I wish I knew what I did wrong?

Big Cliff

There is all this talk about karma! They say you get what you give! All I want to know is who did I piss off and why?

As many of you know I have had my share of bad luck lately. Storm ripped roof off of part of house. Storm dropped big tree on garage. Storm droppd big tree with nice new deer stand. Storme destroyed nice new boat house. Wind storm destroyed new ice hut.

This morning I got up and went to have a shower, water was SUPER hot. After my shower I decided to go down to the basement to see why. Basement is flooded! apparently my gas valve on my hot water tank has failed causing my reliefe valve to "relieve" all over the floor. Carpet is saturated, laminate floor is actually floating, walls are soaked. Everything is a mess! If good begets good I must have done some really bad things in a former life!

And they wonder why drink?

Sorry to hear Cliff. Your new heater make sure that the Pressure relief valve is piped to a floor drain. We can also install a water alarm that is available thru amazon if you have any problems finding one give me a holler and I will send you one.

Art

You'll get through this Cliff. Sorry you seem to be having some unluck right now.

I saw a saying that made me laugh the other day. It was "Karma is a B_tch, but only if you are"

Since you are male, I guess that does not pertain to you :whistling: . I think you live in a particularly storm prone area, and then you had a flood in the basement. It's the house, and property that must be female, not you ;)

Geez Cliff, thats rough... i had an inch of water in my basement a couple of years ago when my sump failed... promised myself id never finsih the basement and now EVERYTHING is off the floor in case.... i hope things get better... get the insurance guys in and get it cleaned up fast.. its why you pay!!

Tough run of luck for you this year Cliff, hopefully that's the end of it.

My son had a hot water pipe blow apart in his place years ago and left him with $30,000 in damages but the insurance fixed it all up for him and they even put him and his wife up in a hotel including all meals while they did it.

Hopefully you get treated as good as they were.

Well Cliff, here's one for you. I don't have my kids until 7 days from now. You two can use my place as needed. I just need 1 of the 3 bedrooms and you have my cell so I will leave it up to you. Tomorrow I do plan to go fishing with 'E' but you know how to reach me. You two are MORE that welcome to stay here if needed (pet's inc.) AND we could work on the smoker when I'm not at work... ;)

Sorry to hear Cliff. Your new heater make sure that the Pressure relief valve is piped to a floor drain. We can also install a water alarm that is available thru amazon if you have any problems finding one give me a holler and I will send you one.

Art

No floor drain Art, it is a raised bungalow but we are on a septic system and I may see if it can be run to that. I checked and there is a wet monitor that I can get right here.

You'll get through this Cliff. Sorry you seem to be having some unluck right now.

I saw a saying that made me laugh the other day. It was "Karma is a B_tch, but only if you are"

Since you are male, I guess that does not pertain to you :whistling: . I think you live in a particularly storm prone area, and then you had a flood in the basement. It's the house, and property that must be female, not you ;)

I can assure you I lost touch with my female side long ago Joey, :whistling: you are right it must be the property :unsure:

Do you have floor drains?

No floor draines, I'm not sure it would have helped if there were, the water wicked all through the carpet even up into the drywall.

Tough run of luck for you this year Cliff, hopefully that's the end of it.

My son had a hot water pipe blow apart in his place years ago and left him with $30,000 in damages but the insurance fixed it all up for him and they even put him and his wife up in a hotel including all meals while they did it.

Hopefully you get treated as good as they were.

Early estimates from the restoration company are 8-10 grand but judging by the amount of carpet and laminate flooring they have already removed I suspect it is going to cost a lot more than that. I'll be calling the insurance company first thing this morning to see what they can do to help us.

Sorry to hear Cliff. You are always the first to reach out and try to help someone on this board. You don't deserve this run of misfortune right now; especially before Christmas.

Hope the Lotto-Max people come looking for you.

Checked my tickets first thing this morning, I don't think the $5.00 I won is going to help much LOL

Well Cliff, here's one for you. I don't have my kids until 7 days from now. You two can use my place as needed. I just need 1 of the 3 bedrooms and you have my cell so I will leave it up to you. Tomorrow I do plan to go fishing with 'E' but you know how to reach me. You two are MORE that welcome to stay here if needed (pet's inc.) AND we could work on the smoker when I'm not at work... ;)

That is a very genorous offer Geoff, thank you so much! I think we'll be fine, about the only thing we are doing without right now is hot water and Sue just told me I needed a COLD shower anyway. It will all work out it was just disheartening when I walked down the stairs and saw the mess.

Thanks so much for all the kind words, thoughts, and offers everyone. What a crew!

No floor drain Art, it is a raised bungalow but we are on a septic system and I may see if it can be run to that. I checked and there is a wet monitor that I can get right here.

Do you not have a sewage pump downstairs Cliff, in addition to your sump ??

Reason I ask is I've also got a raised bungalow with a septic system, but I've also got 2 floor drains in the basement that feed into a sewage pump system. One is in the furnace room and the other is in the downstairs bathroom. Any water in there is pumped up to the septic.

Do you not have a sewage pump downstairs Cliff, in addition to your sump ??

Reason I ask is I've also got a raised bungalow with a septic system, but I've also got 2 floor drains in the basement that feed into a sewage pump system. One is in the furnace room and the other is in the downstairs bathroom. Any water in there is pumped up to the septic.

No Lew, we have quite a slope to our yard and our field bed is down hill from the house so no pump necessary. I am not sure why there are no floor drains in here other than we have really good natural drainage (except when the water comes from inside the house to start with). Unless the drain had been right beside the tank it wouldn't have helped anyway, everything down stairs is either carpet or laminate flooring.

I find it very odd that there is no floor drain by the HW tank / furnace area at all. Even though you have septic you should still have a drain of some sort going to the sump pump.

There is no sump pump. We do not have any problem with water coming into the house from outside. The ground here drops 8' in just under 40' we are built on the side of a hill so there is plenty of natural dranage and it is all gravel. I guess when they built this place no one planned for water coming from the inside.