I wish I knew what I did wrong?

Big Cliff

That sucks Cliff. I hope you have a low deductible and I hope they restore your basement the way you want it!

You have the same setup as my place, no floor drain. Its unnecessary due to great drainage, but a drain sure can help in the event of a disaster.

I just had an on-going septic back-up issue. We had to rip up our floors the first time it happened. The second and third time we were more aware and caught it quickly. It finally got fixed by my awesome pregnant and resourceful wife who actually dug up the septic lid and called in a pumper truck who FINALLY pulled out a nasty plug...I was in Winnipeg and she couldn't reach any of our guy friends to help.

Anyway, I kind of know what your going through and it's a real burden.

Well, from the sound of it there is a lot more damage than they thought originally but apparently the insurance will cover it, quite a mess down there though, they have had to cut all the drywall to about 2' up the walls, rip up all the base boards, the doors are all scrap and the carpeting will all have to be replaced. All the door frames are toast, insulation in many areas will have to be replaced. Oh well, Sue wanted the basement painted now I guess I won't have to worry about doing that LOL.

They think they can have everything finished up before Christmas for us though so that is a good thing! I do have to say that Superior Desaster Kleenup have been fantastic to deal with and it turns out that they are approved by State Farm and work with them all the time so they really know what they can do and have to do and that will speed up the whole process.

Rod Caster glad to hear that you got your problem sorted out, septic system problems can be a real pain. We had a whole new field bed put in last year because ours was starting to act up.

Fishnsled that has to be it; year 2013, house# 313, I was born on Jan. 13 this will be our 13th year in this house The tank started leaking on the 6th I didn't find out until the 7th, 6+7= 13 And here I always thought 13 was my lucky number LOL.

We have 2 floor drains that go to our sump pump.

Beside the pump and a little way down the hole I have a water sensor that is part of a 'Home Sitter'. Bought it at TSC in Lindsay for about $70. It calls up to 3 phone numbers and alarms in the house if: temp goes too high, temp goes too low, power goes out for more than 15 min, or if water touches the sensor.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Heating-Ventilation-Cooling-Home-Comfort/Heating/Furnace-Parts-Acc/Thermostats-Acc/4-Way-Freeze-Heat-Alarm-Monitor/_/N-ntilv/R-I5570927

It has paid for itself once big time. (well in conjunction with my generator that is).

All sorts of things can ruin your day Cliff... but it sounds like you've run the entire gauntlet !!

Floor drain... should be there in the utility room and with mine I also have a P trapped pipe for the A/C condensate drain.. HRV condensate drain.. Humidifier drain etc and a future bar sink. If no floor drain, get that tank blow off plumbed out through the wall in case it ever happens again. Another thing to consider... I have all of the above and came home to our, thankfully unfinished, basement flooded from end to end last year. The drain on the humidifier plugged up and that little trickle of water feeding it over a week+ made it out of the utility room and formed about 1/2" of water end to end in the basement ruining a lot of stuff in boxes. The humidifier just happened to be above the one high spot in the floor and while a bit of water made it to the floor drain.. most went under the wall and out into the main room. Once everything was dry... I used Buytlene caulking and sealed the utility room wall to the floor about 1" up and out.. then formed a bead on the floor in the shape of the doors sweep, with an inch or so clearance to the actual door, about 3/4" high. Now if it ever happens again... and it won't of course... the water will stay in the utility room and make it to the floor drain (or at least that's the plan!)

We have 2 floor drains that go to our sump pump.

Beside the pump and a little way down the hole I have a water sensor that is part of a 'Home Sitter'. Bought it at TSC in Lindsay for about $70. It calls up to 3 phone numbers and alarms in the house if: temp goes too high, temp goes too low, power goes out for more than 15 min, or if water touches the sensor.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Heating-Ventilation-Cooling-Home-Comfort/Heating/Furnace-Parts-Acc/Thermostats-Acc/4-Way-Freeze-Heat-Alarm-Monitor/_/N-ntilv/R-I5570927

It has paid for itself once big time. (well in conjunction with my generator that is).

Sounds like something every home should have! Sure would have saved me a lot of money and trouble! Guess I'll be going to TSC tomorrow.