Mixed bag last night

mike rousseau

Hey all...

The fall walleye bite is well underway... So the search is on to find biting fish...

Last night was one of the most mixed bags of fish as well as techniques I've had in a while... But it was the various techniques that got me some sweet fish...

I started off throwing a chunky Swimbait... I connected with a feisty 23 inch eye within a few minutes.... About 10 minutes after that I somehow managed to snag a 45" musky in the tail.... After a long battle she was ok after a quick water release.... Just lucky the water was cool...

Then I tried trolling through the area I got the walleye casting... Bang... I got smoked... It didn't feel big be it was taking runs and peeling line... I had no idea what it was... The I saw it... Baaaaaaaa... Sheepshead....

I'm outta here...lol

Them I went searching for new fish/spots.... I went to a spot we have got few walleye in the past but we hadn't "figured" the spot out yet... The sonar lit up... I dropped down a shiny offering jigging vertical and on the 3rd or 4th lift I got smoked... And it was heavy... I thought right away that I might have found another sturgeon holding area and accidentally got one of them... Nope... Get the fish to the surface.... 27" walleye.... Awesome!!! Quick release... Drop my line again.... Couple more jigs and bang.... Another heavy fish.... Unfortunately this time is was a sturgeon..... After a 30-45 minute epic battle on 6lb fire line on a 6'3" med light spinning rod.... A huge beast came to the surface.... This dinosaur measured in at 57" without a tail pinch... Longest fish I've ever boated...

After that I picked up a buddy and did the night troll... Found a new spot... And finished the day with 9 walleye.... 1 giant sturgeon... 1 sheepshead... 1 musky... 1 smally...

Also saw the St.Lawrence River Institute out electro shocking for fish... Eels I think... Great to see $$$ being spent in our area...

Fun and interesting day...

Sorry I don't have pics...

???

Last time "I" posted a pic of an accidental sturgeon I got reamed...

I know they're protected and closed year round... But when they end up being my biggest catch of my life I'll take a pic every time... I've caught a fair amount now and only take pics if it's a new PB...

Here you go...

No slamming please.... The fish was only outta water for a few seconds.... And it was an accidental catch... I got a 27" walleye just a minute earlier in the exact same spot....

Mods if this turns into a bashing just shut her down ok...

That's a 60" tape for reference....

image-58.jpg

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I would love to get down there with my underwater cameras and get shots of those big ones swimming around

I know a couple spots chuck full of emTerry...

My underwater camera doesn't record.... It's a cheapy black and white...

We could get some great footage in this clear water...