Over the limit gets a $1600 fine

hammercarp

What do you even do with 32 rainbows? I bet some were intended for the tomatoe garden.

A lifetime ban should be given plus jail time, plus community service at local spring fishing shows

Think a bit...

Lifetime ban = no more license dollars from the individual.... That's just not smart business wide...

Jail = cost to taxpayers....

A large fine works best... Then put the money to something good like stocking...

I wonder if they were able to also search his home.... Based on this, I would certainly think they're are more offences to be found in his freezer. Guys like this need a lifetime ban, and at the absolute minimum their vechicle seized, with community service. If you don't comply with that, then right in the slammer with a 350lb monster named "bubba"

I have no tolerance for criminals.

I don't get this ban stuff.

The guy wasn't fishing, he was poaching. That is already illegal.

The law says anything he was using to poach can be confiscated...take his van, and give a healthy fine.

One or 2 fish over a limit on a long trip is one thing (yes, its still breaking the law), but a cooler full of fish is out and out poaching and deserves special treatment like a real criminal.

no way is that enough, put a tracking device on him that beeps within a radius of a body of water LOL, but 32 fish what is that $50 a fish hardly seems enough I wonder how many were out of the slot sizes, definitely a slap on the wrist should add a few zeros to that number

I think it is more than likely that the rainbows and specks were caught in the pine and were likely under 10" in length.

Not very likely they were steelhead.

This certainly doesn't make it right but it's not nearly as bad as it would be if they were steelhead.

I used to fish that piece of water all the time and the only time I was able to get anything of size was on opener.

I live in this area and believe it or not there is a lot of enforcement by the MNR on the upper stretches of the Pine and Boyne ,you might not see them but they are there. See the trucks driving around all the time so like this guy , others will

be caught eventually . 32 fish over is a disgrace and total disrespect of "our" resources , I agree with Roy and they should have gave him a much larger fine and put his face out there for everyone

to see . Shame this idiot !

The 3 year license suspension can't be much of a deterrant either. If he wasn't afraid to keep 32 fish over his limit, he won't be afraid to continue to fish without a license,

I have seen it right here on Sturgeon lake, busted one day for way over the limit, back fishing the next day and laughing about the whole thing!

Loss of license is a joke to these people. In addition to stiff fines, a clear photo of the individual on the net might be a good thing and it would not cost the tax payer a cent. Just sayin'.

Loss of license? Roy most of these people that would go out there and take OOS fish and over limits don't respect the law in the first place. Loss of license to them doesn't mean a thing, most of them don't bother getting one in the first place.

all of them were in a cooler, so they must have been pretty small!

I have a 150 quart cooler, I haven't tried it yet but I bet I could fit 30, 2-3 lb rainbow in it and still have room for a beer or two.

He had Brookies too... So I'm wondering if he was at a trout quary or something... They get stocked in the fall and catching high numbers for a few weeks is normal... Your looking at 8-12 inch fish most of the time....

I've seen guys limit multiple times and keep dropping fish off at their car 2-3-4 times a day

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Wow, this is a tough crowd!

You guys want jail sentences, $50k fines, vehicles confiscated, and public humiliation ..... for what? Keeping a cooler of illegal fish. Come on, those kinds of punishments can ruin lives and destroy families.

The punishment should fit the crime. For a first time offender who keeps a cooler full of fish .... a $1,600 fine and loss of license seems reasonable. That's a lot of money and will sting enough that he'll certainly be more carefull in the future. Heck, for some people, that's a year's worth of savings. Its also more than enough money to replace the fish he took. I do agree though that some community service time would be good additional punishment, and any repeat offenses should have heavier consequences.

I feel very strongly about resource management and the enforecement of conservation laws .... but you guys are just being ridiculous.