty from the depot.

The drill was used just a couple times and was new, started smoking after a few holes and stopped working. There was no need to push on the drill and there was no misuse. I own tons of dewalt tools in 12v, 18v and 20v. And i have never had problems with them, which is why i buy them. However i have not used them in -20C temps to drill holes in ice before. Clearly that is not what are intended for.

Your buddy was likely drilling straight through the ice without lifting it a few times to clear the ice and slush which puts a heck of a lot more strain on whatever motor and gears are turning the auger, even gas units.

There has been a few times where I was in a pinch and used 18 volt drills with a mixing paddle to mix 5 gallon buckets of concrete, grout, or thinset without burning up the motors and they sure aren't meant to be used for mixing such materials. Cold has no effect on anything in the drill except for the batteries and the cold air would help keep the motor cooler.

If you're going to buy a cordless for this purpose, I say go with Ridgid for their lifetime warranty.

Your buddy was likely drilling straight through the ice without lifting it a few times to clear the ice and slush which puts a heck of a lot more strain on whatever motor and gears are turning the auger, even gas units.

I was surprised to hear the drill worked so well because, when I use my auger, I need to put quite a bit of torque on it---sometimes baking up (CCW) and going again. I don't remember exactly what I do, but I think I lift it up when the going gets too hard. I guess n when using a drill.

Biggest mistake I think people make is putting way too much pressure on the blades. My 8in Fin-Bore III cuts through the ice like butter, no need to stop and clear anything no matter how thick the ice. The entire point of the auger is to clear all that cut ice up and away from the blades. I also don't just toss it on the ice when I'm done. The cover goes on as soon as I'm done, probably why I haven't needed to sharpen it in 4+ years.

Biggest mistake I think people make is putting way too much pressure on the blades. My 8in Fin-Bore III cuts through the ice like butter, no need to stop and clear anything no matter how thick the ice. The entire point of the auger is to clear all that cut ice up and away from the blades. I also don't just toss it on the ice when I'm done. The cover goes on as soon as I'm done, probably why I haven't needed to sharpen it in 4+ years.

bingo bango. My auger requires zero pressure. I cut 120-150 holes today like nothing. One tank of gas/oil

There has been a few times where I was in a pinch and used 18 volt drills with a mixing paddle to mix 5 gallon buckets of concrete, grout, or thinset without burning up the motors and they sure aren't meant to be used for mixing such materials. Cold has no effect on anything in the drill except for the batteries and the cold air would help keep the motor cooler.

Always use my 18 volt Dewalt for doing exactly this. Dewalt seems to be the brand of choice here, a building forum I frequent is always browbeating Dewalt. Heavy yes, but mine is 14 years old and still spinning well.