WHAT DO YOU GUYS USE?

Roe Bag

I have a new 40 horsepower Mercury four stroke. (March 2013) Mercury's 20W50 synthetic blend is $62.00 for 4 litres. Currently full synthetic Castrol Edge is on sale for $33.97 for 5 litres.

Castrol claims there is no better protection on the market.

Mercury claims there are special additives for better protection in a marine envirionment.

Marketing ploy? Scam?

Don't want to do anything that might void my warranty, but $15.50 a litre. Yikes!

Thought I'd change all the fluids and stabilize my fuel system sometime next month. Wanna squeeze in a couple of more trips before the snow starts to fly.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance, kwikfish.

Rotella T6 5w40 in our Yamaha F115. My buddy who's a mechanic for the Coast Guard says it will be just fine. I tend to trust what he says, lol.

Mercury doesn't make their own oil, it's just rebranded.. There's no way I'd spend $15 a litre on oil for my friggin boat, lol! The engine is nothing special.

I have a new 40 horsepower Mercury four stroke. (March 2013) Mercury's 20W50 synthetic blend is $62.00 for 4 litres. Currently full synthetic Castrol Edge is on sale for $33.97 for 5 litres.

Castrol claims there is no better protection on the market.

Mercury claims there are special additives for better protection in a marine envirionment.

Marketing ploy? Scam?

Don't want to do anything that might void my warranty, but $15.50 a litre. Yikes!

Thought I'd change all the fluids and stabilize my fuel system sometime next month. Wanna squeeze in a couple of more trips before the snow starts to fly.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance, kwikfish.

I'm not sure you need to go synthetic, but I would definately go with a made for marine oil.

My new 115 Merc calls for 25/40 oil.

Our water is so cold here the mechanic at the dealership here told me to use the 10/30.

He also suggested that I use the Merc oil while under warranty just in case there is a motor issue.

Once the warranty is up it will get Mobile 1 full synthetic just like all my other 4 stroke engines do. ;)

I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil in my Yamaha since new ( 10 years ) no issues what so ever . In fact I think it's way better oil than Yamalube.

Just make sure the oil is correct grade / weight as per your owners manual.

My new 115 Merc calls for 25/40 oil.. ;)

Mine too. Guess I'll bite the bullet and stick with Mercury at least until the warranty expires. The money I'm saving on gas and two stroke oil pays more than the difference anyway.

Hardly any point in cheapin' out.

Appreciate the replies.

Thanks, kwikfish.

I had electronic issue with OMC that started before the warranty ran out and continue into the next season. After lot's of try's the solution was to change all 7 sensors for new.

I was there when the call was made to OMC and the 1st ? was what kind of oil was used in this motor. So I use factory oil for the whole warranty period and for a year after.

I use all Yamaha oils & filters for my 150 four stroke.

It's what I've used since the Yammie was new and I've never had an issue and besides, the dealer is only a few miles down the hiway so it's one stop shopping.

Might cost me a few $$$$ more but it's only once a year and I know everything will be good.