I got cold just reading this

lew

At -35 the handle bars froze off the MWO's moustache .

Colder than -40 and your spit freezes in mid air before hitting the ground. You hear it pop.

At -50 exposed skin will suffer from frostbite in 2 minutes

This was learnt from a week's arctic orientation up on Hudson's Bay

I was up in White River back in the late 70's apparently it got down to -72°F (I didn't have a thermometer with me) tires were flat on the cars (or nearly) if you could get your car to start the wheels didn't want to turn. That was more than cold enough for me!

We used to get -50 when I was a kid in Flin Flon, Manitoba all the time. Still had to walk to school. Nobody closed down, it was business as usual. I used to wrap a thin scarf around my face and the hood of my snowsuit so when I walked I would still see somewhat. Maybe that's why I don't mind ice fishing, it's not really that cold down here :w00t:

My dad grew up in Saskatchewan and always talked about 40 below in the winter, but said you never noticed the cold because it was dry......ya right, 40 below is 40 below :lol:

Funny they say the same crap here about heat. It gets to be 102F and they ask is it a dry heat? The theory of dry heat is you can sweat faster with less resistance so you it feels cooler.

Art

The wind is the killer in the cold,along with dampness.

Last Saturday,it was blowing and frigg,n cold. Thought the day was going to be misserable.

Once we arrived at our spot. No wind,same temp. No dampness. It was a pleasureable day.

Ya,lets get those -20 dry temps here,and there will be no arguments about safe ice.

Isn't a welding torch dry heat too?

Very dry it is scorched air so the humidity is 0. The ability to evaporate is greater the further you are from 100% humidity. See when you exercise you and generate body heat which you bleed off by sweating. A person who is at 50% humidity will have a slick or small beads of sweat while the same person will have sweat all over themselves at 75% humidity. The cooling effect is the evaporation not in the actual sweating. It is possible to be in a high humidity place and have heat stroke.( overdressed in the winter). You also can have heat stroke in a dry place if your body can not cool off by evaporation.

Art