Need Brighter Headlights !!! NF

Entropy

I got a 2013 Hyundai Accent in the spring.

I know, I know, should have bought this, should have bought that..... But..... It meats my commuting needs very well.

Here is the problem.

The headlights work, both the high beams and low beams, and they seem to ‘land’ in the right spot on the road, but on wet roads or rainy roads at pre-dawn and after dark hours, it seems like it is just not enough light to drive safely. I drive country roads and do so at the speed limit or the usual over the limit, but I’m certain I’m over driving my lights. I’d love to see the deer and pot holes coming before I hit them.

I’m thinking of putting in a pair of brighter bulbs, but don’t want to spend $60 to $120 on a pair only to find them just a tinny bit better.

Has anyone here had the same problem? What kind of bulbs did you put in?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Entropy

I bought a Rav4 in July. Same problem. I could have gotten the model with "driving" lights extra, but didn't.So, I am retrofitting them to mine, and that should fix the problem. I wear glasses too, but dark wet roads are a killer for my eyes. Hopefully it snows a bit out this way soon. Snow on the road edge always makes it easier to see. I hate drivers with extra strong headlites. They tend to blind on coming drivers. At least with a set of driving lites, you can shut them off if an on coming driver asks you to.

My 2013 F150 came with HID bulbs and even the low beams are like the landing lights on a 747, and when I put on the hi beams it's like the sun has just come up.

Really incredible lights, specially on the very dark back country roads that I normally travel on.

There are many vehicles out there that headlights just plain suck on.

First step is to check the housing. Make sure the reflective material behind the bulb is still shiny and clean. without this reflection, your lights wont work, plain and simple.

next make sure the outer lens isn't stone pitted or discolored. If it is, the pitting diffuses the light all over the place but the road. There are many kinds of polishing kits on the market. Takes time to do them right, the cheap polish kits don't last, they simply temporarily fill in the pits.

Like fisherman said, there are brighter bulbs, but they tend to burn out quickly. I'd suggest some additional lighting be added. Here again, don't cheap out or you are wasting your time and money. Get some lights that are not flood but a beam that will shine forward.

Wayne should be able to get you some aircraft landing lights, they work well :D

Back when I drove an Acura Integra I had the same problem - switched the bulbs to Nighthawks (sold at Cdn Tire) and it helped quite a bit. Think they are around $50 for a pair. I tried some of the 'aftermarket' super bright stuff too and they always burnt out within around 6 months.

I do a fair bit of driving at night on wet or slippery roads too with my part time job and I have to tell you that my biggest problem is with the other drivers having the brightest lights (and perhaps not set up properly).

Man they can make it almost impossible for me to see the road. If you think that is "my" problem, just imagine what would happen if your lights blind me and I catch a sholder as we are approching? Oh, and I'm driving a truck, you might see me coming but it will probably be too late!

I do a fair bit of driving at night on wet or slippery roads too with my part time job and I have to tell you that my biggest problem is with the other drivers having the brightest lights (and perhaps not set up properly).

Man they can make it almost impossible for me to see the road. If you think that is "my" problem, just imagine what would happen if your lights blind me and I catch a sholder as we are approching? Oh, and I'm driving a truck, you might see me coming but it will probably be too late!

I hear you on that one Cliff, and have a the same problem too. But, at this point I need more light of some sort.

Perhaps it's a small car thing. They sit so low to the road that the light does not bounce off the road and return to the driver as well as SUV and Tucks.

It's my first car and the lights are low to the ground. My van and old SUV didn't have this problem.

Either way I want to keep me and my family safe, yours as well.

Entropy

I hear you on that one Cliff, and have a the same problem too. But, at this point I need more light of some sort.

Perhaps it's a small car thing. They sit so low to the road that the light does not bounce off the road and return to the driver as well as SUV and Tucks.

It's my first car and the lights are low to the ground. My van and old SUV didn't have this problem.

Either way I want to keep me and my family safe, yours as well.

Entropy

As do I my friend!

Edited by Big Cliff

HID

Not in stock housings, all you'll do is blind everyone else on the road and have worse light output.

More wattage = more light. Fancy bulbs aren't going to do anything. The OP should look into a set of relays if the output is that bad.

Edited by BillM

being a 2013, i suspect the lenses are fine and not pitted or discolored. have a google at hyundai forums and see what others with your vehicle have done to upgrade the lighting. bill is right, fancy bulbs will have minimal impact and HIDs in stock housings are a bad idea.

This may not help you,but my explorer came with lower driving lamps and a switch.If I can't see the lines in rain,put them on and it helps alot.

I would try the night hawk,obviously a new vehicle the lenses would be fine.I know a couple guys that have them and swear by them.I can sure tell who has them through my rear view mirror .lol.

This may not help you,but my explorer came with lower driving lamps and a switch.If I can't see the lines in rain,put them on and it helps alot.

I would try the night hawk,obviously a new vehicle the lenses would be fine.I know a couple guys that have them and swear by them.I can sure tell who has them through my rear view mirror .lol.

Thats what I do now, I think its more my lousy eyesight than anything else!!!

how are the lenses on the headlights ? sometimes they need to be buffed out, or I know there is a solution out there that can take that film off, which helped me out significantly. however my vehicle is older.

Car is new in March

This eve when driving home I held the high beam / low beam switch lever thing in the middle to make both light up at once, and that is what I'd like to see. An extra set of driving lights might make the difference, or I guess trying a better set of headlight bulbs.

I sure hope it is not my eyes, I'm under 40 years of age, and have no problems with vision.

Entropy