Fire starters for emergency if needed. Do you carry anything?

npt1

I feel like im watching an episode of survivorman..........A Bic lighter has never failed me.

Ill add the question.......Has anyone ever successfully created fire "rubbing two sticks together". Theres many techniques, and ive tried a couple with ZERO success lol

Yes, but using a rubbing stick on a grooved channel. It requires dry wood and patience

Always have a lighter since i smoke, rarely do i not have a flashlight that i can destroy to make a fire plus the battery in the boat which i can always get a spark off of. Usually have lighters hidden in other places too in case one dies.

spinning a stick with a bow to create smouldering works. You just need a rock or wood to hold the top of the stick.

It absolutely works, its just not easy. You need the right materials for sure, or its not going to happen. A bic lighter works much better.

S.

I have used wood to start a fire several times. Altough this was under ideal circumstances doing it just for fun. Could I do it in an emergency? Yes. Would I want to? No. What do I carry? A pack of waterproof strike anywhere matches and a knife. No need to carry tinder in north america. There is tinder everywhere. Especially in Ontario. Cedar and birch trees are everywhere. When I hunt I have a piece of firesteel with me and I can light a fire no problem with that either in rain or snow.

I use cotton balls soaked in Vaseline and light it with a Ferro rod.

I made starters with a Ferro rod attached to an aluminum pill capsule. I can fit about four cotton balls in there. They're super compact and keep one on an emergency key chain along with a whistle and compass.

In my full blown kit I carry a film container with the balls and a few sticks of fat wood. I also carry a Ferro rod on my knife sheath.