Fire starters for emergency if needed. Do you carry anything?

npt1

Hello Everyone,

I always have a fire starter kit with me when I am fishing or portaging into a back lake.

It consists of wooden matches with waxed over heads, magnifying glass, corks soaked

in rubbing alcohol and sealed in plastic zip lock bag, and if all else fail due to wet conditions, a can of sterno.

Its light weight and easy to carry.

What do you use?

A Zippo kept in a good Ziploc bag. Or no bag. Never had a problem. Worked outdoors on the docks, in the rain, waves pounding on the wharf, and us. You can't radio the First Mate on the ore laker and tell him we'll dock your boat when the wind and rain die down.

What's the magnifying glass for? If it's to use the Sun to burn , if everything is wet it's probably raining and overcast. A lighter works great.

I always have a roll of toilet paper in the boat, inside an ice cream container and a lighter. The paper can serve two purposes. If I am going some place that doesn't have cottages along the shoreline, I also carry Ronson's lighter fluid and a blue tarp for an emergency shelter.

I feel like im watching an episode of survivorman..........A Bic lighter has never failed me.

Ill add the question.......Has anyone ever successfully created fire "rubbing two sticks together". Theres many techniques, and ive tried a couple with ZERO success lol

I like the dryer lint trick. I'm going to try it on the fire asap. Steel Wool has manganese in it, burns very hot but for a very short time. Like I said as many others have mentioned a lighter works great.

I always shake my head when I watch Les Stroud, why didn't you bring a lighter!!!!!!!! My wife always reminds me it's a TV show. That goes for all the other survivalist shows out there. I love the one with the former US special forces guy with the pretty British blond wife. She's always screaming about some bug or snake she has to kill and eat.

I always shake my head when I watch Les Stroud, why didn't you bring a lighter!!!!!!!! My wife always reminds me it's a TV show. That goes for all the other survivalist shows out there. I love the one with the former US special forces guy with the pretty British blond wife. She's always screaming about some bug or snake she has to kill and eat.

I cant pass up a good survival show. I like them all.......Survivorman, Dual Survival (with the old partner Dave, dont like the new guy), Man/Woman/Wild is the one with the hysterical british lady lol. I cant blame her, the guy made her drink his urine once. Not big on bear grylls but ill watch him in a pinch.

I found the only problem with lighters is that if you're freezing cold and near hypothermic, getting your fingers to grasp and trip the lighter is pretty tough. magnesium sticks and dry tinder also work well. ymmv

This is a good point......especially on the "child proof" flint wheels .Ill switch from the wheel to the push button

I cant pass up a good survival show. I like them all.......Survivorman, Dual Survival (with the old partner Dave, dont like the new guy), Man/Woman/Wild is the one with the hysterical british lady lol. I cant blame her, the guy made her drink his urine once. Not big on bear grylls but ill watch him in a pinch.

If you like a good survival show, check out naked and afraid on discovery channel its crazy. No clothes, minimal filming crew( maybe 1 or 2 people), they each get one item to bring, and its 28 days of survival in places like Africa, Borneo, Amazon etc

If you like a good survival show, check out naked and afraid on discovery channel its crazy. No clothes, minimal filming crew( maybe 1 or 2 people), they each get one item to bring, and its 28 days of survival in places like Africa, Borneo, Amazon etc

HAHA, i actually meant to mention that one. Ive seen it..........two strangers meet in their birthday suits and hang out in a survival situation.......uhm AWKWARD

If you like a good survival show, check out naked and afraid on discovery channel its crazy. No clothes, minimal filming crew( maybe 1 or 2 people), they each get one item to bring, and its 28 days of survival in placesa like Africa, Borneo, Amazon etc

That's nuts. I love it. Maybe next is a survival show with more than 1 ex wife for 28 days. How about a show where everyone is a multiple amputee. Please no cards or letters. It's a joke.

I'll always bring a lighter, which is the primary method for speed and efficiency. I also bring a flint striker to throw a spark as well. You don't have to worry about fuel or about it getting wet. To go along with those two methods, I also bring a small sealed container with a few cotton balls. Just need a small amount (< 1/10th of one) and the spark from the flint or flame from the lighter catches quickly. Some people prefer to soak the cotton in vaseline first, which keeps the flame a bit longer. Sock lint works well too! Just be sure to have lots of dry tinder to keep it going!