Need some help with a security system

Big Cliff

In light of recent events I have spent several hours now trying to research security systems but to be honest with you I am overwhelemed with all the technology. (getting too old to absorb all the bits and pieces).

Here is what I think I need; 4 cameras, wireless, night vision, color would be nice. Must be able to recore about 1 week at a time, I don't need realtime monitoring but want to be able to go back and review a week worth of data if and when necessary. From what I understand SD card would be better than DVD for storage but suggestions would be appreciated.

Distance from the furtherest camera to the recorder would be about 75-100'.

Budget: $500.00 or less. I don't want to break the bank here if I can help it but saving $100.00 and ending up with a system that doesn't work well wouldn't be any kind of a saving.

If anyone can help me selecting a system (and if possible even installing and setting it up) it would be very much appreciated. I am willing to pay for time and travel for someone that knows what they are doing.

Thanks!

Big Cliff

Hard to fill your shopping list with that amount of cash.

I would suggest to start with a hunter cam. You can get one that does infrared, runs on AA batteries, and stores the images on a SD card. It will run for several weeks and, depending on the size of your card, hold thousands of images. You may be able to get two units for 5 bones.

I have a friend who had some problems. The thief took his cam! Now he has a new one with another one hidden better which is focused on the other cam! Brutal....

I wouldn't put a game camera in place of a real security camera. That just seems like a huge hassle.

Cliff, the biggest issue you'll have is power the remote cameras.. If power isn't an issue (ie you've got power to places you want to install them), a wireless setup should be fairly simple.

You can get the live camera footage displayed on your smartphone if you want :)

Edited by BillM

Actually, that brings up a really good point, If I can get power to the camera I shouldn't need to go wireless, I might have to run some extra wire back to the recorder but with a bit of careful planning I might be able to figure out how to do that without having wires strung all over the place.

Cliff check out futureshop.ca type in surveillance. Defender is the brand name, although I cant vouch for them personally, but they are reasonably priced and there are tutorials on installation and operational aspects aswell. regardless of where you go to get them I Think you can 100 % set something up within your budget maybe even cheaper!

Actually, that brings up a really good point, If I can get power to the camera I shouldn't need to go wireless, I might have to run some extra wire back to the recorder but with a bit of careful planning I might be able to figure out how to do that without having wires strung all over the place.

Wireless is so much easier... Embrace technology :)

Cliff, perhaps consider a differnet solution... a "BFD".

For those not familiar with a BFD, it has four legs and a mouth full of teeth and is usually a willing fishing partner!

I get telemarketers calling the house all the time. They try to sell me security systems and I always say that I have one already... my BFD.

Tends to shut them down pretty quick...

Just a suggestion!

HH

Cliff, perhaps consider a differnet solution... a "BFD".

For those not familiar with a BFD, it has four legs and a mouth full of teeth and is usually a willing fishing partner!

I get telemarketers calling the house all the time. They try to sell me security systems and I always say that I have one already... my BFD.

Tends to shut them down pretty quick...

Just a suggestion!

HH

I already have a LMD system (Little Mouthy Dog) Problem is that my garage doors face the road and you can't see them from the house. Also, at night, if she barked at every noise around here we'd be shooting the dog because we'd never get any sleep LOL.

The other problem is that we aren't always at home so if someone goes to the garage and the dog is in the house it isn't going to do much good. At this point I want to catch the PR that is doing this stuff. I don't really care if the police can do anything with the information or not, once I can prove who it is I can take care of the rest. It isn't even so much about the stuff that is missing, it is more about the fact that someone stole it from me and I don't know what they will steal next. If it happens again I will be ready for them though you can be sure of that.

Cliff check out futureshop.ca type in surveillance. Defender is the brand name, although I cant vouch for them personally, but they are reasonably priced and there are tutorials on installation and operational aspects aswell. regardless of where you go to get them I Think you can 100 % set something up within your budget maybe even cheaper!

Checked it out, thanks! Still trying to figure out which is the best way to go, wired, wireless both seem to have advantages/disadvantages. I know that to a lot of you guys most of this stuff seems easy but to be honest with you I have trouble figuring out my Blackberry and all of it's functions. Technology is moving much faster than my brain can keep up with LOL.

Wired would be the way to go. I'm planning on going with ip cameras wired with cat5 cable which provides signal and power so you don't have to run co-ax and power separate. You would need a hub and a computer to go with it. You could also access them with a smart phone....

where can you find the dummy cameras? I've never had an issue at my current house but back a few months my parents had a garage sale at their place and someone saw the dirt bikes in the garage

the next morning we got a knock on the door from the neighbor down the street asking if we were missing them haha

turned out they dumped them on people's grass because they couldn't start them, I disconnect the fuel line when they aren't going to be used for the next few weeks just for security sake and it ended up saving about $10,000 in insurance money

This guy knows,cuz I seen it first hand.. On the boat ,he can scan his home. NERD he might be,but a GOOD nerd.LOL

If you are just wanting to record the garage you can have the recorder in the garage hard wired to the camera. This would make it easier with the wiring and power concerns. You can review the recording when you want or if you feel something is out of place.

Art

Price is right, but Linux operating system? Not sure how that would work out with my Windows Vista. These are the kinds of questions that I don't know the answers to so I get confused. I'm sure there is a way around it but where do I start?

Take a look at Costco if you or a friend has a membership. They have many different models and also the great Costco return policy if it doesn't work the way you want.

http://www.costco.ca/surveillance-systems.html?langId=-24&storeId=10302&catalogId=11201&identifier=surveillance-systems&categoryId=32146&sortBy=PriceMin%7C0

Burt :)

They are all a self contained system, you don't need to hook them up to your puter but can be hooked up to a network and internet

Yup, it's all self contained. You'd be happy to know that Linux is about 1,000 times more stable then Windows is :)